Forum

Mainline_RC5 awesome custom map

Created 6th March 2010 @ 21:52

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 5 Next »

yin

looks really nice and also a big battlefield for airshots :>

tteh-t

Quoted from Randdalf

When the maker thinks he can freely and lavishly copy and paste things from other people’s maps and give no credit whatsoever (see: koth_basalt, pl_outback), it makes me sad to see other maps being forgone in favour of this one.

Or maybe I should ask what exactly? Who used what in which map?

Last edited by tteh-t,

Randdalf

(0v0)

Quoted from tteh-t

[…]
Or maybe I should ask what exactly? Who used what in which map?

Look for example, at the displacement hoodoos at the middle on Basalt. From Badlands.

Waster

Somebody said this was a mix between bad and gran so i became interested. Although i describe it more as the mid of fastlane and the end of yukon. Second point looks fun and interesting to play. But i dont know if its fun to play. Scout and snipers looks way too powerful on mid, just like fastlane.

Anyway, there is a lot to improve. You can take standard valve maps as example when and when not to place garage doors. Its most of the time a separation between the inside and outside. It also reduces the effectiveness for snipers and spam. Take a look at well and granary for example. Although, when there is already a wooden wall and shelter to cover the exits, the garage door is superfluous. It only creates an extra chokepoint. Here are some examples where its going wrong in my opinion: link and link. And here are some examples where a garagedoor is welcome but isnt there: link, link, link and link.

I also saw some interesting places to jump onto, but thats denied. Like on the middle and last.

Why spawn on such a weird places on top when there is a perfect place to spawn at ground level possible link
Door wont close for some reason.
link, make it easier to recognize whats the spawn door and whats the fake one. I dont want to burn to death because i cant reach the resupply because i choose the wrong door. Place some objects in front of the fake one for example.
link seems a boring long hallway. Maybe you can make it more interesting.
This is a really small hallway. Make it A LOT wider, because it is the most important way to switch sides if you changed your mind and want to attack from another side.
The left hallway to last is really small and has way to much corners where stickytraps are possible or you can be juggled by a soldier. Redesign that area so its wider and only has one or two corners.

Last edited by Waster,

Defur

Nice feedback waster : )

I always welcome custom maps, I hope this one is another one that sucsseds!

ilike2spin

RLM

Quoted from Randdalf

When the maker thinks he can freely and lavishly copy and paste things from other people’s maps and give no credit whatsoever (see: koth_basalt, pl_outback), it makes me sad to see other maps being forgone in favour of this one.

People don’t want to play pl and koth, so a 5cp alternative of good pl and koth maps are favoured I guess.

Randdalf

(0v0)

Quoted from ilike2spin

[…]

People don’t want to play pl and koth, so a 5cp alternative of good pl and koth maps are favoured I guess.

I don’t think you get what I meant, it’s a matter of ethics not a matter of quality. I was simply using those 2 maps as a reference for previous misdeeds.

Fragga

FRAGGA`s
RIP

I don’t get the problem you guys have. TF2 needs new maps for competitive play, rather than say “it’s boring” or “it looks like x” try and add some useful suggestions. Swaty, the map’s designer, has listened to everyone when he made this map and has adjusted various aspects – it’s now close to its final release so use this thread to give support, suggestions and any bugs you might find (like waster has done).

re: D2M – a one-night cup would be fantastic

Last edited by Fragga,

Randdalf

(0v0)

The one overriding sentiment for me, is that the map is essentially flat. Any height difference or advantage is purely for optimisation purposes (I assume) or to append another route to an area. The ground areas, whilst providing height differentials, still essentially keep the combat at the same level across the entire map. This could be said of Granary, but Granary features pipes at the last point, and the containers at middle. The only part of Mainline which has this feature is the small bridge overlooking the second point.

The layout itself, whilst unique, is not particularly exciting, a series of angle roof buildings connecting open areas – and this is a theme which is repeated across the entire map. No point stands out as a “whoa, this is new, innovative and exciting,” but rather, that the points are “new… but not particularly interesting,” for me at least.

There are also some, I believe, poor design decisions around the 2nd point. It is sunk into the ground such that it is below the rest of the play area. This has some negative effects – defending the point is made much more difficult for the team who owns it (which, upon reflection, could be to counteract some huge advantage the team has defending the point), and furhtermore, it is a bucket for grenade spam – any rollies in the area, will undoubtedly collect into the capture point.

Visually, the map is a mess in places, and overall just dull. There is no story behind the map, and it suffers for it. Overlays are strewn haphardly across the walls, with each and every angled roof featuring the same lifeless texture (in many cases, orientated in the wrong direction – the grain should come down the roof). Every outdoor wall has an assortment of windows, vents and hatches, cluttering the map’s detail, and ultimately making everything look much the same.

Any displacements the author made himself are poor and look unnatural, with the intention to make the displacement look reasonably curvy, than to mimic geology – resulting in awful looking clumps of rock strewn around the maps. Other displacements that do look good were copy+pasted from Badlands (in the detail area here http://i49.tinypic.com/2nn9rq.jpg, on the right of the image here http://i49.tinypic.com/14mxgg5.jpg ), with no attempt to disguise that fact. The concrete in which the rails are in at the middle are taken from Well.

One thing that annoys me greatly, is how inconsistently the angled roofs are made. Generally, they should be 4 units thick with an overhang of 8/16 units -this should be consistent throughout the map. In Mainline however, they’re a total shambles – some roof have different textures to the roof tiling on their side, some have roof tiles to the side, some vertically, some are unnaturally thick, some have little or no overhang at all. It all adds up to make something that is horribly inconsistent, yet dull and repetitive at the same time. The entire map’s visual theme is a contradiction in some place or another.

I haven’t played the map enough to make a judgement on its gameplay, but undoubtedly, it will play better than it looks.

All this said, there is one thing I would like to say. Every custom map will play alright if you have a layout that’s reasonably balanced and good spawn times, but maps that are truely special will introduce exciting new layouts, with height-based gameplay and opportunity for new tactics. At the end of the day, Mainline doesn’t have this quality, the CP that makes you think and try new things – like the Badlands spire. Until it has this special quality, I’d much rather play something that does have a special quality, rather than a map with a layout that will ultimately play a bit like every other map out there. That’s what Mainline is, it’s just another map, and I don’t think it deserves as much attention as it’s been getting (in America, that is).

We, competitive players as a whole, don’t really find new maps to play on unless they’re force fed down our throuts, rather preferring to err on the side of caution by playing what we already know. On the rare occasion maps do make it through, they’re suddenly hailed as the next coming, the map to play, and I suspect if any map that played decently was given the same treatment, we’d all find enjoyment (at the end of the day) in it. Yet, there’s usually something out there that’s better than it, but does not recieve the same vocal support. I think we need to start finding these maps for ourselves rather than just accepting what’s given.

Mark

Phase

All the doors are the wrong way round.

kala

We have played this several times now on finnish gather.
And its awesome map to play, but its still a scout map.
Scouts can roam around almost freely and flank all the time.

but I do like this map, alot.

hykleri

Here we go!

http://img202.imageshack.us/i/cpmainlinerc40000.jpg/
This place really annoys me. I haven’t played it in 6on6 but i can see it would be really frustraiting for a scout on the attacking side. If you want to check for stickies or whatev, you will be dead prolly, because the solly/demo/scout on the defing side will see the doors opening before you on the attacking side actually can be seen, so they can kill you with rockets/stickies/ or a scout can hide above the door and 2 shot you when you come out.

I was thinkin of how this place would be better, and i have an idea.
http://img697.imageshack.us/i/cpmainlinerc40001.jpg/
http://img638.imageshack.us/i/cpmainlinerc40002.jpg/
So, i think you should move the entire wall a bit back, so the left and the right side would be in line. In this case, you could move the stairs back too, so attacking team should have the opportunity to open the door when they are standing on the ground, not still on the stairs.

The second problem is the route on the left
http://img28.imageshack.us/i/cpmainlinerc40008.jpg/
http://img514.imageshack.us/i/cpmainlinerc40009.jpg/
If you would move the door like in the pics, there would be only one corner in the route, so less sticky traps, and it would be more simple. YAY o/

Second spawn problem
http://img59.imageshack.us/i/cpmainlinerc40012.jpg/
You should lower the spawn, because atm if you jump from there, you get fall damage. not good T_T

Idea
http://img692.imageshack.us/i/cpmainlinerc40021.jpg/
You should move the medpack to the other side. It would be better for demos when the teams are rolling out, and in general, it would be nicer, and more logical IMO.

Roofs above the small hp and ammo (above)
http://img40.imageshack.us/i/cpmainlinerc40039.jpg/
When i was jumping around on the map with soldier or demo, i was stuck in these roofs sometimes. It could be really frustraiting if an übered solly is stuck.

edit: found some clipin issues too. gonna post them laterZ

Last edited by hykleri,

hykleri

did the map maker actually read it?

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from hykleri

did the map maker actually read it?

I don’t even think the map maker reads ETF2L, since he is a yank.

Last edited by octochris,

Defur

FYI, RC5 is out

just played it in a lobby : )

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 5 Next »