Forum

[Highlander Season 5] Feedback Required!

Created 22nd July 2013 @ 00:04

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 ... 9 Next »

quell

UbeR |

Quoted from CanFo

Please focus on the 2 issues from the OP. Feel free to create seperate threads for seperate issues.

lol no, we’re keeping this centralized to 1 thread. why put our feedback n different ones?

[HIGHLANDER SEASON 5] FEEDBACK REQUIRED!

Permzilla

(Legend)
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞
WiK?

Quoted from quell

[…]
lol no, we’re keeping this centralized to 1 thread. why put our feedback n different ones?

[HIGHLANDER SEASON 5] FEEDBACK REQUIRED!

Did you even read the OP? You’re welcome to create a new thread any time regarding ideas relating to ETF2L, this thread is specifically to discuss what I mentioned.

EmilioEstevez

GG

8 teams per division is really needed imo. The overlap is manageable but it should just be a single map bo3 each week (other than playoffs) or you may end up with people who want to play both formats having to practice 4 maps one week.

Munky

AEUGH

1) Probably needed. Too many teams drop at the bottom causing some people to have 2 game seasons. Things at the top are a little stale too (?).

2) Don’t like the idea of it honestly. Those who play at the top are going to be forced to pick a format. The overlap with with UGC would only get worse as well.

If you do end up going with 8 team leagues I think you should really think about switching over to one map per week. Two maps is fine for 6v6 but it is an awful lot of work for highlander. Also I think the two maps a week caused a huge imbalance for the points awarded for different formats (60% PL, 20% CP, 10% KOTH, 10% 5CP) compared to say the UGC summer season (38% PL, 13% CP, 25% KOTH, 25% 5CP).

Last edited by Munky,

Quoted from Permzilla

1) Divisions will now have 8 teams in, instead of 6. This will mean that the regular season runs an additional 2 weeks, and also means that the Prem playoffs will involve 4 teams – the as 6v6 Season 15. It also means that if you’re in a division and 2 teams drop, you’re not left with only 3 games left to play.

Alright. Hope we get some interesting maps going.

2) Highlander Season 5 will run alongside 6v6 Season 16. This allows for more Highlander Seasons per calendar year.

Both of these ideas are not decided and we are asking everyone to give their feedback towards these ideas – every reply will be read!

Not so alright.
I would say there are 2 big problems with EU HL when you compare it to NA HL:

a) HL as a competitive game mode speaks more towards the big pub scene and it’s a chance for comp TF2 to expand. Instead of seeing it as a different format that hooks people with different aspects of TF2, HL in EU is generally looked down upon. Some 6v6 players really act like HL is trying to take their toys away (or HL must be a shitty gamemode for noobs because they didn’t instantly know what’s going on even though they play 6s). Having the HL season run alongside 6s does not help this, I would even say it makes it seem more like HL and 6s are competing.

b) EU HL at prem level lacks… motivation, with little scrimming and lots of “playing the metagame” as far as I understand it. This problem will only get worse if over half the players in these teams are now busy with an ongoing 6s season.

Last edited by Schmuse,

Quoted from Schmuse

[…]
Alright. Hope we get some interesting maps going.
[…]
Not so alright.
I would say there are 2 big problems with EU HL when you compare it to NA HL:

a) HL as a competitive game mode speaks more towards the big pub scene and it’s a chance for comp TF2 to expand. Instead of seeing it as a different format that hooks people with different aspects of TF2, HL in EU is generally looked down upon. Some 6v6 players really act like HL is trying to take their toys away (or HL must be a shitty gamemode for noobs because they didn’t instantly know what’s going on even though they play 6s). Having the HL season run alongside 6s does not help this, I would even say it makes it seem more like HL and 6s are competing.

b) EU HL at prem level lacks… motivation, with little scrimming and lots of “playing the metagame” as far as I understand it. This problem will only get worse if over half the players in these teams are now busy with an ongoing 6s season.

I totally agree with your points, putting 6v6 and HL at the same time makes it so you have to choose between them I feel.

Last edited by fishyard,

pala4

1) Divisions will now have 8 teams in, instead of 6. This will mean that the regular season runs an additional 2 weeks, and also means that the Prem playoffs will involve 4 teams – the as 6v6 Season 15. It also means that if you’re in a division and 2 teams drop, you’re not left with only 3 games left to play.

good

2) Highlander Season 5 will run alongside 6v6 Season 16. This allows for more Highlander Seasons per calendar year.

love highlander, but not the best idea, its hard to gather ppl for games and find pcws

Last edited by pala4,

Rob!

TROLLIED
[T-A!]

I think 8 teams per div would fix the problem of having nobody to play if people dropped out.

I think that having 6s and HL run at the same time is a bad idea. Too many people do both and dont have the time to do both at the same time. Not everyone is still in uni :(

Also as someone said before, if both are running, lots of people will be trying to learn tactics for 4 maps a week. And that is a lot of scrimming. Meaning people will get burned out, and end up dropping out of one format.

yonus

[hePPa]

I’m all for the 8 teams per division because that means every team gets to play more games. I’m not sure about running the hl season alongside 6v6. It doesn’t matter to me directly as I only play highlander but it does seem likely to add more difficulties to scheduling.

Personally I’d like really to have more highlander during the year as the breaks between seasons felt too long really, but I don’t want it to cause teams dropping out of highlander due to not being able to play as often as they need.

Bennyboy

TC.Express

8 teams per div is a good idea.

I’m not keen on having the highlander and 6v6 season run alongside each other for much the same reasons as others have said. Players will inevitably prioritize and I think its likely that many high level players will prioritize 6v6 over highlander. Scheduling officials and practices (already a pain in the arse when dealing with 9 people) would become more difficult.

Candle

I pretty much agree with everyone here, in the sense that I support 8 teams per div and disagree with the highlander-while-6s thingy. I’m exclusively a HL player, but I still very well know the pain of organizing things while half your players have 6s scrims/officials which they really have to attend.

Toba

(a boT from the North)
Lutunen

Quoted from Candle

I pretty much agree with everyone here, in the sense that I support 8 teams per div and disagree with the highlander-while-6s thingy. I’m exclusively a HL player, but I still very well know the pain of organizing things while half your players have 6s scrims/officials which they really have to attend.

onv

would be nice to pick carefully the d1 and d2 teams. I would rather see teams with experience rather than new teams who look promising , div placement should be based on accomplishements , not potential.

kKaltUu

UbeR |
-chess-

Quoted from onv

would be nice to pick carefully the d1 and d2 teams. I would rather see teams with experience rather than new teams who look promising , div placement should be based on accomplishements , not potential.

I don’t see any reason why this would be relevant for this thread, or even an issue in general?

onv

it’s okay , kKaltUu . I don’t think anymore here expected you to understand . Let me give you an example :

in my opinion having new teams in d1 or d2 just because they have a few superstars in their roster is unfair to the teams in d3 for example, even if they have one defeat on their record , i believe these d3 teams deserve a shot at higher division more than these “superstar” teams . These “superstar” teams that also drop mid season on a very regular basis.
This happened in s3 but i’d rather avoid saying any name :’)

I was simply suggesting that d1 and d2 teams should be picked more carefully , which would lead to more competitive competitive matches , matches that would be ultimately more enjoyable to watch and be played.

But , apparently this isn’t a suggestion thread so you’re right what i just typed is completely irrelevant , this is a feedback thread i should have read it in the first place .

1 ) don’t have anything against it.
Why not after all , this might be a good change but i think there are more important problems to fix.

2 ) I have very little to no experience as team leader , but safe to say it’s already tough to gather the same 9 players constantly over and over . With the ammount of matches increasing this might turn out to be a nightmare scheduling wise.

At the end of the day , in my opinion EU highlander is still at an early stage of developement . The only way to develop it is to bring more players in and try to do new things like the changes mentioned in the OP. If it turns out to be a disaster at least you guys would have tried , and we would have an additional blueprint on what works and what doesn’t.

TL;DR : lets do it , balls deep. Nothing to loose ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by onv,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 ... 9 Next »