Forum

Newcomer Guides

Created 7th May 2015 @ 12:33

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

Bank

Rev.
Syn

Is there a way to put the newcomer guides on the front page or something? I feel all the new guys coming from Muselk’s video don’t really understand what’s going on with recruitment or the tier system. Even if there was an introductory “How to use ETF2L” after you sign up to the site, it would alleviate a lot of confusion and clutter, especially in the recruitment forums. Just a suggestion!

ducky

http://i.imgur.com/eEFJvJ9.png

?

Having a “Help” tab on the top constantly should be pretty obvious tbh

Herr_P

IKEA

“Remember that even now, after four years, 6v6 is still far from being “figured out”.”

Should maybe be updated? :D

ducky

Quoted from Herr_P

“Remember that even now, after four years, 6v6 is still far from being “figured out”.”

Should maybe be updated? :D

If europeans “figured out” 6v6 they would’ve won i52 ;P

Hallow

P.O.P

the “four years” should be updated not the rest

ducky

Quoted from Hallow

the “four years” should be updated not the rest

Done.

AB

There’s no reason not to put a direct link to the guide clearly on the homepage. There’s a big influx of new people coming in who won’t be able to navigate the site as you would expect them to and it just sounds like you’re too proud of your site design to want to change it, even if for just a ittle bit.

The guide also has no mention of how to make a rec post.

Last edited by AB,

ducky

Quoted from AB

There’s no reason not to put a direct link to the guide clearly on the homepage. There’s a big influx of new people coming in who won’t be able to navigate the site as you would expect them to and it just sounds like you’re too proud of your site design to want to change, even if for just a ittle bit.

I seriously hope you’re trolling…How is a tab that is constantly on the top of the page, for every single page, not clear enough?

AB

Put yourself in the shoes of someone visiting the site for the first time, they’ve heard of ‘recruitment posts’ from somewhere. They see a recruitment tab, click on it and type a comment in someone elses post because it seems the most obvious route to take.

Why would they want to click on help when they think they’ve already figured it out? I’ve talked to a couple of people who’ve done so and there are plenty of other new people who post comments that they’re lft in someone elses lft thread that might say the same.

Even if you can’t open your mind and imagine a new persons perspective, surely the fact that the ‘help’ tab isn’t working, otherwise you woudn’t get such a significant amount of inappropriate comments, means you should make the guide more accessible.

Last edited by AB,

ducky

Quoted from AB

I’ve talked to a couple of people who’ve done so and there are plenty of other new people who post comments that they’re lft in someone elses lft thread that might say the same.

I’ve had this discussion before, in here to be exact:

http://etf2l.org/forum/feedback/topic-31509/page-1/#post-533801

A total of one case was presented where the players in question couldn’t even be bothered to read before posting, let alone use common sense.
That’s the main problem.

I can relate to people who visit ETF2L for the first time, I recall my first visit like it was yesterday: Read the guides, ask a few questions on the forum, done.

What I can’t do is put myself in the shoes of someone who isn’t even trying to understand the platform that they’re using, expects everything to be handed to them and doesn’t bother asking in case they can’t process the information that’s made available by us.

We have a lot of dedicated admins on IRC (the support page) and even more newbie friendly users who will answer almost every question on the forums aswell.
People just need to put in a minimal amount of effort and ask.

Hank

FAINT

^ ++

AB

That’s all fine but I don’t see why you wouldn’t just put a clear, direct link to the guide on the front page and save both the admins and the users time.

The ideal scenario you present is that a newbie comes to the site, doesn’t know what to do and navigates through and hopefully finds what he’s looking for and if he hasn’t, he then looks to the support tab and maybe figures out how to use irc or posts a question on the forum.

Or you could skip all of that and present the guide immediately on the front page, that provides all the information they need. It’s not spoon feeding, if anything the newbie is being more resourceful this way as he instantly has what info he needs and can figure it out for himself rather than ask someone to hold their hands as they work through the site.

I can appreciate that there will always be people who don’t want to read the whole guide anyway and will rather have someone else do the work for them, but surely having a detailed guide clearly available to them can’t be a bad thing.

Quoted from AB

That’s all fine but I don’t see why you wouldn’t just put a clear, direct link to the guide on the front page and save both the admins and the users time.

Ok sure! Where should that be without the site getting more cluttered? I’ll gladly add them.

Quoted from AB

The ideal scenario you present is that a newbie comes to the site, doesn’t know what to do and navigates through and hopefully finds what he’s looking for and if he hasn’t, he then looks to the support tab and maybe figures out how to use irc or posts a question on the forum.

True

Quoted from AB

Or you could skip all of that and present the guide immediately on the front page, that provides all the information they need. It’s not spoon feeding, if anything the newbie is being more resourceful this way as he instantly has what info he needs and can figure it out for himself rather than ask someone to hold their hands as they work through the site.

What.

You realise we’re working with a limited space?

AB

‘where?’ is not for me to figure out. I’m only arguing that there is a need for it.

ducky

I assume you’re referring to the 6v6 guide?

Not every new player wants to play 6s, some might have questions regarding highlander, or on basic stuff like how to create an account or register a team, or how the swiss system works etc… all of which are answered in various guides and FAQs listed in the “Help” tab.

So logically we’d have to link the “Help” tab on the front page, which already is the case.
In fact it’s in the top bar of every single page on the ETF2L site, accessing it through the front-page is as easy as moving your mouse ~7cm to the right and pressing M1:

http://i.imgur.com/eEFJvJ9.png

Now I agree that the part where the recruitment section is explained is missing on both gamemode guides and the FAQ.

We should probably add that since it’s not common intuition to guess that you’re supposed to use the WordPress backend to create a rec-post for yourself.

But the visibility of the guides/help tab itself is more than sufficient, no need to change that.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »