Forum

More divisions?

Created 12th November 2014 @ 10:31

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 4 Next »

taube

BWB

A lot of newcomers that come into etf2l who have barely any competitive skill, sign up into the lowest division and get crushed by more experienced and skilled players, which ussualy leads to disbanding teams and players giving up on competitive.

More divisions would guarante less skill diffrences in lower divisions and more enjoyment for the players.

I’m sure that a lot of people will disagree with this idea since it would cause a lot of confusion at first, but after a while people would get used to it.

Any thoughts?

Bona

PMW

I’m pretty sure there are already a lot of people playing in div7 atm

ducky

getting “crushed” is part of the experience.

when I first started playing this game competitively our team got rolled the first 10-12 scrims in a row,which isn’t anything unusual.

after all people are new. they don’t know their role,the maps,how to hold,how to push,what uber advantage is and how to benefit from it. arguably their dm isn’t the best either.

the effect of losing should be the exact opposite: it should motivate people to be keen,learn more and try harder.
as a new team difficult matches is what you should seek to play.nobody is going to get better playing easy matches all day long.

what you’re essentially saying is that div 6 is too hard. I don’t agree with this.

it’s the next step from initially somewhat learning how the game works competitively in lobbies and then taking that information and trying to make it work as a team

creating a 7th div won’t solve the problem,it will just “move” it.
the experienced teams who are unable to move up from their initial division (for whatever reason) will still be there playing against the completly new teams.

maybe the first season using this new system will work out,as theorethically only completly new players will sign up for div 7. but the seasons after that?

after all you can’t add a new div every season

ash

(Legend)
:D

Div6 is so uneven skillwise because
1. New players and teams come with different skill levels.
2. Its incredibly hard to rate teams without prior comp experience, like teams newly entering div6 with new players.

As ducky said, take it as a valuable experience and then move on.

People also forget: in every division there be teams placing bottom.

doks

If anything there should be less divisions.

Kilgors

plēve

Just make something similar to highlander open, but for 6v6

The most common reason I’ve heard from people not wanting to play comp is that they think they’ll get stomped.

It’s a weird mindset that those players have, but it has come up so often that I almost want to suggest to change div 6 to a HLO-style div, where only new teams and players can join. Just to have a small spawning pool before they’re sent out onto the deep end.

Admirable

(Toucan Ambassador)

Please abolish the million divisions system and use something akin to ESEA where they have a very large open division with fixtures that balance themselves to your ability over time.

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

At the moment a new d6 team gets 7 fixtures, but 2 teams drop so only 5 games, and only 1 of them is close.

I agree with Admirable. A big Open division, you play the teams around you. Isn’t that the plan for season 20?

Permzilla

(Legend)
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞
WiK?

Quoted from Admirable

Please abolish the million divisions system and use something akin to ESEA where they have a very large open division with fixtures that balance themselves to your ability over time.

That would require a complete overhaul of the site, which we cannot afford to pay someone to do. I have asked our coders fairly recently (which they quite reasonably declined) because I know that the ESEA system is better, but without someone putting tonnes of hard work into the backend it won’t be possible.

The playoff system this season is probably the closest thing towards an ESEA-style we can get, for now.

Gentleman Jon

Quoted from Admirable

It’s called the Swiss system, Challonge supports it. You can run very big tournaments in a reasonable number of rounds where everyone is guaranteed a good number of games.

smziii

(Legendary Ratehacks)
SVIFT

Admirable is a sick coder he will fix the site for free drinks and coke at lan

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

If you did try out kkalltuu’s idea, do you know how many teams you would get that are new to competitive?

Alfie

(ETF2L Donator)
bobs

Quoted from Permzilla

[…]

That would require a complete overhaul of the site, which we cannot afford to pay someone to do. I have asked our coders fairly recently (which they quite reasonably declined) because I know that the ESEA system is better, but without someone putting tonnes of hard work into the backend it won’t be possible.

The playoff system this season is probably the closest thing towards an ESEA-style we can get, for now.

if etf2l were to start a fundraiser to hire a coder to do the work for us, I would definitely put some money in, and I’m sure others would too

Last edited by Alfie,

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

if etf2l were to start a fundraiser to hire a coder to do the work for us, I would definitely put some money in, and I’m sure others would too

This was the suggestion on Fully Charged in the big debate before the season started, that the mooted pay-to-play for season 20 would firstly fund a league redesign.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 4 Next »