Forum

Switching over to the NA scoring system

Created 14th March 2013 @ 16:41

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 14 Next »

alba

duplo

im almost always up for a change even though whatever is currently used is good, which means i’m very friendly to new maps/ruleset, so I agree with Kaidus and Ipz, lets give it a season and see how it goes :)

Carlos Kaiser

Quoted from CanFo

I guess it would be for highlander too, so we can finally play viaduct.

Last edited by Carlos Kaiser,

Henghast

open
bobs

quoting the entire wall of text in full… why?

I quite enjoyed playing with the American/Oceanic timing rules in the cup whenever that was. Had some intense 5-4 games. Could be awkward to arrange two days in a week to play games when some teams are currently stubbornly saying

“We can only play on X day at 19:30. No other time, nope not ever!”

But for most teams it shouldnt be an issue and I’d rather have two maps a week than just one. All PCWs would be on the same map for that game week otherwise and that’d be more stale than the loaf of bread my housemate has in his cupboard.

Nymthae

-9w-
-9m-

In the end, i’m happy to give most things a go so I wouldn’t mind trying it.

I don’t watch much TF2, and i’ve not played a whole season in this format (and it’s early, i’m tired) so maybe someone needs to briefly explain to me:

Many games are decided 5-10 minutes before the timelimit ends (e.g. because one team is leading by 4 points or so). This is kind of anticlimatic for both, players and spectators and can make matches boring. It also makes comebacks harder and we all love epic comebacks, don’t we?

How is that going to change? If a team is going to be 3-4 points ahead then they’re doing it regardless. If it gets stuck at 4-1 and becomes “boring” that won’t change with another system? They’ve not reached 5 points so there’s no auto win (and there’s no difference of 5 with our system). Depending how that score is actually achieved, it could pretty much just take forever for what is “boring”.

The switch will promote aggresive play. It would be no longer useful to sit and defend the 4th point for 4 minutes to force the opponent to push from a disadvantageous position, for example.

How? This is kind of score dependent I guess, but technically you can have the game lasting 60 minutes – there’s almost more flexibility for camping to let them push out, no? Bide your time rather than hitting the end of the 30 mins, because you have another 30 minutes to play with!

I like the idea of a unified rule set though, would be great for people watching various casts who aren’t overly familiar with both scenes.

I like playing more than a map a week, so I dunno how this would feel. I’d be up for two games a week but I reckon the scheduling will be a nightmare.

In the end, I don’t really care but the current system isn’t broken so it seems like it it’s just making more work really when the alternative system isn’t necessarily better, just different. Happy to try it though, and yeah S15 might be a bit early. Run a couple of cups during S15 with a view to implement it in S16?

Kemor

Yea, sure, let’s become one with NA community rather than have our own.

Big nope, current EU system is better and easier.

Enef

fest
#wubafan

I want this for a few reasons and have argued for it for about 2 years.

1, unifying the league rules across all communities does two things. Firstly it makes it easier to understand from a spectator standpoint. If all the leagues use the same rules US and EU and AUS specs all understand each others rules already. Everyone can just focus on the game and not worry about not understanding. Secondly it makes it far easier for new players to get involved. Eg. if you are a EU based player but you’ve only seen US games it would be really confusing as to what is happening and why the rules are different.

2. Difference of 5 promotes passive play.

Ok, so this might not make massive sense seeing as i just got up and i am typing this on my phone.

The way i like to explain this point to people is like this.

First TO 5 is a race, nobody wants to play one map for one hour. If you are ahead by 3 you feel you want to play aggressively to finish the game. If you are down by 3 you feel like you have more time and you play aggressively to catch up and win.

Noone will be 4-3 ahead and turtling snakewater last with 2 sentries and a heavy with another 30 minutes to play.

Obviously changing the rules won’t immediately eliminate all passive play and turtle strats. The rules aren’t the only reason EU plays like a slug surrounded by salt. Mindsets about the game also need to change but i feel the past season or two, since we got some new blood in prem rather than rehashing the same 30 player pool constantly, this has already begun to happen and we’re seeing the effects all the way down the divisions.

Of course, some faggot is going to jump in and discredit my post with LOL div3 but yeah.

Tl;dr: let’s do it and stop being turtley faggots

edit: forgot to mention that if we do switch we would need some kind of client like ESEA i guess. Though i imagine we can’t use theirs we may have to rely on our lovely community to develop one ;)

Last edited by Enef,

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Nymthae

How is that going to change? If a team is going to be 3-4 points ahead then they’re doing it regardless. If it gets stuck at 4-1 and becomes “boring” that won’t change with another system? They’ve not reached 5 points so there’s no auto win (and there’s no difference of 5 with our system). Depending how that score is actually achieved, it could pretty much just take forever for what is “boring”.

Because the timilimit is an hour instead of 30 minutes. Nobody wants to hold a point for that long just to win the game. The hour timelimit also means there is plenty of time for a comeback, and will effictively encourage people to play a lot more aggressively. The game becomes a race to 5 round wins, rather than a turtle to 30 minutes.

edit; basically what Enef said (sorry, I didn’t read :D)

Last edited by Spike Himself,

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

Regarding a client: It is no secret that our coders plan to write a client that automatises match uploading and player verification. Obviously, the win conditions would be monitored by such a client as well. We have no ETA on this yet and I do not expect it to be done any time soon (e.g. before that can start, the API needs to be rewritten).
However, this system works in UGC 6s and on ozfortress and they do not have a client doing the counting for them so I do not see why it would not work here without a client.

Enef

fest
#wubafan

Quoted from CanFo

Regarding a client: It is no secret that our coders plan to write a client that automatises match uploading and player verification. Obviously, the win conditions would be monitored by such a client as well. We have no ETA on this yet and I do not expect it to be done any time soon (e.g. before that can start, the API needs to be rewritten).
However, this system works in UGC 6s and on ozfortress and they do not have a client doing the counting for them so I do not see why it would not work here without a client.

The less you rely on people to NOT be idiots, the better.

AnimaL

I dont understand why people think that if round is 1 hour long, euros would suddenly stop turtling around… The way I see it means that if teams are somewhat equally bad at pushing then we will get even more boring games.. Minus prem ofc, since they are the only ones who I think would have a problem with standing still for hour.

freshmeatt

‹Con›

Quoted from Enef

[…]

The less you rely on people to NOT be idiots, the better.

Can’t be more right about it. We’ll get there, although indirect measures will have to be applied before that happens.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from AnimaL

Minus prem ofc, since they are the only ones who I think would have a problem with standing still for hour.

This counters the rest of your argument. The lower divs don’t know how to play, that’s why they are in the lower divs. They still need to learn, that’s all there is to it.

Comedian

unification be good yo

doks

MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!!!!

1 week 1 enemy 1 map. easy.

atmo

How many games actually go to 60 minutes in ESEA?

I’d be in favour of this except for the team swapping which only panders to babies.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 14 Next »