Forum

Windows 95 Help

Created 26th March 2011 @ 12:07

Add A Reply Pages: 1

TopGear

tH

I was wondering if there is anyone who has access to a computer that is running windows 95 and could do me a small favour.

I have 4 files which were backed up using MS backup on windows 95 about 12 years ago containing some old family photos and stored on 3.5″ floppy. Problem is that in order to extract the files they have to be done on windows 95, I have tried for about 12 hours to use virtual machine emulation of windows 95 but it just wont work. It simply has to be done on an old windows 95 machine.

If you can help, or know of an alternative way to access windows 95 qic files please let me know.

Thanks

Last edited by TopGear,

WildEast

.:EnG!:.
<3

Can’t you install a copy of Win95 on some empty partition, get the files, and format it again?

TopGear

tH

no I only have sata hard drives, and windows 95 does not have sata support so it wont be able to detect the hard drive.

tesco

mrp.

dosbox?

TopGear

tH

I have windows 95 running on virtual box, and on windows virtual pc. I have tried to run ms backup but when it asks for the disks, even though windows 95 reads the drive it wont get any further and says waiting for tape. I even tried making floppy disk images, windows 95 reads them, but still cant get around waiting for tape problem.

Basically I think emulation support unfortunately just wont cut it in the instance. And I cant seem to find any way of converting the files or any alternative ;(

I even tried windows 98, windows me and ms-dos backup, but apparently “by design” yeah right ms backup is not backwardly compatible with older versions.

Si^

T2P
[PG]

I think I still have my windows 95 pc but its at my home (im at uni) but not sure of the condition of it (think the harddrive was going) Ill check with my dad sometime.

Andee

GoT<3
HoT<3

Dunno if it works, but you could extract ms backup from the w95 install disk. It should work on win98. Extract the files from the CAB files and you should be fine. What is the exact error message you getting? Media type not supported or something?

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from TopGear

I have windows 95 running on virtual box, and on windows virtual pc. I have tried to run ms backup but when it asks for the disks, even though windows 95 reads the drive it wont get any further and says waiting for tape. I even tried making floppy disk images, windows 95 reads them, but still cant get around waiting for tape problem.

Basically I think emulation support unfortunately just wont cut it in the instance. And I cant seem to find any way of converting the files or any alternative ;(

I even tried windows 98, windows me and ms-dos backup, but apparently “by design” yeah right ms backup is not backwardly compatible with older versions.

sounds like your backup is broken – emulated or not, it should just work

come to think of it, if that has been on the same floppy disks for 12 years, yeah it probably is unreadable by now. those things dont keep data for that long.

Last edited by Spike Himself,

TopGear

tH

I have made some screenshots of the process here http://www.digital-illusion.net/images/backup.gif

Initial screen (error message), click ok and it shows the contents of the backup archive, start restore and thats as far as it goes.

Considering that it reads the archive and displays the contents I think the data has not degraded.

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

TG i have an old Win 95 machine at work we use for an access control system slap me up on steam if you want and i’ll give you my email and i can do it tommrow?

Last edited by Tapley ❤,

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from TopGear

Considering that it reads the archive and displays the contents I think the data has not degraded.

I honestly hope for you that you’re right, as it would be a shame to lose photographs this old, but I’m afraid that it being able to display contents does not necessarily mean that the archive isn’t damaged.

AnimaL

did u try swaping different volumes? 3.8MB means there are multiple drives

TopGear

tH

Thats the problem animal, it asks for the 1st file but no matter whats in the drive it will not continue. And it does not have an option to change the destination path.

Thanks Tapley, just message me on steam when your on and I will give you a link to the files.

Add A Reply Pages: 1