Forum

[Top teams] What about spectating real time instead of stv?

Created 22nd January 2012 @ 13:19

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 4 Next »

ThePledge

This post mainly goes out to the top teams, considering they will get casted significantly more than any other team out there. So anyone in Prem or Division 1 can contribute or just leave the opinion here, but outside of the general forum troll, I’m not really interested in any opinion lower.

So, just to summarise the past time: VanillaTV, but also TF2TV back in the day have always used stv and relays to spectate the high level games for the public. The casting places offered both stv+mumble and a stream, which both got used, even though the stv+mumble option has always been a lot lower in terms of users. What I’d like to propose is that we get rid of the stv+mumble option completely, and the VanillaTV casters+streamer will all be in the gameserver itself. By doing this, two things can happen that so far are impossible:

1. The casters can use Skype instead of Mumble, which should improve audio quality, add possible webcams and have less delay. Therefore, the general stream quality and production quality could improve.
2. The spectating will get easier, considering the streamer can use 12 buttons to switch between players. Afaik, only Shrike has written some configs to be able to do this on STV, but the other streamers dont have this ability (yet). Therefore, the spectating would improve (quickly switching to spy/sniper or medic with kritz are examples of this).

Now, you can’t implement this easily, as the players, teams and managers will have opinions on this. So, here it is. I would love to be able to cast on the server with a delay on the stream, which can be put on 90 seconds so that people can use the stream+stv relay to still watch themselves. I have no detailed information on the possibilities of this (I should ask Comedian, nvc or Shrike I guess), but if this would be possible – would you mind to implement this method of casting?

If there are any concerns, please let them be known. Or if you have anything to say regarding the topic that is relevent and I forgot – speak your mind! <3

Thanks in advance!

– Pledge

Mark

Phase

No top player or manager will give a shit if there are casters on the server.

Serious Cat

PaC

I have preferred and will always prefer to have STV+Mumble so I can spectate where/what I want…

Not div1 or prem but I feel that I can chime in.

In my opinion the way it is now is much better. I know a lot of people prefer to do the STV + Mumble option and we shouldn’t get rid of this purely so that the casters can use skype. Mumble is absolutely fine in terms of audio quality and latency (you just need to turn the gain of your mic down! or buy a new mic!)

The only other benefit of skype is webcams, which again imo we shouldn’t have. We already have quite a bit of the screen taken up by the new score overlay (which is excellent btw, massive shoutout to skyride for making it), having 2 webcams on the stream as well would just be using too much of the screen.

herpderp

DAKKA

Quoted from Serious Cat

I have preferred and will always prefer to have STV+Mumble so I can spectate where/what I want…

+1

randa

As long as you don’t limit people’s options I.e removing stv and mumble, it would be a good idea.

Last edited by randa,

CommanderX

(ETF2L Donator)
TEZC

if i understand this right. With this proposed method to listen to the cast and watch stv, i would have to have the stream running in the background? As the mumble would be out of sync

Enef

fest
#wubafan

You could use the relay bots to add a 90 second delay on mumble still, so you could still use mumble+stv

Ordinator

tuhi

Quoted from randa

As long as you don’t limit people’s options I.e removing stv and mumble, it would be a good idea.

toogyboogy

(ETF2L Donator)
SOFT
bobs

there is one big flaw of this which is that people would have to start renting more slots on their servers. Not a lot of people have the three extra slots needed for the casters/streamer.

also kinda does sound retarded to have three extra slots on your server for the chance that you MAYBE will be casted. Will cost you extra aswell.

And lets not get rid of the fact that even though the majority is using the stream, theres still people that use STV. Lets not get rid of that as long as people are using it.

crouton

LEGO

The game looks better with in-eye so I’d say it should be done if it’s possible somehow.

kaidus

WiK?

A lot of people (in the UK for instance, where internet connections are still pretty bleh) can’t watch stream + stv at the same time without hella lag so unless mumble is still offered I’m fairly sure there’ll be some complaints.

Norrland3000

STV + mumble is the only way i want to spectate, hate when someone else is controlling who i spec. Dont get rid of that. The quality of mumble is good, if you think its bad its because of the mic or settings.

+1 to not removing any alternatives, adding is good, removing is bad :)

Last edited by Norrland3000,

Keyro

Cheater

In terms of numbers and promotion of TF2 Vanilla TV is far better than STV + mumble so you should go in that way. Audio quality will benefit a bit and why not webcams, but i guess the fact of switching more easily between players will benefit the casting quality as a whole, allowing more interaction between streamers and casters, more reactivity. Could improve the understanding and readability of casts, wich is one of the big problems in the TF2 streams.

And for STV + stream let’s be honnest, that will not work because the delay is not the same on all computers/internet connections and there’s desynchronization, you could use a 90 s delay bot on mumble i guess but that’s a lot of work.

MIndYe

[hePPa]

For sponsors and stuff, watching casts is the way to go. That way the adverts on pauses, between maps etc get more views and are more likely to sponsor again. In terms of keeping the game alive (lawl) watching streams > watching STV.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 4 Next »