Forum

Competitive Map - Design Theory [Looking For Feedback]

Created 27th May 2009 @ 00:52

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

ShoX

Sir
dp.

I’d like to see a map that rewards brave use of the Uber when attacking from CP1 to CP2 (i.e. when you’re defending the last point).

No idea how you’d do it mind :)

klu

-[MG]-
MG//

Might install Hammer later to have a go at a 5point Gpit, its been a while since I mapped though :P

Jones

Sorry to divert off your topic. The idea of C – A – B – A – C gravelpit. There is no wonder this map fails. It would be about 3x as big as any other tf2 map.

Imo, the only way a developer could make this work, and meet all players criteria – high fps but visually pleasing – would be to scrap point A. This would drastically reduce the size of the map. I would strongly suggest:

B – “2” – C – “4” – B

“2” and “4” would be editted/improved/adapted versions of the area between C and B, to include a more appropriate CP. These should be indoors, close quarters and similar to Granary 2/4 for balance.

The reason I think C SHOULDN’T be points 1/5, is because it would be too easy to defend from one general direction (which 5 point maps tend to have). Having it in the middle is perfect for symmetrical reasons, but would also provide some interesting tactical battles for controlling the middle.

A map as large as C – A – B – A – C would be to open, to large and to easy for snipers. There needs to be a significant close quarter area where heavy classes are actually required. I’m not saying snipers shouldn’t be important on this map. But they shouldn’t be the strongest class for every point.

Jones

I suggested A should be scrapped because it is very large, very open and pretty dull to spectate

Jones

http://picasaweb.google.com/aj5865/TF2#5341185058429552066

this is a quick diagram of what I’m trying to explain

klu

-[MG]-
MG//

Some good points there Jones, I’ll do up a diagram when I get home.

CJ

papyrus

Time yourself running through my layout. Since it’s S-shaped the travel time between points is, as far as i can remember, comparable to granary. Think of it like Badlands. That has 5 large rooms rather than Granary’s 7, but because it’s S shaped you can skip point two entirely.

Nik

DAKKA
DAKKA

speak to howdeh and pathy they were pretty sick at ns sure they could help u in some way

howdeh

Perilous
WUL

^^ lol mini
by sick you mean underrated ;) some may disagree! :PPP
+ me and pathy have no knowledge of mapping unfortunately.

Randdalf

(0v0)

With the one the guy made, make sure to compile it with -final and -staticproplighting.

These are the settings that Valve use and will remove the ugly shadows that are apparent in your map.

You can see a full tutorial on how to setup a final compile here: http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=2994

Don’t do that shizzle with the security fence, it’s the compile settings you’re interested in.

ket-

I like Jones’ ideas.

Having C midpoint would make it pretty interesting indeed, plus the way it’s made already provides an easy display for a “symetric” B link. The fact that the cp is that high makes it potentially really rewarding to actually jump on it since you get a high positionning, while it also makes you vulnerable due to how small the cp is, pretty much like badlands spire – which, for me, often gives quite good battles with scouts being able to exploit their movement nicely.

B-2-C-4-B sounds good, although i had imagined more like 1-B-C-B-5 (the corridor from A to C could have stairs linking each side to the tunnel between A & B, therefore having 3 ways to B from C, don’t know if that would be good, but i think having “only” the house would make it too easy to defend). Cp3 respawn should be around B, lets say in front of the entrance to the little house that links B to C on either side, not too close to make it impossible to cap middle back, but not too far either to actually reward capping it.

Either way, sounds like a really good idea indeed, hope someone can make that happen.

klu

-[MG]-
MG//

Had a quick mess around in Hammer at the weekend and modified C point so thats its the same from both sides, because IMO it should be symmetrical like all other 5point CP maps. Anyway, it looked pretty sick, I think it would provide some great battles.

Jones

If anyone could make this map work, I’m sure it will be popularly tested in the platest pickup channel

ket-

damn it i wish i knew how to map :[

Buck

Im tempted of trying to make a dev textured prototype of 5 point gravel pit but i wouldnt be able to detail it or anything, im not that good :/

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »