Forum

Players vs. admins 2

Created 19th September 2009 @ 23:38

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 5 Next »

Haunter

hehe :) pcws are a good way to practice vs top teams.

and as for the elitist comment, i dont mind helping teams out, sitting on mumble with them and talking them through their gameplay, what they’re doing right and/or wrong, or just give demomen my demos and give them some advice. i just dont like having to waste an hour playing vs a team when the outcome is already determined before it starts..

oh yeh, i remember back in the days in vale “div2? oh cba, rather go cod4” :D

numlocked

(king of all rollouts)
Epsilon

actually i said i’d play div2 (even though it would have been stupid to make vale play there)but as i said “i just dont like having to waste an hour playing vs a team when the outcome is already determined before it starts..”

san-

h.

with that logic there wouldent be much of a league. there are games in every div that are more or less over before they start, still they have to be played. +1 to supreme being, only way to get better is to play better teams in matches that mean something. havent div1 teams been dying for a bigger flora of HIGH clans? im sure ive read that several times on these forums.

Jones

We’ve given you some good games numlocked oh wait we aren’t lower div1!!!

numlocked

(king of all rollouts)
Epsilon

..ofc we want more highskilled teams, but i dont think the current league format is going to help that. lower div1 teams get raped in div1 and then demoralized and leads to them folding (someone else mentioned this in one of the locked threads).

antyjc

2ne1

01:18 – ENGLAND! numlocked ;) m/: at least you aren’t calling me elitist… :D
01:18 – ANTHONY ;o] #twistedplay: you elitist cunt

the top teams seem(or seemed, may be different when nations cup is over) a league above the lower div1 teams, i don’t know if that means they should be in a different league though, it’s always nice to see suprise upsets.

san-

h.

might be so…but if teams get demoralized by being beat by top4 teams its their prob….thats gotta be mindset rather than structural issues. i think the suggested format will completly remove the oppertunity for aspiering teams to get that experience.

dunc

infs
dp.

Should make me an admin. That’d sort everything.

Arnold

DAKKA

playing teams that are skilled higher than you won’t make you play better.

You’re better off playing against a team you can barely win against and try to rape them instead of wasting high level teams time.

Stop trying to blame us for you just being bad at the game, seriously. watch demo’s and learn from them, put some effort into it. High level teams are far from elitist.

I don’t actually see any problems at all with ETF2L. I do, however, think this flaming-business is getting out of hand. As I’ve written many times before, I don’t really care, but the rest of the admins have to deal with the crap as well — deleting posts, locking threads, working overtime to remove 720(!) posts on the forums saying “GRYZOR IS A CUNT HAHA” (this was Joske/NVCs doing, by the way — remember to thank them!).

Action and consecuences, my dear Gryzor. A punishment must fit the crime, and the handling of it also. I, with many, just want to tell you to maybe make parallells to our justice system. Right now, you are both the police and the judge, and it might be easy to become drunk with power or loosened from the community, not saying that is the case at the moment. But maybe you could contemplate your actions, I could go so far to say that you might have been using the verbal equivalent of police brutality. As far as the punishment go – there are different views. However, if you opress too much, remember that there will only be new tyrants to replace the old.

All this time thrown down the drain for no apparent reason, is time that could be better spent, say, making ladders, improving the league and helping people. Reading on #etf2l, it seems former “FU GRYZOR!” people are even starting to notice this tiresome trend and realising it’s actually not that cool to copy the idiot-people anymore, hence asking for advice on how the hell they can counter it (or, we, rather).

To be honest, I can name quite a few times when you have wasted other peoples time. Needless to say, I’m probably guilty of the same crime. If you think ETF2l is going to be different than general society, I suggest you think again.

* We could bring out the BIG banhammer, meaning any more flames what so ever, will get your entire clan banned from ETF2L — permanently.

Perhaps the last one is a bit drastic, but why the hell not. All this flaming is destroying the league, making people want to quit because they do not feel their work is fun anymore and what not. This will only hurt _EVERYBODY_ in the end. You’d be stuck with.. me.. alone. Nobody would like that.

“Why the hell not.” Are you serious or for real? You dont think permanently banning a team for someone saying “go die” would destroy the league? And you telling people that they’d only have you – is that to be considered a threat or something?
I understand the ETF2l is not a democracy, but considering most of us playing come from fairly democratic nations with deep feel for justice and some disgust towards capital and/or collective punishment, I’d advise you to rethink your last option.

So for the sake for everybody, quit it — because if I “quit”, it will be because everybody else feels this project is no longer worthwhile, and when that day comes — we’re all losers.

Flamers: Think about it, and then have a big cup of STFU.
The rest: Most of us admins are really cool guys with nice attitudes and helpful manners – it’s unfortunate that most of the time you have dealings with us, it’s because something is WRONG.

To be honest, I could easily predict these problems once I saw you became admin, knowing your background behavior. Needless to say, you can be a good guy at times, but not flawless. I suggest you contemplate the meaning of “actions and consequences” and not only blame everything on flamer X, Y and Z.
Indeed, this is not a one-sided problem, but if someone doesn’t have the insight to imporve, it simply won’t.

gryzor

I see no solutions in your post, just more “do this, do that”. I also note that you are a big fan of the phrase “to be honest” — well, I got one of those as well. To be honest, you claim you “know my behaviour”, which I find most amusing, since I presume you base that on the number of text-posts I do to the forums.

I really think you need to re-evaluate your perspective towards the Internet, it sounds unhealthy to even BEGIN and compare it to a healthy, normal functioning society since that has not been true since 1989, when the only people having access to the ‘net was academics. I think I share the view with most others that people are acting VERY differently behind their screens compared to how they would act “IRL”, hence normal, sound, philosophies of structure do not apply.

This is ESPECIALLY true within communities like this. It actually DOES work in other projects I’m involved in (say, large open-source projects). But not here.

To try and psychoanalyse a bunch of text on top of that, is really strange.

I’m not really sure what message you’re trying to convey here. Are you trying to tell me ETF2L should yield to the flamers or that I personally should not engage them in the harsh manner I do? You also claim you see me “waste peoples time”. My admin-work consists of answering requests from people on IRC, writing on these forums, doing code/linux-related work and discussing issues with other admins. Anything I post is free to ignore and not read, and the rest of the work is nothing you ever see (unless you need help). Go figure. I’m not trying to belittle your views, I’m just very confused as to what end they serve.

In the end, ETF2L have lost (and are losing) people who we can’t replace due to there not being competent enough people to replace them with (or people who ARE competent enough, would never want to join this project due to all they see are the endless amount of flames). This is a huge problem and the reason I suggested the harsh methods mentioned above, clan-ban for every player in a clan who host a flamer. It’s better to lose 80 players in a mass flame-ban than 1 irreplaceable ETF2L-admin who knows the ins and outs of over millions lines of code. That way, the rest of the 5000 or so registered and active TF2 players on this site could go on playing the game they chose to spend their spare-time on with their friends, in peace, and the ETF2L-project could continue to thrive instead of having to deal with all this bullshit.

ETF2L is about having fun with your friends once or twice a week, not skill or anything else. Don’t _EVER_ make the mistake to think ETF2L thinks it needs “skilled” players, it thrives on people having a “good game”. Nothing else.

gryzor

In conclusion, I’d say “players vs. admins” is an unnecessary phenomenon, invented by a small portion of people who either feel neglected or unhappy about trivial crap like “this item is not banned” or “why is this map in and not that one” along with the “hip” flaming. This has been driven to ridiculous proportions, due to many actually expecting the 95% who actually DO behave and are nice people would put a stop to it themselves. Since this “self-moderation” has not happened for whatever reason (most likely they’re deterred from even reading the news-comments and forums any more — and I don’t blame them), obviously ETF2L will need to do SOMETHING about it. We will not let IDIOTS (yes, IDIOTS) destroy our league. This has now reached a point where enough is ENOUGH.

trams

-><-

Dunc wrote:

Should make me an admin. That’d sort everything.

If this is the solution, then +1

Waster

@Gryzor
In most posts it is always clear if it is a post with good intentions or a flame with bad intentions. The best example is joske who was spreading his shit on the forums for many months. Still the admins decided not to ban him for a long time. Why not 1 flame is a warning, another flame is a forum ban? And furthermore delete flame posts from the forum. In this way topics doesnt need to be closed from innocent posters with good intentions, because of a stupid flamer.

I see no solutions in your post, just more “do this, do that”. I also note that you are a big fan of the phrase “to be honest” — well, I got one of those as well. To be honest, you claim you “know my behaviour”, which I find most amusing, since I presume you base that on the number of text-posts I do to the forums.

I do not base them on text-post, however they add to it. Drawing conclusions is fancy, back to the drawing board.

I really think you need to re-evaluate your perspective towards the Internet, it sounds unhealthy to even BEGIN and compare it to a healthy, normal functioning society since that has not been true since 1989, when the only people having access to the ‘net was academics. I think I share the view with most others that people are acting VERY differently behind their screens compared to how they would act “IRL”, hence normal, sound, philosophies of structure do not apply.
This is ESPECIALLY true within communities like this. It actually DOES work in other projects I’m involved in (say, large open-source projects). But not here.

So you mean you are a perfect example of a well functioning community – the academics? Flinging fancy degrees have little to do with how you function with people.
It is true that people behave differently behind a computer screen, but your remedy is what? Collective punishment? If you truly belive that internet, and especially ETF2L has worse problems than the real world is very misguided.

I’m not really sure what message you’re trying to convey here. Are you trying to tell me ETF2L should yield to the flamers or that I personally should not engage them in the harsh manner I do? You also claim you see me “waste peoples time”. My admin-work consists of answering requests from people on IRC, writing on these forums, doing code/linux-related work and discussing issues with other admins. Anything I post is free to ignore and not read, and the rest of the work is nothing you ever see (unless you need help). Go figure. I’m not trying to belittle your views, I’m just very confused as to what end they serve.

What I’m trying to say is something that seems to be lost to many indiviuals in communities or in society in general – actions have consequences. I’m not saying flaming people are good, which you seem to be the way you are trying to twist my post into. Flaming is bad, but so is much else. Every person has an individual limit.
But if you start telling me that you should permanently ban a flamers team, you are on thin ice.

In the end, ETF2L have lost (and are losing) people who we can’t replace due to there not being competent enough people to replace them with (or people who ARE competent enough, would never want to join this project due to all they see are the endless amount of flames). This is a huge problem and the reason I suggested the harsh methods mentioned above, clan-ban for every player in a clan who host a flamer. It’s better to lose 80 players in a mass flame-ban than 1 irreplaceable ETF2L-admin who knows the ins and outs of over millions lines of code. That way, the rest of the 5000 or so registered and active TF2 players on this site could go on playing the game they chose to spend their spare-time on with their friends, in peace, and the ETF2L-project could continue to thrive instead of having to deal with all this bullshit.

Ah, yes, the ever lush and lasting “greater good”. Now we’re speaking morals here, and you are saying that an action is determined by its contribution to overall utility. Many times, it’s not that simple, since one person differs from another.
Moreso, who should be the one deciding what the “greater good” is, I suspect you are up for the part?
And noone is irreplaceble, in that case, it would be worse loosing one admin over the entire community.

It is sad that flaming is so bad and there is a problem recruiting admins, but is flaming an inherent behaviour of the human race – save for few “academics”, or merely some kind of valve for letting out steam, even though the recieving part is rarely pleased by it? A flame post can be both hostile and insulting, but so can regular posts. It is a fine line. What I’m trying to say that maybe if you look at youre actions, maybe there is a hint why there are these consequences?

ETF2L is about having fun with your friends once or twice a week, not skill or anything else. Don’t _EVER_ make the mistake to think ETF2L thinks it needs “skilled” players, it thrives on people having a “good game”. Nothing else.

When have I ever said or implied that? And on the other hand, you have nothing to say on how I should think or how I should feel. If I happen to think that ETF2L needs “skilled” players, you don’t have anything to say or do about it.
This happens not to be my standpoint anyway.

PS.
Also, regarding coding, why not start a etf2l paypal account that accept donations?
A bit could go to paying some coders?
I’d be glad to contribute a sum for the improvement of our site and server!

And is there a possibility to appoint forum admins that can clean up the threads, so our coders and other admins can do what they are supposed to do? It seems like a waste of time, when you, in your all open-source wisdom, academic spirit etc, are going around locking threads, when this can simply be achieved by lesser, more stupid people that are replaceble?

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 5 Next »