Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 12 13 14 ... 21 Next »

shdwpuppet

Quoted from Koeitje

Can’t eu teams just go to an NA lan.

we ah umm

dont have any :(

beta

RaWr ::

Just on a side note away from costs, money, who is going etc… this is directed at you shadowpuppet.

Do you really think arriving on the Thursday 23rd in London will give the players enough time to catch up on sleep?

Of course, I am not silly, these things directly relate to costs, but if I had just done a 12 hour flight + connections I am not exactly going to be ‘fresh’

Arguably the group stages may not require ‘100%’ but by Saturday they would need to of recovered or they may as well get an early flight home.

Just a thought, maybe you could get in touch with some of the big CS teams to ask how they usually best cope? I imagine most will have a couple of days buffer beforehand.

Last edited by beta,

Enef

fest
#wubafan

Part of the problem might be that they won’t know exact prices until they’ve had the tournament to see who goes, so they have to make rough estimates based on what they can find.

I think after ESEA and their own tournament finishes a lot of this stuff will become clearer as eXtv as a whole will have time to deal with it properly.

Extremer

THE PRICES!

Enef

fest
#wubafan

I made a quick mockup of some potential “fundraiser” t shirts >.>

I doubt anyone would buy them but it might fuel someone with actual ability to go ahead and make something of worth.

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff323/NJSFirth/navseuEURO.jpg http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff323/NJSFirth/navseuUSA.jpg

Sketch

MM

But enef what if the final is either all euro or all American?

Enef

fest
#wubafan

Then don’t wear either?

shdwpuppet

Quoted from beta

Just on a side note away from costs, money, who is going etc… this is directed at you shadowpuppet.

Do you really think arriving on the Thursday 23rd in London will give the players enough time to catch up on sleep?

Of course, I am not silly, these things directly relate to costs, but if I had just done a 12 hour flight + connections I am not exactly going to be ‘fresh’

Arguably the group stages may not require ‘100%’ but by Saturday they would need to of recovered or they may as well get an early flight home.

Just a thought, maybe you could get in touch with some of the big CS teams to ask how they usually best cope? I imagine most will have a couple of days buffer beforehand.

Unfortunately I agree with you, this will be a minor problem, but having them arrive days earlier can ramp up costs and leave the team with nothing much to do for a couple days.

If jet lag is an issue, what I do to combat it on the several trips I have been on is to adjust my schedule up to a week in advance, living (as best I can) on an EU time schedule. They will have to shift as much as they can in their lives forward 5 hours for at least a few days before the trip to start the process.

Greg

TEZC

I’m still disappointed there is no transparancy in the costing yet.

You know all 4 teams that could possibly be sent, you know where the players are from, it doesn’t take much to do a current pricing for each team, along with pricing the PC rentals and hotels.

Please get at least a basic cost evaluation hosted

AcidReniX

RaWr ::

Personally, I wouldn’t expect them to have a solid plan in place at the moment, and the way they are going about things seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Ultimately they needed to start the donations section as soon as possible, but a lot depends on what level of donations they actually get. You would need to have solid plans for everything, and well… costs change as the times change. I think the values they have posted, are very good estimates, which is all they can really do at this point.

Maybe 3 months ago, they saw the cost of flights to be $600, but what if this is what they planned for, and the donations only came in mid July where they have to buy much more expensive flights? The costings they have mentioned, sound high, but also reasonable considering they don’t know exactly when they are going to purchase the flights.

They will need a bed and shower, I couldn’t scrub it up for a long weekend, after a transatlantic flight. At least two decent nights sleep would be required, so hotels are needed.

My biggest concern has always been what happens with the cash if the targets are not met. I believe (if I’ve read right), that a team WILL be attending i46 regardless of the donations. That to me is enough for me to donate, and feel safe about my donation. I wouldn’t have wanted to see some US (or EU if it was swapped around) gaming organisation of any kind, with $5000 – $9000 of money, and then the plans get cancelled. TF2 tournament prize? Hell no, I wouldn’t donate for that!

This appears to have been addressed by saying that a team will be going, and this is just helping them pay for the costs, and maybe get an additional team to attend as well. It’s perfect. Get donating people!!

As for the coverage, it’s clear eXtv is putting a lot of work into this. I’m sure the VTV and eXtv staff will get on perfectly, swap around with commentaries and other coverage. The coverage for i43 was insanely good, and with so many people wanting to show up to provide coverage, this one will only be even better. I’m sure in total, we will have more coverage and exposure than all the other games at this event put together!

Someone in IRC also mentioned if a US team wins it, should they keep the prize money? It’s a good point to raise! I personally think that shouldn’t be an issue. They’ve come over for the tournament, they should be entitled to claim their prize if they win anything, and it’s more motivation for them, but I think they should be a little curtious of the people that helped get them there, and maybe buy a very very large round of beer on the final night for the community ;)

… not that they will win! *boom*.

BoneS

swimp
ciortai

^^ Completely agree..

My only hesitation regarding my earlier query about what if no american teams come to lan, was referring to the remote chance of something drastic stopping people from coming. Such as cancelled flights, family emergencies and other unforseen circumstances. Then what would happen with the donations. Other than that I think the estimation is fair and the teams themselves are pulling their own weight. I get the feeling that both sides want this just as much as each other!

If you could possibly answer that please shdwpuppet. Regardless of your answer I will be donating on pay day this month.

atmo

Dear Epsilon,

When you are presented with the prize for first place, please remember to thank the TF2 community for funding this project and providing you with such *cough* worthy quarterfinal opponents.

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

Now i’m back from the isle of wight festival (i stink of piss and mud) i’ll have a chat with shadow tonight and get an FAQ sorted and then update the FAQ as needed, as currently we keep going over old ground.

Basically one team is pretty much guarenteed to go even if we don’t reach the 10k mark as money from sponsors will be able to help this out. However the sponsors are only willing to do this because they are generous and they hope for community backing as well, so please dont donate because you think they’ll get the money anyway, thats not what the spirit of this donation drive is about, its respecting the sponsors enough to help them out in doing this awesome thing if that makes sense :).

What happens if no teams come? As shadow says this is very unlikely but i guess its somthing that needs to be thought about. However ExTV i’m sure in that very unlikely event would be trustworthy with the money, and although there are tons of options that can be done (donate to vtv/extv/lan fund/tapleys cider fund) it probably is a question that needs to be answered.

BoneS

swimp
ciortai

Yeh I’m not implying that they will just do a runner with the donations or anything. I am just curious as to where it will go. There aren’t really that many options.

1. eXtv (future lan support)
2. eXtv/Vanillatf2 Split
3. Multiplay (prizes)
4. Charity
5. Some other equally beneficial investment for both communities
6. Give donations back (could be costly)
7. Quit the scene and pay for deposit on a house

Although realistically i think this “money” would have been spent already on bookings etc so in a worst case senario it would be gone anyway.

Donations seem to be going well anyway 10% done is damn good. The negativity is purely a cultural difference, we are not used to hand out mentality and hate seeing people get things for free! fuck knows why.

Last edited by BoneS,

Mike

TEZC

Quoted from atmo

Dear Epsilon,

When you are presented with the prize for first place, please remember to thank the TF2 community for funding this project and providing you with such *cough* worthy quarterfinal opponents.

ha

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 12 13 14 ... 21 Next »