Forum

startmovie avi error - "A suitable compressor could not be found"

Created 30th April 2010 @ 18:23

Add A Reply Pages: 1

Trying to record a Demo 7alfa gave me from the IsF vs RQ match, but when using startmovie avi I get the following error message:

“A suitable compressor could not be found”

resulting in a .avi of exactly 0kB in size. :S

Is it because the update broke the Demo or did it break the Demo recorder?

octochris

(0v0)

Kind of goes around your issue, but why would you want to render to AVI? Rendering to targa/wave is a lot less buggy…

Salmon

alfa
[hePPa]

Some others have had the same problem, I’ve learned that recording to .avi is very random

But recording to .tga always works

and

“Currently, Source’s avi utility does not create open-dml 2.0 compliant files, meaning files over 2 gb are corrupt, and has a 4 gb cap.” (im not sure if this has been updated)

Quoted from octochris

Kind of goes around your issue, but why would you want to render to AVI? Rendering to targa/wave is a lot less buggy…

Because it’s simply faster, and worked flawlessly for me until this update. Rendering as .tga and converting also seems to give a little desynchronization of the audio at the larger clips.

Quoted from Salmon

“Currently, Source’s avi utility does not create open-dml 2.0 compliant files, meaning files over 2 gb are corrupt, and has a 4 gb cap.” (im not sure if this has been updated)

Noticed that, but this is a 6 second (~300MB) section I want to convert. :S

Salmon

alfa
[hePPa]

Quoted from Buffalo Bill

Noticed that, but this is a 6 second (~300MB) section I want to convert. :S

just wanted to mention the filesize limit, because it is a good example of why startmovie avi shouldn’t be used (or at least you shouldn’t always expect it to work.)

Add A Reply Pages: 1