Forum

The problem with TF2 and how it could be solved

Created 10th December 2012 @ 17:03

Locked Pages: 1 2 Next »

FG.Macisum

We have all come to be familiarized with TF2′s 6v6 format and its intricacies, and it was decided upon after quite a bit of community testing. However, is this ideal?
The main advantage of 6v6 is that it allows for a great depth of teamplay while also retaining some significance to individual abilities (and those not being overshadowed by other variables, such as spam and numbers) and it plays at a good pace.
However, when most people discuss TF2′s format or propose changes, it is nearly almost always 7v7, 8v8 or 9v9 highlander. Indeed, this only worsens the problems of 6v6, and this is why I think it could be time for further experimentation in the direction of 5v5.

Why 5v5? Well, the reason being that individual abilities shine further, allowing for more clutch moments that spectators love and that can look impressive to potential sponsors. Additionally it is far more convenient, as the ease of finding a 5th player is greater than finding a 6th (and particularly when you bear in mind that starting from the 1st player to the nth player, each subsequent player will have to fit in with the ones before him). Then there is a matter of logistics and sponsorship, and the simple furthering of TF2 competitively. It would be cheaper for sponsors to provide LAN support for 5 players
On top of this, any prize pool will only be split over 5 players, and thus individual prizes will automatically increase. And as such, it might aid in furthering TF2 competitively for future LANs, one-night cups and other prize events.

And finally, one of the greatest strengths of 5v5 is that there will be a greater abundance of teams. For every 5th team we have today, there could be a new team. It would further team diversity more, and we might be able to have more top teams that are closer to 1st place, and I think this is one of the main advantages of going 5v5.

rytis

PrettyGay

this isnt the problem lol

FG.Macisum

Quoted from rytis

Who are you to judge?

I am merely basing this of my experience of 6v6, while you are just fit to sit there and whine about any alternative sugestions.

wrock

vier

Quoted from rytis

Starkie

ulti?
sniper

But then everyone would be forced to change how they play and tf2 has been played 6v6 for so long such a drastic change would be too much
What would happen (most likely) is that the top teams would either move to a different league or just stop playing tf2 which would hardly help the game

T0m

(ETF2L Donator)

Quoted from rytis

FG.Macisum

Quoted from T0m

[…]

Prove it? Otherwise sit down and be quiet :)

Henghast

open
bobs

You’re suggesting an complete overhaul to the system upon the claim that 6v6 is somehow unwieldy and not as fit for purpose as 5v5. Then demanding that others prove that there is no issue with the current 6v6 set up which has been tried and tested for a number of years. I’d like to assume you’re trolling or just stirring up crap.

However there’s no real issue with 6v6 as a set up. It’s more than other popular team games by a single player but it dosn’t make it broken or wrong or even inferior. Getting 5 is easier than getting 6 sure but if you’re going to follow that logic to it’s conclusion we may as well just be playing TF2duels and MGE hero all night long. Anyone with an ounce of sense knows that such scenes only show a small fraction of the true skill set required in a 6v6 game.

There is no reason to change something that isn’t broken.

h1

:3
BM

Quoted from FG.Macisum

We have all come to be familiarized with TF2′s 6v6 format and its intricacies, and it was decided upon after quite a bit of community testing. However, is this ideal?
The main advantage of 6v6 is that it allows for a great depth of teamplay while also retaining some significance to individual abilities (and those not being overshadowed by other variables, such as spam and numbers) and it plays at a good pace.
However, when most people discuss TF2′s format or propose changes, it is nearly almost always 7v7, 8v8 or 9v9 highlander. Indeed, this only worsens the problems of 6v6, and this is why I think it could be time for further experimentation in the direction of 5v5.

Why 5v5? Well, the reason being that individual abilities shine further, allowing for more clutch moments that spectators love and that can look impressive to potential sponsors. Additionally it is far more convenient, as the ease of finding a 5th player is greater than finding a 6th (and particularly when you bear in mind that starting from the 1st player to the nth player, each subsequent player will have to fit in with the ones before him). Then there is a matter of logistics and sponsorship, and the simple furthering of TF2 competitively. It would be cheaper for sponsors to provide LAN support for 5 players
On top of this, any prize pool will only be split over 5 players, and thus individual prizes will automatically increase. And as such, it might aid in furthering TF2 competitively for future LANs, one-night cups and other prize events.

And finally, one of the greatest strengths of 5v5 is that there will be a greater abundance of teams. For every 5th team we have today, there could be a new team. It would further team diversity more, and we might be able to have more top teams that are closer to 1st place, and I think this is one of the main advantages of going 5v5.

registered 25mins ago to give advice on another system, please be quiet.

Shifty

I genuinely think it’s not such a bad idea.
The reason for why people complain about unlocks and rule changes lies withing the the fact that the game becomes “boring” / repetitive. Unlocks are one way to get some fresh air into the game but they usually lessen the individual skill thats required while changing to a 5v5 setup might bring in the same fresh feeling but without reducing the required skill and instead increasing it. On the other hand i also have to agree with stark, i doubt many of the top teams would put up with any more than the change which a new unlock rule brings with it.

Shifty

also h1, do your homework before you judge on someone.
macisum has been playing at the highest level before you even registered on etf2l (see broder)

FG.Macisum

Quoted from Shifty

I genuinely think it’s not such a bad idea.
while changing to a 5v5 setup might bring in the same fresh feeling but without reducing the required skill and instead increasing it.

Are you trying to imply having less and less people increases the skill?

I think I kind of agree less players = rise in skill, just like how 32 pubs are easy compared to 12 slot or 15 slot servers.

Sounds kind of silly but thats probably why 2v2 and 1v1 formats in other games are so popular and technically more skillful.

C

cp_

I do think there is something to the idea. But I think you as a person is a weirdo and should talk more nice to people! Just because they disagree with your idea does not give you the right to say they are utterly wrong and should not say what they think.

I think that is showing that you are deeply disrespecting and it is not showcasing your case in the right manner.

The reason for people not wanting to go 5vs5, is not due to it being a bad idea it just to huge of a change. It is such a huge change that TF2 it self whould have to do some kind of features in order for it to work. Plus people who are true to the traditionally 6vs6 whould be deeply against this and would probably leave the scene as Stark said.

Summaray: good idea, wrong place to put it… + Do not be so rude to people just because they have a diffrent opinion than yours!

crouton

LEGO

Quoted from Shifty

also h1, do your homework before you judge on someone.
macisum has been playing at the highest level before you even registered on etf2l (see broder)

It’s obviously a fake account.

Shifty

i just got baited hard :D

Locked Pages: 1 2 Next »