Forum

Framerate drop caused by ram?

Created 19th April 2010 @ 16:23

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »

gK

Mc\\\'s

Hey guys,

So here’s my problem, i just installed win7 last night and everything was ok, but today i decided to upgrade fro 2go to 4go ddr2, and since then my framerate is fucked. Used to be 300 almoste stable everywhere, and now its about 40/50 with variations (can be 100 then drops down to 20 etc).

I use m0re highfps, but its the same with -autoconfig so i guess its not related.

My config is :

c2d e3400 @ 3ghz
HD4870 512
4go ddr2 pc 8500
MB P55pro
Win7 ultimate 64bit

Seems that tf2 is the only game to have a problem, and i really dont get it…

Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

TY

The *only* thing that changed between the 300fps and the 30-40fps is the RAM? Try taking out every stick except 1, boot up. If it works, that stick is ok. Then try the other sticks in the same method throughout all ram slots.

Abunai

Do you have a “-heapsize” cvar in your launch options?
If you upgraded and forgot to change, that could possibly be doing it.

Might also want to try putting your old ram back in just to test that something hasn’t gone wrong elsewhere coincidentally.

dannye

cb.

“-heapsize 2097152” should fix it

gK

Mc\\\'s

Yes, only thing that changed is the ram, played the game 5 minutes before installing it and it was ok, so my old ram is clear i guess but i will try (but if it was this i guess other games would be affected also).

I tried with and without the -heapsize options (recalculated fo 4go) and its still the same :(

gK

Mc\\\'s

Btw th heapsize options makes the game unplayable, cant even click on continue when joining a server….

octochris

(0v0)

Don’t use -heapsize, it is known to cause problems and should not be recommended.

If your stick of RAM was bad it would cause more problems than just an FPS drop. Are you sure your BIOS hasn’t spazzed out and set everything to defaults because of the new hardware?

Quoted from octochris

If your stick of RAM was bad it would cause more problems than just an FPS drop. Are you sure your BIOS hasn’t spazzed out and set everything to defaults because of the new hardware?

Not necessarily. I had a bad stick of ram and everything worked fine except when putting it under load in certain programs.

gK

Mc\\\'s

ok great, juste pulled out the 2go i just installed, and its still fucked up…i dont get it :(

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Buffalo Bill

[…]

Not necessarily. I had a bad stick of ram and everything worked fine except when putting it under load in certain programs.

Yes, but it wouldn’t just cause ‘FPS drops’ if there /was/ an error.

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from octochris

Don’t use -heapsize, it is known to cause problems and should not be recommended.

this.

Also, if taking out the stick doesn’t help it has absolutely nothing to do with the RAM upgrade. Are you positive nothing else has changed?

octochris

(0v0)

If pulling out the stick didn’t fix it then I stick to my theory that your BIOS has reset to failsafes/defaults, and something is set incorrectly for your system configuration.

Last edited by octochris,

gK

Mc\\\'s

So, i got bored and decided to reinstall win7, and it worked…

But now my network is fucked :D

Anyways, tyvm for your quick answers ^^

gK

Mc\\\'s

I’m gonna use this topic for my new problem :/

My ping keeps going from 50 to 100 all the time… It does that only ingame, when i try to ping ggogle or anything the ping is great, but as soon as im ingame it goes crazy, and it makes everybody warping from my pov…

FML

Cloud

.wldcrd!

How odd, as for the network, run a traceroute through to the server you most often play on so you can find out where the lag is coming from, not a definite issue with your setup after all

start> run (search box :D) > cmd (obviously)
tracert -d IP_HERE
Don’t put the port in either, as you probably guessed, and the -d just stops it looking up the name of the IP it passes through, saves a little time, but feel free to remove it if you’re interested

If you notice a certain gateway that’s beyond the one listed as 192.168.x.x with a huge ping, the issue’s there, not at your end, but don’t be surprised by -quite- high pings to some servers, compared to your usual. Huge and quite being relative :P

If it turns out there isn’t anything along the line lagging it up, try forwarding the ports on your router, making sure it’s assigning the ports to your PC (and obviously that your PC has a permanent lease on it’s IP, or has it set as static over the LAN, some routers call it different things)

If you don’t know the local IP of your PC to forward the ports to, do
ipconfig
in cmd, and look for “IPv4 address” – IP next to this is your IP for your LAN

I’ve occasionally had stuff lag without port forwarding, never been sure why since NAT should do it, but hey

Can’t think of anything else off the top of my head, and if any of the above is wrong I’m sure someone will slate me for it ;)

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »