Forum

I46 - 24th - 27th August - The Highlander Thread!

Created 9th May 2012 @ 12:13

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

Hey Guys

Basically we tried out Highlander at i45 which everyone seemed to enjoy so we will make a proper tournament out of it! It will start after the group stages of the 6v6 tournament finish, that way the most amount of people can play it in as possible.

This thread is to help you discuss how we should set this tourny up – Just copy ETF2l rules? Are there maps which yoú would or wouldn’t like to see?

Should highlander matches start every hour on the hour, or is it better to allow 1:30 hours per game?

Please distribute this info to any highlander sources you can to get some proper interest and decent teams signed up :].

At the moment its a fun tournament but we’re working on prizes (not plastic medals or a garden gnome like i45 :D)

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

Upvote if you can plx :] http://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/telfm/i46_24th_27th_august_first_ever_highlander_lan/

Black_Bob

[DA]

That poor gnome, he didnt find a happy home :(

Also 9m prem at tc_hydro!

Cant wait for the highlander tourney :D

Jazz

ScS|
(Q)<

Quoted from Tapley ❤

Hey Guys

Basically we tried out Highlander at i45 which everyone seemed to enjoy so we will make a proper tournament out of it! It will start after the group stages of the 6v6 tournament finish, that way the most amount of people can play it in as possible.

This thread is to help you discuss how we should set this tourny up – Just copy ETF2l rules? Are there maps which yoú would or wouldn’t like to see?

Should highlander matches start every hour on the hour, or is it better to allow 1:30 hours per game?

Please distribute this info to any highlander sources you can to get some proper interest and decent teams signed up :].

At the moment its a fun tournament but we’re working on prizes (not plastic medals or a garden gnome like i45 :D)

Would be nice to see this happen first off. Would be a big step for the highlander community.

The time limits really depends on the map pool and rules. BO3 pl maps could run on for a long time.
Talking of maps as always badwater and probably upward are gonna be there and it doesn’t matter what peps say. So I would like to see croissant and maybe lakeside/viaduct pro as well. Would be nice just have a mix of map types.

ETF2L rules seem okay. Maybe wanna get an item test group together to try out items and then maybe revisit your item bans but bar that I think there fine.

Hope this works out :D

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

Yeah think i’ll bend Hildreth et al’s ear to find out the specifics. We’re looking to ban as little items as possible to be the opposite of 6v6. But im unsure what the current unlock standard is for HL and if it varys between continents (like 6v6).

As from a map perspective it would be good to do a mixture of large CP maps PL maps and Koth viaduct Pro is always fun. But will need to work out how long BO3 PL maps take maximum time limit wise, or if we play bo1.

Scatterbrain

SpA|com

it’s worth thinking about how it’ll be played out – single elimination, double elimination, group stages, etc. i dunno how the current tournament works, and i know that the general impression is often that highlander takes ages to play and there’ll be all sorts of time constraints (honestly, the games themselves don’t take much longer than 6s, and hopefully the fact that we’re at LAN solves the problem of getting 18 players together at the same time) but i know that if i came down with a team that intended to play highlander and we were out of the tournament after losing a single game i’d be pretty disappointed :(

i get that other losing teams might be up for more games anyway, but it’d still kinda suck. in the end it’ll depend on how many teams sign up, but i think that having a group stage of 3-4 teams (maybe more?) per group would be a good start.

the discussion on maps/unlocks sounds like it’s going in a good direction so far. with the pyro update on the unlock rules might need some adjustment, but that’s a bridge that can be crossed when we come to it.

looking forward to this, hopefully i can make it <3

Last edited by Scatterbrain,

Nymthae

-9w-
-9m-

Could this be run over the weekend somehow? As in, rather than saying “5pm Sunday start”…

Close signups Friday evening and just ask for groups to be done by X on Sunday (like 2pm or something? – judge this around the finals really, hopefully we can be a bit later on/prime time for i46) and just be flexible about it. I can see this might be a problem if there’s a significant mix of players (from diff 6v6 teams) in highlander teams though. Variable with how far teams get in 6v6 as well. It’s largely a shite idea when I think about it…

By Sunday people always seem quite half-hearted about the fun tournaments, and to get a reasonable amount of games in for this they will need to be started a bit earlier.

What I think i’d prefer as format is just doing a round-robin. Roughly seed teams if possible into different groups so you actually get good games. I always feel hugely sorry when the ‘fun’ tournament games end up being rolls because a lot of them are community teams etc. That might make it a bit more enjoyable for a Sunday.

I realise seedings are hard to judge, afterall we did beat infs on hydro :D

Last edited by Nymthae,

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

We’re currently deciding upon weapon bans for ETF2L HL nations cup, that would probably be the best tournament to look at unlocks + maps.

dunc

infs
dp.

Quoted from Nymthae

I realise seedings are hard to judge, afterall we did beat infs on hydro :D

Interesting that, considering we drew and went to a second map… Oh, wait, don’t tell me – “the map bugged”. OK m8!

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

We’ll most likely do group stages and then a single elim knockout with 8 teams or double eilm with 4 teams depending on how big the groups are and how much time we have.

And Nym as in my top post we’ll do Highlander after the group stages of 6v6 (so essentially Saturday early afternoon it’ll start and the more 6v6érs can play also in teams). I’m currently seeing if we can get any stage time for highlander, but it may not be possible.

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

I was thinking for highlander as well as the physical prizes yet to be confirmed for the tournament, if everyone from each team entering put £1 (thats £9 a team) into a prize pool be interesting? Wouldn’t cost much, and any team not putting in the prize money wouldn’t win anything if they won the tournament.

All the pro teams would still be in the main tournament so its really anyones money, that way you dont lose much and those top 1 2 or 3 teams get a nice beer fund at the end?

Last edited by Tapley ❤,

Trent

‹Con›

That’d be nice, Tapley. With the effort of getting to i46 I think everyone can spare a pound.

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

There are also some special, actually awesome prizes being donated to Highlander which i can reveal shortly from a certain Ruskeydoo.

Trent

‹Con›

In-game items?

Buttnose

I wonder if the rivalry/attendence in highlander can eventually get strong enough to warrant its own full prize pool. Would love to see summer i-series big for 6v6 and winter for highlander.

Cheers tapley for putting the LAN in Highlander!

Last edited by Buttnose,

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »