[draft] (another) ladder proposal

Created 30th December 2010 @ 14:47

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Tikcus

simple

Quoted from Tikcus

Rules would need to be put in place to stop teams just refusing challenges to maintain their position e.g. they can only refuse 3 challenges from teams below their position (within x amount of places) within a 28 day period, without penalty (e.g. loss 5 positions on ladder).

Eh?

Spike Himself

TC

oops bump

David

Quoted from David

A good idea would to make it so a team can only provide screenshots (to prove their skill) from Ladder games only, ladders are semi-official so it wont be some “LOL WE BEAT DIV2 MIX OFFCLASSING WERE DIV2”. Also I feel that the admin team needs to promote the ladder, at the moment its just there and everyone ignores it. Maybe use it to test out new maps instead of monday night madness’ where only 16 or so teams can play. I also feel that arranging ladder games should be made easier, they shouldnt have harsh rules about arrangements and minor warnings should only be given when the circumstances become too far.

Just a few thoughts I really hope the admins do something to make the ladder a more viable option to going on IRC and finding people who take ages to join a server + mixes who are offclassing and messing around.

Quoted from David

Maybe offer highlander teams the chance to turn their 9v9 team into a 6v6 team and tell them about the ladder. The very point of the Highlander Challenge to to make comp tf2 grow. Offering to change it for them would take a lot of an admins time, but it is less daunting or a team to go through the process of getting everyone into one team again and signing up to the ladder.

I would happily help out in any way to get the ladder back up and running again, and you would see me first in line to apply for a ladder admin position!

Also it doesnt mean that people would stop using IRC, there are methods where teams search on irc for a ladder game and challenge eachother once they have found an opponent!

Spike Himself

TC

Shame that noone seems to care though.

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

Well if you wiped out the ladder as it, do a little bit of reform and promote it on front stage I am sure people will join up, I know LTG will. People on tf.wars always want to play teams instead of mixes, it also makes games more competive even if people don’t think they would take it seriously.

Monkeh

.:ne:.
.:ne:.

I’ll say it again. Get rid of the auto kick after 14 days and teams that sign up may even STAY signed up!

Crunchy

didnt read the wall of text but reset all scores to 1000, so many teams have low scores on it due to being inactive that they wont bother anymore due to them needing to win like 20+ matches just to get back in the top 10

reset scores and make it so we dont drop after 14 days =)

Sketch

MM

Can scores not be reset seasonally or quarterly? And 1st 2nd and 3rd places receive a cup and a casted game or 2 through the season? I think that would generate more interest than it has currently.

Spike Himself

TC

Imo it doesn’t have to be reset (I’m not against it either though), but it would be a nice idea to have a ‘winner’ announced/rewarded every xx weeks.

Black_Bob

[DA]

Or give the top 3 teams one of those shiny gold/silver/bronze cups on there team profile at the end of each month/couple of months amazing how little minor things like that can add to the incentive.

For example a team trying to get sponsorhip from an mgo who dosent know anything about tf2 may be impressed by a few shiny ladder winning cups!

FlagZero

guru
G-Yoda

Here is an idea; and it ain’t all my idea:

Combine the 6v6, 7v7 and 9v9 playing format into one ladder system, where a team could one week play 6v6 and next week play 9v9 vs the same opponent (if they so chose) and the score would be added on the same ladder board. Sure you would have teams that play only 9v9 or 6v6, but i think you would have many teams that would mix it as they like. And if you fell crazy enough you could add 3v3 or 1v1 (but no 1 man teams on the ladder).
Ofc. you could have different unlock rules for 6v6 (season rules) and 9v9 (all allowed) and many more options….
At the end you would have a true, epic, free for all modes TF2 ladder.

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

Nice idea, no one would do it.

Dr-GimpfeN

9g1c

Quoted from CrashSite

Nice idea, no one would do it.

Spike Himself

TC

Any admin feedback on this at all?

While it’s a lot of stuff to go through, it’s an investment and it should save a bunch of time when it comes to seeding divisions for the season. You can also get rid of the “email your pcw screenshots” with an active ladder.

slate

(ETF2L Donator)
AMG

Back when I played competitive Rainbow Six / Rogue Spear, the Ranking didn’t have a point system at all. It worked like this.

When you sign up you start UNRANKED, after your first victory you will take last spot on the ladder, once ranked, you can only gain ranks, by beating teams above you, you would always gain ranks in this scheme:

IF difference in Ranks > 1 THEN difference in ranks / 2 ELSE 1.

i.e.
TEAM A (rank 20) beats TEAM B (rank 10).
10 ranks difference, so TEAM A would end up on rank 15.

This makes it really easy to gain ranks once you start playing ladder, but makes it harder and harder the more you progress to the top spots.

You cannot lose ranks by yourself unless you play the team directly below you.

I think that system worked perfectly well, as just being active and playing “bad” teams wont get you anywhere. There were a few rules in place, such as that you drop a certain number of ranks when your inactive for a certain amout of days.

Challenging wasn’t an issue, everyone was hanging out in a Lobby-System all the time, opening single lobbies stating their Teamname and Rank for other teams to join. Ofc Challenging is needed in the top10+, so you don’t hog rank 1 for all eternity.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »