Forum

Best Headset For Around £50

Created 25th October 2009 @ 19:43

Add A Reply Pages: 1

fJack

k^m

Any thoughts? I’m currently looking at the SS 5hv2, but I’ve heard that the build quality is variable and the performance with music is less than stellar.

I’m looking for the best headset in terms of build and sound quality for around £50 (might go slightly higher if it’s worth it). Feedback from people who’ve owned their’s for 6 months or more would be appreciated. I admittedly know very little about sound and technology, but for me music is more important than gaming. A mic would be preferable.

Thanks for your time.

jUICY

TF2 is ...

Steelseries siberia, had 5hv2 but i prefer this, never the less the 5hv2 is amazing too, just i found the siberia more comfy :)

SfynX

T2P

medusa 5.1 progamer

Plantronics headsets are decent for a smaller budget.

Waebi

‹Con›

the Siberia v2 should be there somewhere, and seeing that it’s basically the v1 with an added mic to the right side, it should be nice.

tragett

SS 3H

eoN^

the Siberia v2 should be there somewhere, and seeing that it’s basically the v1 with an added mic to the right side, it should be nice.

And if you share your computing area with anyone in your family it has better sound blocking out etc so thats a real plus.

AlphaPulsar

Gaming headsets all have their flaws. SS 5H(incl. V2) has poor bass and is quite bad for music. Medusa series have bad rear bass, inaccurate positioning and they’re even worse for music. I haven’t read about the Siberia headsets, so I won’t comment on them.

Avoid surround sound headsets at all costs. Two sound sources is plenty. I don’t think that any gaming headset will be good, especiallys for music.

I’m going to order an ATH-AD700. Yes, they’re expensive, but the sheer number of positive comments about using them for gaming on head-fi.org suggest that they will be worth it.

If you search head-fi.org or another headphone/audiophile forum for ‘gaming’ or ‘soundstage’ (you want a wide one for gaming), you’ll be hard-pressed to find a thread without a post that praises the AD700s. They’re also great for music (with a slightly low bass, but most cheap headphones over-emphasise that anyway.) Many head-fi’ers compare them to Sennheiser HD555s and usually the AD700s are deemed better.

To see why I think the AD700s will be so amazing, look here and then compare the prices of the AD700s to everything else.

I think you should consider whether or not it’s worth waiting until you have enough money for some better headphones and either a desk stand mic (don’t get a USB one though) or a clip-on mic. Zalman supposedly do a good clip-on which is often recommended alongside a decent pair of headphones.

d2m

vertex »
derptex9

Fucks sake fJack. You said you’d ordered some last week.

You’re off the team :(

Thalien

;?
¤_¤

We had a chat with the lads fJack, and yeah, you’re off the team.

Blame the headset.

Last edited by Thalien,

ambra

Steelseries siberia, had 5hv2 but i prefer this, never the less the 5hv2 is amazing too, just i found the siberia more comfy :)

this
i have 5hv2 from a while and even if I had a little trouble setting it up PERFECTLY I’m now totally fine… its a superior headset for game perception and any kind of multimedia if you toy properly with the options.

they come out with an external usb soundcard and a dedicated driver but I couldnt get the software working on windows 7 ultimate (cpu and memory overflowing instantly when starting it up) so I simply attached the headphones directly to the motherboard and its now totally fine

fJack

k^m

Gaming headsets all have their flaws. SS 5H(incl. V2) has poor bass and is quite bad for music. Medusa series have bad rear bass, inaccurate positioning and they’re even worse for music. I haven’t read about the Siberia headsets, so I won’t comment on them.

Avoid surround sound headsets at all costs. Two sound sources is plenty. I don’t think that any gaming headset will be good, especiallys for music.

I’m going to order an ATH-AD700. Yes, they’re expensive, but the sheer number of positive comments about using them for gaming on head-fi.org suggest that they will be worth it.

If you search head-fi.org or another headphone/audiophile forum for ‘gaming’ or ‘soundstage’ (you want a wide one for gaming), you’ll be hard-pressed to find a thread without a post that praises the AD700s. They’re also great for music (with a slightly low bass, but most cheap headphones over-emphasise that anyway.) Many head-fi’ers compare them to Sennheiser HD555s and usually the AD700s are deemed better.

To see why I think the AD700s will be so amazing, look here and then compare the prices of the AD700s to everything else.

I think you should consider whether or not it’s worth waiting until you have enough money for some better headphones and either a desk stand mic (don’t get a USB one though) or a clip-on mic. Zalman supposedly do a good clip-on which is often recommended alongside a decent pair of headphones.

Thanks for the indepth response and leading me to that site. I’ve read a few guides and reviews and I’m nearly at a decision.

SfynX

T2P

Go Pro, Go Medusa!

Sonny Black

(Legend)
SUAVE

medusa 5.1 progamer

+5.1
Good surroundsound for gaming
Good sound for music
Comfortable
Mic