Forum

Almie's Recording Tool (BETA, Works with SteamPipe)

Created 13th May 2013 @ 22:13

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 10 Next »

Almie

pwn!
gum

Hello guys! So, since SteamPipe broke Lawena, official fix doesnt seem to be coming, and many people are complaining that even after the suggested fix they are still having issues, I have decided to make my own recording tool. It is still an alpha version, meaning there probably will be some bugs, but it is made for SteamPipe, unlike Lawena, meaning its no longer a matter of luck whether it works or not.

NOW ON GOOGLE CODE!
Google Code Page: https://code.google.com/p/almies-recording-tool/
Download: https://code.google.com/p/almies-recording-tool/downloads/list
Screenshot: http://puu.sh/3yFmP.jpg

JOIN THE STEAM GROUP: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/almiesrecordingtool

It doesnt have as many features as Lawena yet, but it should be just a matter of a couple of days until I add the features Lawena has. As of now, the features include:
– Custom resolution & framerate
– Changeable HUD (3 Lawena HUDs available + custom)
– Changeable Viewmodel FOV
– Options for enabling/disabling motion blur, steam cloud, crosshair, crosshair switching, damage numbers, hit sound, viewmodels and voice chat
– Custom recording folder

Like I said, I am adding features as fast as I can, I just wanted to get something out to the public, so people who are having issues with Lawena have at least something to use now. And if everything goes well and all features that Lawena has are working, I will start making new ones (also I will probably do proper design, consider this one a placeholder, I know it looks ugly).

Update log:
[14.5.2013] v0.4:
– Added option for disabling voice chat
– Added option for forcing viewmodels on/off
– Added option for changing viewmodel FOV in demos
– Now automatically launches TF2 with DirectX 9.8
[15.5.2013]
– Fixed a bug with framerate
– Temporarily removed DirectX changing, as it messes up the settings as was reported, I will have to look into DirectX more in-depth and then I will re-add the feature in the future when its ready and bugless, sorry for the inconvenience
[17.5.2013] v0.49:
– Fixed a bug that caused settings getting reverted to default or getting messed up
– Fixed and re-added DirectX changing, now with an option for either 8.0/8.1/9.5/9.8
– Added an option for disabling crosshair on sniper while scoped in
[19.5.2013] v0.5:
– Changed status to beta
– Added option to save settings, they are auto-loaded upon every launch
– Changed framerate option to edit field, allowing for any framerate values
– Added option to disable multicore rendering
– Added option to disable sniper’s laser dot
– Re-arranged buttons a little
Change log:
[24.5.2013] v0.6:
– Changed configs from Lawena’s to PLDX (follow in-game instructions)
— Includes PLDX features, like thirdperson camera binds etc.
— Now has an option to record in h264 (instead of PLDXs avi)
– Added an option for disabling Übercharge screen overlay
– Added particles from PLDX (with an option to turn them on/off)
– Added custom skyboxes
— To preview, check skybox_previews folder, I will remake this to be more convenient in the future
— Note: they don’t work with some custom maps that use their own skybox
— Note 2: these skyboxes are the reason why the archive is suddenly 26 MB instead of <1MB that it used to be
[9.7.2013] v0.7:
– Rewrote configs from scratch
— Follow instructions in the console, type “showmenu” to refresh menu
— Fixes the issue of demos not playing for some users
– New look! (see screenshot: http://puu.sh/3yFmP.jpg)
— Skybox selection now includes pictures for preview
– Added Image Sequence Converter
— Convert tga+wav sequences into a video, can convert multiple sequences

Planned features in near future:
– Options for disabling announcer voice and domination/revenge sounds (for now automatically disabled)

How to use:
Follow the instructions in the software, and in-game use the same controls as in Lawena. (I will write a proper guide on how to use this later)

IMPORTANT! I recommend backing up your "custom" folder and tf/cfg/config.cfg. It hasnt happened yet, and it is unlikely to happen, that user config gets deleted, but anything can happen, so be careful.

When reporting bugs, please paste the text log as well, thank you.

Last edited by Almie,

Starkie

ulti?
sniper

thanks, it’s working for me apart from it only running in directx 8 (I tried putting -dxlevel 95 in launch options and it still didnt work)

SorroW

iveR
VDOH

this is awesome :D
will try it out later, got lawena working (although its v.annoying switching the launch options all the time :SS)

Kaneco

screens?

SorroW

iveR
VDOH

oh and also, please implement the thirdperson movement buttons like in PLDX

SorroW

iveR
VDOH

actually PLDX tool just made for steampipe would be awesome lawl
http://pastebin.com/5pfGcxxb

Last edited by SorroW,

nwdlz

Sǒski

Can’t record with f12 like in lawena.
‘No movie started’ in console.
btw u r doing great work :)
[edit] I see. ‘p’ for start recording. Going to test. :)

Last edited by nwdlz,

Spike Himself

TC

genuine question; i never used any recording tool (never needed one) – what does it actually do that would otherwise not be possible? people seem so keen on these tools that only ever seem to cause problems and make configs disappear. what’s so good about these things that convinces people using these sort of tools is actually a good idea?

SHIN

Quoted from Spike Himself

genuine question; i never used any recording tool (never needed one) – what does it actually do that would otherwise not be possible? people seem so keen on these tools that only ever seem to cause problems and make configs disappear. what’s so good about these things that convinces people using these sort of tools is actually a good idea?

Well, most commands you need are bound to keys. And you can temporarily use high quality if you are playing with dx8 and stuff.
I prefer doing it the easy way, i just put host_framerate 30 on and start recording with startmovie.

kaidus

WiK?

You didn’t miss anything, but sadly not everyone is as elite with computers as you so they prefer a tool to do the nitty gritty shit for them.

Almie

pwn!
gum

Many people like playing with low graphics settings for high FPS, but like to record with high settings, because when recording, real-time FPS doesnt matter, and they want their videos to look good. To change between these “modes” one would have to spend a lot of time editing cfgs, writing console commands, backing up and copying huds and textures, and editing launch settings. A recording tool does this all for you in mere seconds and when youre done with recording it sets everything back to the way it was so you can get right to playing, with your normal config.

Quoted from SorroW

oh and also, please implement the thirdperson movement buttons like in PLDX

Sorry, I have never used PLDX, so I am not familiar with its features, but I will look into it and see what I can do :)

Quoted from Kaneco

screens?

Screens of the software or in-game with the settings?

Also, bump because of v0.4 update, check update log in the first post to see the changes :)

Kaneco

Quoted from Almie

[…]

[…]

Also, bump because of v0.4 update, check update log in the first post to see the changes :)

Of the software of course

Skyride

DUCS

They let you record videos without having the slightest clue what you’re doing. I use lawena just to load the graphics config, nothing else.

SorroW

iveR
VDOH

Quoted from Almie

[…]
Many people like playing with low graphics settings for high FPS, but like to record with high settings, because when recording, real-time FPS doesnt matter, and they want their videos to look good. To change between these “modes” one would have to spend a lot of time editing cfgs, writing console commands, backing up and copying huds and textures, and editing launch settings. A recording tool does this all for you in mere seconds and when youre done with recording it sets everything back to the way it was so you can get right to playing, with your normal config.

[…]
Sorry, I have never used PLDX, so I am not familiar with its features, but I will look into it and see what I can do :)

[…]

PLDX had a bind (T) to go into thirdperson mode and then you could turn the camera around with the arrowkeys (left right up down) and also zoom in and out (z x), in Lawena theres no such thing, it makes thirdperson THAT much harder and annoying to make, i guess you can just straight up copy the thirdperson code from the thingy i pasted in my other comment.
im no expert but i think the thirdperson code starts at line 2167 (correct me if im wrong ;D).
if you can do that, it would be awesome

Admiralle

Your recording tool messes up my crosshair completely after I am done recording everything. Also it messes up my options in the game for example : my mouse options, video settings and multiplayer settings etc. I am trying to change it back to where is was but in console I get this :

— Missing Vgui material vgui/logos/UI/spray
‘userconfig.cfg’ not present; not executing.
Host_WriteConfiguration: Wrote cfg/config.cfg

I restart the game and the same thing happens over and over again.

I am not 100% sure if it happens b/c of your tool.

Last edited by Admiralle,

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 10 Next »