Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 6 Next »

unu

Quoted from repu

http://i.imgur.com/02PQyrQ.png

LOL

Selek

Dr. med.

Quoted from Fuxx

What stops the player from circumventing it by having a friend do the bet for him?

It’s so bloody easy to find loopholes, you’d be better off either allowing match betting unrestricted or ban it as a whole altogether.

As long as you don’t sit next to each person, there always will be ways to exploit the rules. But it might help to make exploiting and match fixing more bothersome.

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Quoted from ducky

[…]

[…]

Let the weed burning commence…

On a side note:

Any rules put in place by saloon.tf will have much more of an impact against “match fixing” than anything that we could come up with.

After all they have the control over your valuables.
The potential loss of items that you’ve committed by betting on fixed matches aswell as a follow-up ban on the site itself may be enough of a deterrence.

Of course this is just one of the many ways that one could go about this.

I’m confident in cherrys ability to develop a ruleset which can prevent these kind of malicious activities… he’s somewhat german after all ;P

I am confident Cherry can do it as well, point is to have a clear black and white rule in place as a preventative measure for ETF2L as a league.

Admin discretion is a rubbish clause to enforce rules, no transparency nor consistency. Obviously Match Fixing is frowned upon but what is the punishment? Player gets a season ban? Year ban? Team gets major warning? In what ways will it be disallowed?

Here copy + paste to your rule page:

Match Rules 3.10 – Any attempts of purposely manipulating the outcome of any game by either an individual involved or a third party to gain a profit (Known as “Match Fixing”) will be punishable with lengthy bans for players + teams involved.

Clear and cut, no issues. Zero tolerance, strong announcement of intent for preventive measures from the beginning.

Last edited by Hildreth,

Fuxx

REMOVE

Quoted from Hildreth

Match Rules 3.10 – Any attempts of purposely manipulating the outcome of any game by either an individual involved or a third party to gain a profit (Known as “Match Fixing”) will be punishable with lengthy bans for players + teams involved.

Clear and cut, no issues. Zero tolerance, strong announcement of intent for preventive measures from the beginning.

Zero tolerance in enforcing a rule against an offence that literally cannot be proven unless one of the people directly involved in profiting from it blabs out (why would they??) and provides screenshot evidence…
…which is funny since I’ve tried to settle some unrelated issues in the past with admins using screenshot evidence, which was dismissed and ignored as they couldn’t “confirm” that it wasn’t fake.

So- how are you going to enforce this again?

Reminder also that ETF2L also does not hold the ability to inspect trades between its users.

Last edited by Fuxx,

ondkaja

IKEA

Quoted from Fuxx

[…]

Zero tolerance in enforcing a rule against an offence that literally cannot be proven unless one of the people directly involved in profiting from it blabs out (why would they??) and provides screenshot evidence…

lol

Gubbins

Op4

Quoted from Hildreth

[…]
Here copy + paste to your rule page:

Clear and cut, no issues.

, many issues.

Technically, playing in a match that has money on the line is an individual purposefully manipulating the outcome of a game to gain a profit. That’s not match fixing, that’s not clear-cut (the actual expression) and “lengthy bans” is also a vague term.

Match fixing cases are not clear-cut, admin discretion is to stop people from abusing the rules and there is no cookie cutter for loopholes. I trust Sonny and Ash, along with the rest of the team to come to as close to the best possible solution that we can, it’s a shame that you don’t.

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Quoted from Gubbins

[…]

, many issues.

Technically, playing in a match that has money on the line is an individual purposefully manipulating the outcome of a game to gain a profit. That’s not match fixing, that’s not clear-cut (the actual expression) and “lengthy bans” is also a vague term.

Match fixing cases are not clear-cut, admin discretion is to stop people from abusing the rules and there is no cookie cutter for loopholes. I trust Sonny and Ash, along with the rest of the team to come to as close to the best possible solution that we can, it’s a shame that you don’t.

Definition of match-fixing is a technicality, manipulating a pre-determined outcome is essentially the definition of match fixing, my wording can be edited slightly to suit that arrangement.

“lenghty” bans is only vague as a disposition to the length of the punishment, it can easily adapted to fit the needs of the rule-break.

Essentially what is needed is an actual strong message, from the off-set. You can’t dance around the subject and then be faced with a massive debate and dilemma when it inevitably comes up, act with strength now and put some rules into action and in the future you will be able to make a confident determined decision.

Although Fuxx does raise a good point about how one would evaluate the evidence in such a case. I could throw the game versus Premtech on Sunday, ask a few random steam friends with no association to TF2 to bet a load of stuff on the game, trade them some items and there would be little way of tracing it or being able to prove anything.

This is a real issue that will effect the league at some point in the future, it needs to be addressed now and planned for now, a quick change to the rules is a good start. And Sonny Black and Ash are great in many areas but they can’t be expected to see everything or deal with everything.

Quoted from Hildreth

Although Fuxx does raise a good point about how one would evaluate the evidence in such a case. I could throw the game versus Premtech on Sunday, ask a few random steam friends with no association to TF2 to bet a load of stuff on the game, trade them some items and there would be little way of tracing it or being able to prove anything.

This is a real issue that will effect the league at some point in the future, it needs to be addressed now and planned for now, a quick change to the rules is a good start. And Sonny Black and Ash are great in many areas but they can’t be expected to see everything or deal with everything.

1. Obligatory screenshots of players’ trade histories.
2. Checking suspicious cases.
3. Applying bans to violators or those who fail to submit screenshots.

This would of course require a truck load of time and effort before and after all matches. It’s also only checks for trades done through steam with the players’ main accounts so someone could theoretically use another account to bet and then cash out via paypal etc. Even ip-checks wouldn’t be enough as you could just ask someone else to bet for you.

There are too many holes in the system so the best solution would be to just make violating the rules extremely bothersome in some way.

CHERRY

Quoted from RaNDoMiZe

[…]

1. Obligatory screenshots of players’ trade histories.
2. Checking suspicious cases.
3. Applying bans to violators or those who fail to submit screenshots.

This would of course require a truck load of time and effort before and after all matches. It’s also only checks for trades done through steam with the players’ main accounts so someone could theoretically use another account to bet and then cash out via paypal etc. Even ip-checks wouldn’t be enough as you could just ask someone else to bet for you.

There are too many holes in the system so the best solution would be to just make violating the rules extremely bothersome in some way.

Screenshots have zero value and are too problematic. The first step is making some clear rules then we can worry about friends betting for their pals.

Kaneco

Quoted from Coleman

One year ban if caught. Just the same as cheating.

^

Also, you can have a rule that enforces a admin check if you’re suspected and that admin check could include let’s say, a teamviewer session or something similar where an admin goes over the player tf2 inventory history, you can’t fake that. And if a player is suspected and he doesn’t agree to those terms u can just ban him anyway.

jakeowaty

Quoted from Hildreth

You could also block team members on betting on matches that involve their teams, but then again, who stops you from using multiple smurfs in order to get all the stuff?

Thankfully the game isn’t as big as, let’s say CSGO, so the chances of people actually throwing a game for some money are near minimum, but if a situation like that arises, again, the size of the community will probably ensure that that person will never be able to find a team again. It’s all gentleman’s agreement until we find a guy trying to honestly profit off of saloon.

Other thing that I wanted to point out is that you can see people’s names on bets. That is completely unecessary. Because community is so small you will be seeing nicknames that you know already, and those people have no obligation on voting for your team – they vote for who they want. That can create some animosity. Obviously, some people can react to it lightly and just take a joke, but some might not have such reaction. I’d just suggest giving the ability to hide your nickname from public.

Goreston

I agree with Hildreth. Match fixing is certainly not going to be easy to prove, but that’s a secondary consideration. The important thing is that it’s addressed clearly in the rules. It doesn’t have to be much: a prohibition on players betting against their own team and a rule against throwing a match for profit should cover all eventualities.

CHERRY

Bump.
Can you or can you not bet on your own team?
Not sure what admin discretion rule says exactly and even though some people are concerned I don’t mind as long as it doesn’t encourage match throwing. Just figured I’ll ask instead of adding people who bet on their teams saying that ETF2L doesn’t have clear rules so it may not be the best idea :o

Last edited by CHERRY,

Phnx

Quoted from CHERRY

Bump.
Can you or can you not bet on your own team?
Not sure what admin discretion rule says exactly and even though some people are concerned I don’t mind as long as it doesn’t encourage match throwing. Just figured I’ll ask instead of adding people who bet on their teams saying that ETF2L doesn’t have clear rules so it may not be the best idea :o

I think betting on your own team should be allowed, the opposite should not.

kronis

NASA
hi im dog

Quoted from Coleman

One year ban if caught. Just the same as cheating.

This.

Why would even talk about players being able to bet on their own games? If a players bets on his own game, then 1 year ban like coleman said and/or remove some amount of points from the team.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 6 Next »