Forum

In need of a new pad + mouse

Created 30th January 2010 @ 19:53

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »

KOVACS

Just don’t buy an MX518 with Steelseries SX – that mouse just doesnt work on SX for some reason, but I can report that DA, G5, Lachesis and Xai all work with perfect tracking on that pad, excluding the Xai’s own problems.

This seems to happen often. Many mouse + mat combo’s work badly together, even with cloth pads.

Norrland3000

MX518 + QPAD FAT FAT FAT FA TTTT FATT!”

caned

MEAT
LEGO

deathadder + steelseries qck heavy = win

Rake

Lutunen
[hePPa]

I can confirm the G9 working on Qck+, but it has slight problems. The malfunction speed is only 1.5m/s so I as a low-sens player keep hitting that when doing stuff like rocketjumps. Obviously with mid to high sens there’s no problem regarding that. I haven’t tried the weights on it cause I don’t like having to “drag” my mouse. Haven’t tested a lot of good mice apart from this one, but atleast the fatal1ty 2020 is ages behind the g9.

Zappah

nou

I’m not planning on getting the mx518 since I had the G5 for like 3 years and they feel alike.

I’m thinking about the G9 and the Xai or Ikari, can you please tell me what are the defects that these mice have? :)

and thanks for the help so far!

Iller

tGa

Ok some “defects” of the Ikari goes here :-) :

* They are not small, but rather big so I can’t recommend them if you are looking for a smaller mouse
* The sensor of the Ikari optical doesn’t stop reading even if you lift it quite high, which can be annoying if you are not used to it.

* If you are sweating a lot the Ikari optical has a surface that becomes wet and uncomfortable.

* The surface of the Ikari laser is much nicer. If gives a better grip and doesn’t become wet if you are sweating. On the other hand it wears out after some time on some of the heavily used areas.

* The sensor of the Ikari laser is the opposite of that of the optical one in terms of lifting distance. If you just lift it very very little above the mouse pad, it stops registering your movements. This is not only good since you sometimes unintentionally might lift it a fraction of a millimetre.

Also, putting on glides is enough for the mouse to start getting problems with some mousepads, since the sensor beam can’t reach the pad good enough anymore.
For example the combination Ikari laser+ glides+ Qpad Heaton is not working.
It worked well on the pad Qpad CT on the other hand.

* I have heard many people getting defect Ikari mice and many people have had mice that have stopped working after some time (I am one of them. The sensor on my Ikari optical stopped working after 1.5 years. Got the money back from the 2 year warranty though).

* I know that some very low sens players have complained about negative acceleration on the Ikari laser. I have never experienced such issues though, but on the other hand I am a medium sens player.

Ok, these are some defects of the Ikari mice I have encountered. However, I still think they are very good mice. The ergonomy is perfect and the tracking of the sensors of high quality.

Someone else have to write about the negative sides of Xai and G9 since I have not used them (just in a computer store). Personally I think the shape of the G9 is terrible, but some people love it.
The shape of the Xai feels a bit like the how the mice felt a very long time ago, but I guess that simple shape attracts many people too.
Both of these mice should have a good shape if you like smaller mice.

I notice you are a bit like me when I look out for a new mouse or some other stuff for my computer, you want to hear everything that is bad rather than a lot of talk of how good everything is. :-)

Last edited by Iller,

Morty

RG

u want a small mouse and a perfect tracking ? Try razer diamondback 3G with any qck mat. u wont regret it. I just had a little problem with it, but I think i was just unlucky, cuz I have a friend that has a diamondback since 2008 and its in his perfect shape till today, and mine after 1 month the left key gets stucked sometimes. But well, I think I was just ul :(

Mirelin

alus

Actually, Razer Deathadder is a very good mouse. Fantastic 3g optical infrared sensor does his work perfectly. This mouse is the best choose for low sensitivity users (Mouse speed 4m in a sec) I bought this mouse 7 month’s ago, and it still working good.

50% of my friends using this mouse, even Fisshu, Arie from FB, and both of them is good skill level scouts. Forgot to mention that Darn from dignitas using this mouse too.

This mouse is the best choose for medium and low sensitivity users. 15cm/360 , 20cm/360 and higher.

Few things because of i don’t like this mouse:

Because of this mouse form, it is a little bit uncomfortable to play on high sensitivity. 5cm/360 – 10cm/360. Now i’m playing on 21cm/360. But this mouse isn’t maked for high sensitivity users. I like to play on 5-10cm/360, but it’s just uncomfortable. Don’t know, how Darn is playing on this mouse with such high sensitivity.

Because of it plastic sides, fingers sometimes would slide down, or it’s getting hard/uncomfortable to hold mouse. Because of it, i’m in reque to hold near me piece of cloth, and everytime clean mouse sides to make it possible for holding.

I don’t know wtf Razer is doing, why can’t they make a new version of this mouse with rubber sides for much better mouse control instead of making new same shit models with 3500 DPI.

Razer Mamba. Hmm, nice mouse name. But in the fact, Razer mamba is shit like Razer Lachesis with alot of DPI for morons, who are noobs in mouses. Actually, 1800 – 2000 DPI is pretty enought. Razer mamba and Lachesis is shit, because it is an laser mouses. Lazer stops reading after 1m/sec , and it contains alot of negative acceleration.

When i seen Mamba, i was very impressed, because it has same form as Razer Deathadder, and also it is with rubber sides for fingers. But it doesn’t changes the fact, that Mamba is laser mouse. So, i really don’t suggest you to buy laser mouses.

I suggest you to buy Logitech G500. It is the unique laser mouse, which isn’t shit like Mamba or Lachesis. I never held G500, but it should be a little bit better than G5 and also it laser is 3.5G, which doesn’t stop reading after 3.9M in a second. This mouse has alot of DPI, but i suggest you to dont use higher DPI than 2500.

Don’t know, but perhaps, soon i will buy this mouse. My Deathadder sometimes feels uncomfortable.

What could i suggest you about mousepad. Use cloth, cloth and again cloth. There is nothing better than cloth. Atm i’m using Razer Goliathus Speed edition. I’m changing my mousemat every year. And there really is no reque in changing it every 4 months. If your mouse slippery on cloth mat became worse, then it’s not your mousemat bad, even if it is dirty. Cloth mousemat it’s cloth mousemat. It didnt become bad because of dirt (Maybe a little bit). It’s probably your mouse glides. There is alittle crack near my mouse glides. And when i’m gaming it Clings a lot of dirt because of which my mouse slippery becomes bad.

I dont suggest you Logitech G9. It is with a little rubber glides, and playing on cloth mousemats is impossible.

Zappah

nou

Iller, many thanks for your post! :)
I’m probably going to get the Steelseries SX pad, heard good things about it and it looks pretty solid.

Morty, I’ve heard that the diamond back has some rubber on its sides which can cause pain after intensive playing, is it right?

Zappah

nou

Mirelin, I appreciate you effort on this post but basically I possess the deathadder and its pretty good, but still I am in the search for a small mouse, with atleast one button on the left.

And as I said, I’m probably gonna get the Steelseries SX.

There aren’t alot of small mice in the market huh? seems like everywhere I look for those they either break after a while or just have many defects…

Comedian

as a diamondback user for several years now, i have never experienced any issues with the rubber on the side
edit: also, <3 diamondback, the 3g version has the same optical sensor as the deathadder if i recall corecctly

Last edited by Comedian,

Zappah

nou

I wish they had a Salmosa with a 4th button =[

Iller

tGa

No, small gaming mouses seems to be rare.
I would guess the Xai is a quite good option here. It has recieved very good reviews and has a modern sensor. However, it is about the same size as your Deathadder.

Beware of it’s smaller optical variant Steelseries Kinzu. It has serious problems with positive and negative acceleration according to some tests I have seen.
The Diamondback also have the same problems and problems with skipping on some surfaces.

So finding a really small good gaming mouse seems hard..
I don’t know of any.
On the other hand there are plenty of good larger mice today.

GibbZ

WOOOOO!

Quoted from Mirelin

50% of my friends using this mouse, even Fisshu, Arie from FB, and both of them is good skill level scouts. Forgot to mention that Darn from dignitas using this mouse too.

KOVACS

Iller is spot on about ikari mouse. Actually I remember outlining most of these same issues in his own mouse thread then he bought it anyway:D

Mirelin is also spot on for the most part although personally I disagree with his last comments.

Logitech G500 is basically a slight adaption of G5 so it’s a big mouse you wouldn’t be interested in.

I used DA for several years also, and incidentally a few months with the Goliathus Speed pad at 15-20cm/360. From personal preference alone this was the worst mousepad I’ve tried.

Glide is right in the middle ground between high friction and low friction which made it feel awkward to adjust to. I bought the mid-size pad and it moves and warps slightly on some mouse movements due to weakness of the rubber base. If you buy the full size pad this wouldn’t be a problem. Liftoff distance with DA on this pad is also about 5mm which is quite high imo.

Cloth pads can be cleaned and restored easily by washing them so there is no issue here if you are concerned about dirt/grime build up.

I still suggest you try out Abyssus or Salmosa and get past the issue of having no side buttons:) If you really need side buttons, MS1.1a and Xai both offer this. The Xai is basically a carbon copy of MS1.1a in terms of shape and size, both are mid-sized mice with basic shape and both very lightweight compared to other mice in their category.

Other mice perhaps worth looking at are Diamondback 3G and the Logitech G3 laser mouse, but I don’t know much about these two in terms of tracking performance and build quality. Diamondback as far as I know uses the same sensor as DA so presumably the tracking will be the same. I seem to recall Fragga mentioning that he used to use a G3 laser mouse, perhaps you could ask him about it.

Xai still has lots of glaring problems. Google about these or read http://www.fragyou.net/2009/11/15/steelseries-xai-142-software-available/#comments before you consider purchasing this mouse.

I will say that if these sensor problems were fixed, Xai would undoubtedly be the best mouse I’ve used. Unfortunately as it stands, my Xai is bricked and I’m using an ancient first generation G5 until I can be arsed to buy another mouse.

Also look at http://wikis.jp/interfacedevice/index.php?MaximumSpeed_en for info on various mice/sensors used on different surfaces. [Edit:] You can see from the first graph that G3 mouse is not good tracking when used on some surfaces, including Steelseries SX.

Last edited by KOVACS,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »