Forum

Mouse Polling Rate on Windows 8?

Created 13th February 2013 @ 11:41

Add A Reply Pages: 1

konr

Anyone managed to overclock USB polling rate in Windows 8? I installed it assuming that the old methods would work and apparently they do not. I have a WMO 1.1a so it’s pretty much useless without overclocking.

Selek

Dr. med.

Is the difference even noticeable? I never understood how it it sensible to have a higher input rate than your display will be able to refresh.

But I digress, sorry.

ell

(ETF2L Donator)

Quoted from Selek

Is the difference even noticeable? I never understood how it it sensible to have a higher input rate than your display will be able to refresh.

But I digress, sorry.

I’ve played with WMO for 1-2 years and IE3.0 for 5 (both share the same sensor) and there is clear difference. Basically, increasing the polling rate is what makes them useful. Because of the inner workings of the censor, increasing the polling rate over ~250hz increases your perfect control speed from ~1m/s to ~1.5m/s. Increasing from 125hz to 500hz, which is the most common, also decreases the latency from 8 ms to 2, a noticeable difference. Esreality found the same stabil bahavior @1000hz, but there are suspicions that such a high frequency may damage the hardware in the long run (not confirmed). The maximum control speed doesn’t benefit from such an increase and the latency decrease is only 1 ms, so most people play it safe.

Last edited by ell,

bebeto

|Ks|

i saw a post somewhere that a guy successfully oc it to 250hz on win8. but to get a decent feeling, you’ll need at least 400hz.
if you’re somewhat interested i can find it back.

Selek

Dr. med.

ell:
Thanks for your elaborate answer. So you are saying twitch movement becomes more accurate? That makes sense, I guess.

I was referring to the fact that you wouldn’t be able to see where you are aiming until after 8 ms even with a 120 Hz display anyway, so OC wouldn’t help there (Also, I’m not sure how fast the human brain would be to assess the situation anyway).

But your explanation seems reasonable.

Add A Reply Pages: 1