Forum

Switch got hacked too

Created 25th April 2013 @ 19:58

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »

Switch

soL.
T⑨

Was looking over offers on tf2 outpost, and I clicked a phishing link and entered my steam account name and password (I thought I was logging into steam community to add somebody on steam). Then email address and password on my steam acc was changed and I did what is recommended on the steam support website (contact steam support and provide proof of purchase etc.). Just wanted to make this forum post to ask if anyone has any advice and also to let people know that I’m offline and/or items are disappearing from my inventory for a reason.

tl;dr: switch got hacked lawl

Also guys, I created an alt account for trials etc. so if you were planning on trialing or want to talk then add:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198089636609/

Last edited by Switch,

marez

vc
9 ☆

Yes I got hacked like 2 months ago on STEAM FREE GAMES link but I could easily unhack it. Seriously hacker these days are no challenge ;) …I just looked up what is my e-mail address and it was some random russian mail with no password required. So I made it so it would send the password to my e-mail, changed it and that was it :)

ash

(Legend)
:D

steam guard…?

emb

(Legend)
ciortai

Why do people have the same password on their email and Steam accounts? This effectively nullifies Steam Guard’s protection against phishing.

With Steam Guard, your Steam password is mostly irrelevant. You can use a trivial password, or even post it publicly (Gabe Newell published his Steam password when Steam Guard was released).

Your email becomes the weak point, which is why you should use a separate, guess-resistant email password, preferably with two-factor authentication (such as phone SMS).

Last edited by emb,

Switch

soL.
T⑨

Quoted from emb

Why do people have the same password on their email and Steam accounts? This effectively nullifies Steam Guard’s protection against phishing.

With Steam Guard, your Steam password is mostly irrelevant. You can use a trivial password, or even post it publicly (Gabe Newell published his Steam password when Steam Guard was released).

Your email becomes the weak point, which is why you should use a separate, guess-resistant email password, preferably with two-factor authentication (such as phone SMS).

I use a different password for my email address…

Henghast

open
bobs

Quoted from emb

I dont see whats wrong with using my user name as the password for all my accounts email addresses and bank details. It just makes it super easy to remember!

cmd

(ETF2L Donator)
LEGO

Quoted from Henghast

[…]

I dont see whats wrong with using my user name as the password for all my accounts email addresses and bank details. It just makes it super easy to remember!

yeah u use different pasword for each thing and then u just forget them and then they’re useless, I mean come on whats the point of it if you cant even use t hem

ash

(Legend)
:D

Perhaps start using passwords you can fucking remember? Tie them to a story, make them logical to you. TO YOU ONLY.

Also nothing stops you from writing passwords down physically, or at least hints about them, and having a piece of paper stored away somewhere with an assortment of seemingly random words on it.

AnimaL

http://keepass.info/

maidos

best pw to remember is ur name but in backwards order.

Warmaster

-[MG]-
HL

Quoted from maidos

best pw to remember is ur name but in backwards order.

– Bob

Last edited by Warmaster,

Niicol

dc.
-ugo?-

msg steam support and include your credit card billing info (name/surname, address, phone, last 4 digits etc), they’ll give you your account back in 1-2 days. iunno bout the items, i got them back in 9 days

slate

(ETF2L Donator)
AMG

http://xkcd.com/936/

Switch

soL.
T⑨

Quoted from ash

Perhaps start using passwords you can fucking remember? Tie them to a story, make them logical to you. TO YOU ONLY.

Also nothing stops you from writing passwords down physically, or at least hints about them, and having a piece of paper stored away somewhere with an assortment of seemingly random words on it.

Is that directed at…me?

toota

swole.

I dreamed that I was hacked on steam by just trading with a guy

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »