Forum

ESAGamer Launch

Created 6th June 2013 @ 20:18

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 12 Next »

Didge-

In all fairness…. You do not know ESA management. You know nothing about the owner, his background, his business experience or as you’ve proven about ESA.

What CanFo said is accurate. At some point ESA will need to retain a small margin for operating profit as that’s the sanity of any company but in terms of net turnover, it’s guaranteed to be higher than any other tournament site, which will proves to be substantial when everything starts to build momentum.

It might be worth to mention that, although ESA does charge a premium, it’s a low fixed cost that is affordable to all. You pay one small fee to crowd source a prize pool and if you place in a prized position, you can use that prize money enter numerous pay to play tournaments or head to head matches without ever needing to top up your account with additional money.

The pay to play tournaments and head-to-head matches will always remain commission free.

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

I’m not trying to attack ESA I just think that the way you’ve done it means that people will play for free which will lead to small prize pools which will lead to nobody bothering to play. I’m very willing for it to prove me wrong though.

In reply to Forsak3n, people play at ESEA because it’s competitive, offers a LAN at the end, promotes teams that stick together, promotes a serious atmosphere, listens to its players, offers an AC, offers a big prize pool which increases skill level of top scene and because it’s the league that you have to play in if you want to improve. There’s more to it than just saying “everyone put some money in a hat and we’ll dish it out to the winners”.

The figures were based on how many teams would have to sign up for you to get 1000 subscribers in the tournament.

Asskicker

GoT<3
HoT<3

It broke? https://esagamer.com/teams/GoT.Love

bean

isaninja

I’m going to butt in where Mike (Didge) is to modest to do so, I’ve known Didge going way back into the beta days of CS and so on.

Didge very successfully founded and built upon the UK based packing company Verpakken, once profitable he sold the company hence the capital for ESA. You can check this all up on any of those “snoop on a Director” websites.

I think it’s pretty much as CanFo surmised, don’t trust him? Well then don’t and don’t sub. You can register for free and play in any F2P tournaments that you see fit. Or don’t do either.

As already mentioned, plenty of people pay for ESEA so why wouldn’t we here? Or are to continually contend with the trend of complete negativity that surrounds TF2?

bean
– TF2 Dude & ESA QuakeLive Admin

Last edited by bean,

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

Quoted from Sideshow

I’m not trying to attack ESA I just think that the way you’ve done it means that people will play for free which will lead to small prize pools which will lead to nobody bothering to play. I’m very willing for it to prove me wrong though.

In reply to Forsak3n, people play at ESEA because it’s competitive, offers a LAN at the end, promotes teams that stick together, promotes a serious atmosphere, listens to its players, offers an AC, offers a big prize pool which increases skill level of top scene and because it’s the league that you have to play in if you want to improve. There’s more to it than just saying “everyone put some money in a hat and we’ll dish it out to the winners”.

The figures were based on how many teams would have to sign up for you to get 1000 subscribers in the tournament.

Fair enough, I did not take it as an attack anyway. If everyone is playing for free, so be it. However, I do not believe that is going to happen. The prize pot won’t be 0 and there will always be someone who will try to snatch that. I have a lot of trust into the ESA model and sponsored tournaments are not off the table either. Time will tell, I suppose :)

I think what Forsak3n was referring to was that the model is similar to a limited extent and a certain incident involving a bitcoin miner in their client (as you mentioned “trust” too). What you are mentioning about ESEA is definitely what ESA is striving for as well, we’ll see how it goes.

Thanks for the clarification on the team numbers, I only made a rough estimate so far.

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

Quoted from Asskicker

It broke? https://esagamer.com/teams/GoT.Love

Ha! Nice find! The site still seems to have issues with special characters in team- and player names.

edit: fixed

Last edited by CanFo,

Asskicker

GoT<3
HoT<3

How is this going to influence ETF2L, if at all? I think this is a great initiative btw, well done to everyone involved. :)

Quoted from CanFo

[…]
Ha! Nice find! The site still seems to have issues with special characters in team- and player names.

edit: fixed

Sweet, that was fast!

Erm, I updated the “settings” of the team and the name disappeared and now I can’t edit it any more and the team is “gone”. :P

Last edited by Asskicker,

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

Interesting. Who are the people behind it? Are you just a mouthpiece, CanFo?

“Members must be at least 18 years of age to play in tournaments with prizes.”

This appears rather restrictive.

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

Quoted from fraac

Interesting. Who are the people behind it? Are you just a mouthpiece, CanFo?

This appears rather restrictive.

I am leading the TF2 section, Sonny Black is helping with the organisation of the tournaments.

The age is required by law. You can not play for money unless you are 18 or older in some countries.

ilike2spin

RLM

Are there any plans for a dedicated and even paid admin team?

I don’t want to see the same issues of an admin team who tries to please every casual pub team in a league where potentially substantial prize money is available. Meaning no offense to the ETF2L admin team but if there’s a prize league I want it to cater primarily to teams that want to be competitive and not penalise them with rules designed to keep less keen teams happy.

emb

(Legend)
ciortai

Quoted from fraac

It’s also a restriction imposed by most (all?) payment processors. You cannot legally have a Paypal account if you’re less than 18 years old, for example – as such, it would be unwise for a league to allow underage players to compete for prizes they would not be eligible to win.

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

Quoted from ilike2spin

Are there any plans for a dedicated and even paid admin team?

I don’t want to see the same issues of an admin team who tries to please every casual pub team in a league where potentially substantial prize money is available. Meaning no offense to the ETF2L admin team but if there’s a prize league I want it to cater primarily to teams that want to be competitive and not penalise them with rules designed to keep less keen teams happy.

ESA will have strict rules regarding schedules and anything else. Also, the admins are remunerated.

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

Can under 18s not play at all in prized tournaments or do they just not get their cut of the prize? The FAQ seems to suggest both.

Didge-

Gamers are legally allowed to compete in free tournaments with prizes from the age of 16 with the permission of their parents. However, if the tournaments have an entrance fee, then they are forbidden to pay or play in those sort of tournaments.

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

Could you not have it so under 18s can’t pay or win prizes, but they can still play? Like you have for non-premium accounts.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 12 Next »