Forum

Highlander pickup - hl.lethal-zone.eu

Created 16th August 2013 @ 19:50

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 Next »

kKaltUu

UbeR |
-chess-

Quoted from Tuto

[…]Don’t we want more new people in the competetive hl scene? so why not give everyone a chance on this page, where they get a good start, instead of them going on tf2lobby and get the wrong impression of how it really is.

I mean, if it’s possible, if you want to seperate the new ones from the experienced ones, Q-Ball could make 2 different pickup lines. Not exactly division split, but more like a “new to competetive” section and a “experienced” section. I doubt it’s possible though, but correct me if I am wrong.

So you’re saying it should mimic the invite pickup that 6’s have?

quell

UbeR |

Quoted from Tuto

[…]
I mean, if it’s possible, if you want to seperate the new ones from the experienced ones, Q-Ball could make 2 different pickup lines. Not exactly division split, but more like a “new to competetive” section and a “experienced” section. I doubt it’s possible though, but correct me if I am wrong.

absolutely new players can go to tf2center when its up. i’d rather not the pickup games be like lobbies except youve got 3 to 6 people talking on mumble. new players are slow, cant read the lines that say update mumble, etc. there’s plenty of people already, i’d rather not play pugs with people that havent even got a single div6 season under their belt.

splitting it up would be best but as someone said its too early for that. sadly sorting by divs isnt possible unless etf2l adds “matches played” to their API player pages from what i hear.

Last edited by quell,

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from quell

[…]

there’s plenty of people already, i’d rather not play pugs with people that havent even got a single div6 season under their belt.

Not having played a single div6 season might actually be good for pugs. div4 and lower is just a lot bad plays made up for by just out dm-ing your opponent. I’d rather play with people that don’t have these bad habits yet.

onv

Just posting here to say Koeitje is a terrible person and should feel bad about himself.

EmilioEstevez

GG

At the moment this just feels a bit like lobby. We need an invite only system bc allowing anybody to sign up is leading to poor quality games.

Sry for being negative :S

unu

Quoted from EmilioEstevez

At the moment this just feels a bit like lobby. We need an invite only system bc allowing anybody to sign up is leading to poor quality games.

Sry for being negative :S

So true, I’ve noticed lots of people not using comms at all and I’ve heard plenty of people say the same.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from onv

Just posting here to say Koeitje is a terrible person and should feel bad about himself.

xoxo

kzr_

gR.

the thing I love the most about “High skilled” HL EU players is that they have they’re all special group in wich they visit every mumble in the afternoon to mess around and then try to convert any decent HL system into their own private group.

At the portuguese comunity when we want to do mixes we do invite people, if you want to do ur private mix’s, invite the people you want to play with because I will speak for my self, I have played only div6 when I was a 250-300 hours spy, now I’m a 670 hours spy and I’m clearly not a div6 spy, I’m better than that, but every decent place I go (spreadsheet/colony group) 70% of the time is “div 3+” or “div3+ chill mix” (like a div3 main medic playing engie is better than a div4 engie LOL) and now you’re trying to do the same with pickup. If it’s chill and you want new people to improve, people need to play with higher level players, not theirs or lower level players like tf2lobby, tf2lobby isn’t even worth it for div6 practice.

I’m so glad about the spreadsheet/colony group and pickup because atm it’s the only place I can play decent HL due to the fact that I don’t have a team atm and its vital to play in order to improve and stay in shape.

Also big news, there are only 2 seasons of HL year, wich means that for at least 6 months people won’t go higher by ur standards.

So the thing I mean by saying this is that I have the feeling that most of you are trying to restrict the mechanics for yourselfs rather than accepting new people into it; it’s alright to want to play very decent games with people other than your teammates, but please don’t do it to every system available because it’s important to other people.

Flame me if you want, I won’t take it personally

irfx

EPA

Quoted from kzr_

Flame me if you want, I won’t take it personally

Nothing here to be flamed for, great post. If people want a “high 1337 top skill hl” it is better for them to just find a pcw. Mixes without fresh blood are potentially dead. It just takes time to get this fresh blood flowing. “Here and now” tactics wont work.

EmilioEstevez

GG

Quoted from kzr_

If it’s chill and you want new people to improve, people need to play with higher level players, not theirs or lower level players like tf2lobby, tf2lobby isn’t even worth it for div6 practice.

But other are trying to improve too, and playing with very low div people all the time doesn’t help with that.

Quoted from kzr_

I’m so glad about the spreadsheet/colony group and pickup because atm it’s the only place I can play decent HL due to the fact that I don’t have a team atm and its vital to play in order to improve and stay in shape.

I liked the spreadsheet, more and more people were getting access to it and participation was pretty wide in terms of skill level. Every day there would be several “any div” mixes to go with the “3+” mixes you’re talking about and plenty of the higher div people would play them too. Even in the “high div” mixes people were pretty lenient with skill levels unless you had proven you were clearly out of your depth.

Since this released a week or so ago there hasn’t been a single spreadsheet mix (high or low div) and after playing a handful of the pickups, the skill level is kinda low. If it continues like this we’ve actually lost something from the community rather than added to it.

Scissors

(ETF2L Donator)

Quoted from EmilioEstevez

[…]

Since this released a week or so ago there hasn’t been a single spreadsheet mix (high or low div) and after playing a handful of the pickups, the skill level is kinda low. If it continues like this we’ve actually lost something from the community rather than added to it.

This. I loved that spreadsheet thing to bits. Maybe I am just afraid of change, but why fix something that isn’t broken?

aura

if there is no separation between low and high skilled it’s going to die the same way pug.eu.hl did or what was the name of it. No one wants to wait 30 minutes just to get div6 in your team and get rolled in 5 mins on defense. When I started playing there were no pickup or lobbies. Games were arranged through steam groups, irc and via steam chat so newbs have to get over it and find a new place to play or make a separate pickup for div4-div7

…I have played only div6 when I was a 250-300 hours spy, now I’m a 670 hours spy and I’m clearly not a div6 spy, I’m better than that, but every decent place I go (spreadsheet/colony group) 70% of the time is “div 3+” or “div3+ chill mix” (like a div3 main medic playing engie is better than a div4 engie LOL) …

maybe it’s because you’re not expected to play your main class 100% of the time? you might be above div6 level spy but what about soldier or demo?

Last edited by aura,

kKaltUu

UbeR |
-chess-

Quoted from Scissors

[…]

This. I loved that spreadsheet thing to bits. Maybe I am just afraid of change, but why fix something that isn’t broken?

The thing is, the spreadsheet IS broken, esp. for people trying to maintain it or use it for organizing mixes. There is no safeguard for players that want to mess shit up. Making it invite-only was the only way to control who got editing access to the spreadsheet. The fact that people who signed up didn’t come, (or even lacked signing up) meant that mixes would start way too late or be canquelled.

Pickup was there long before the spreadsheet, and it worked. The problem was that HL was slowly losing numbers and that’s why the IRC pickup was closed down. After Season 3 ended, there has been a slight increase of HL players, and similar numbers throughout season 4.

Quoted from kzr_

You’re addressing the core problem, and that is that there are players that want to keen and tryhard, whilst others are trying to get the gist of the game and try to improve themselves by playing at a higher level than their current team is at.

I do think there needs to be a separation between those groups to accommodate those wishes, but we have to be wary not to shun any player that wants to play and improve.

Last edited by kKaltUu,

Quoted from Scissors

Attempting to improve it. The danger comes when people adopt one thing over another largely because its new or novel, rather than because it adds something. In my opinion pickup, as it currently is, does not match spreadsheet for features – specifically the ability to have multiple on at one time and to plan ahead. Currently its just a first come first served.

What it does, it does well, but it is not a direct spreadsheet replacement (in its current form). It’s just a pity that’s what people have taken it to be.

Q-Ball

ƒusg

Quoted from foxy_dave

What it does, it does well, but it is not a direct spreadsheet replacement (in its current form). It’s just a pity that’s what people have taken it to be.

Indeed, it was never my intention to replace spreadsheet. As I stated in my original post, I tried to create web-based solution for old IRC pickup bot.

Oh I also added new ready-up system now. I haven’t tested it yet, so please tell me if there’re any bugs.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 Next »