Forum

Help with basic frag movie making.

Created 22nd June 2010 @ 13:29

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 8 Next »

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

I am doing an extended project at my school, which basically means I can do anything, I have decied to make a frag video of my team and as I am both really, really dumb and unexperienced at editing I have a few questions now and I am sure many, many questions to come, so to start:

I am going to use Sony Vegas pro 9 and after effects. What I was wondering is it better to record TF2 striaght to avi form or use tga and compile it in Virtual dub?

Is it worth using the pldx recording tool?

The aforementioned retardation means that I can’t really understand how to save a past copy of TF2, as I am sure the engineer update is going to come before I finsh (which is in October) I would love if someone could give me step by step guide using monosyllabic words and slow speech and maybe hand signal, like pointing at things, I respond well to that.

I also have a problem with perfect, like the rest of humanity, so I (obivously) want it to really good, so if there is anything you think is glaringly bad or wrong in what I am doing please say so.

BTW this post gives me marks, this is best thing I have ever done in school.

kuma

lol nice school

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

Yeah it counts as an AS grade as well and I was goignt o do it anyways but this motavates me to do it.

randa

What is this school you speak of ?

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

Camden School for Girls (I am a boy, thi is beacuase they accept us boys into the 6th form) although I think an extented project is avaible at any school, but i could ebe making that up. I am on my lunch breaka dn in compture room, I am that bored.

Skyride

DUCS

Your english skills serve you well sir, I was thinking “lol what an idiot” until I read this:

I would love if someone could give me step by step guide using monosyllabic words and slow speech and maybe hand signal, like pointing at things, I respond well to that.

BTW this post gives me marks, this is best thing I have ever done in school.

Add me on steam, I might be able to help. ;)

Monkeh

.:ne:.

I’m no pro….at all, but I have been messing around recently with the programs your talking about, also from a complete beginner standpoint, so I feel I can offer some insight that may be useful.

I find the PLDX tool very useful, it simplifies everything and makes the game look all shiny and special.

From what I can gather, there is no real quality difference using tga or avi, at least no perceptable difference anyways.

Recording to avi is a lot quicker too as compiling a tga in VDub takes a while, plus it fills your ‘tf’ folder with a hundred million, (at least), seperate files.

Good luck and feel free to add me on steam, although there are many people out there with many, many times my knowledge.

Last edited by Monkeh,

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

kk, as I am at school can’t add anyone yet, but will when I am at home. I am going to get my team mate to help with some designs and titles ( he doesn’t know this yet) and I need to decied on music etc, but I am sure I will need people’s help as soon as I start recording. For example if anyone wants to hear me in pain then wait until I start demo smoothing.

WARHURYEAH

GlueEater

I was and still am under the impression that After Effects is for, well, after effects to certain clips and vegas for basic editing, that’s if you don’t mind switching between the two.

Anyway PLDX tutorials are your friends, they will serve you well.

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

Yeah they look good, skyboxs don’t look too complicated to add and I might try some of the cool effects featuerd there.

Also which is teh best config to use for the video, pldx’s or someone’s custom.

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from Monkeh

From what I can gather, there is no real quality difference using tga or avi, at least no perceptable difference anyways.

Recording to avi is a lot quicker too as compiling a tga in VDub takes a while, plus it fills your ‘tf’ folder with a hundred million, (at least), seperate files.

Recording straight to AVI has no quality difference (assuming you use the same codec of course). However it is very buggy and often causes problems with the sound de-syncing.

Also, heres a fix for that tf folder problem. :P

1) Go to your tf folder
2) Make a folder in it called “tga” (or PinkFluffyBunny if you like, tga is just a suggestion)
3) From now on, instead if typing “startmovie 1337KILL”, do “startmovie PinkFluffyBunny\1337KILL”

Your tga files will go into that folder.

Monkeh

Quoted from Monkeh

although there are many people out there with many, many times my knowledge.

I love it when I get things right!

Cheers man.

jason

PHX

Biggest thing is not to hang on to demos for ages waiting for the “right” time to use them.

Get your clips out of TF2 and into raw video as soon as possible then you won’t have problems like updates breaking your demos.

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from CrashSite

Yeah they look good, skyboxs don’t look too complicated to add and I might try some of the cool effects featuerd there.

Also which is teh best config to use for the video, pldx’s or someone’s custom.

Ye, I made a script to do it (theres a tutorial on PldX) which is why you’ve now seen a million videos with custom skyboxes that last few weeks. :D

Also the PldX tool installs the PldX config for you, so no worries there.

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

Well my only problem is that I would ideally like to ahve all frags from the officals in the AFS league so that would be problem. I was also going to plan which songs to use and then set up a rough plan of transitions and matrix-like 360 shots. But if we fail as a team, not entirely unlikely I might ahve to use older clips, which is a problem as the mac update broke them, inclusing my 7 man DH kill spree which is more like 4 DH and 3 shotgun kills but still.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 8 Next »