Forum

My opinion on how the European scene could go forward

Created 27th August 2012 @ 05:17

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 ... 17 Next »

Quoted from Trane

[…]

He did say that, and it does make sense if you follow the line of thought that:

More unlocks = more possible playstyles = more flexibility/adaptability to what’s going on.

The US teams never got rattled by anything that the EU teams tried.

Fairly certain that’s more a different in attitude, we saw more offclassing and tactics we’ve not seen before @ EU per match at lan than we see per season at etf2l – despite it being vanilla.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from lolage

[…]

Despite how much time you put into MGE/anaysis videos you may still not get noticed. If your starting to rape your div 3/4 mixes its pretty unlikely that someone from prem/div1 is going to notice you.

Although I think DM/MGE/demo anaysis videos are a good way to improve, actually playing first hand with people better than yourself, putting you in the deep end will help the player out a lot especially if they are playing mge/watching anaysis videos too.

Destroy pixel pugs then? That’s how you got in the old pug2: you did well in pug1 and just get invited.

Link!

.:ne:.

Quoted from Koeitje

[…]

Destroy pixel pugs then? That’s how you got in the old pug2: you did well in pug1 and just get invited.

how can anyone that plays in pu2 notice you when they don’t play in pixelpickup?

bscared

From an American point of view, I don’t think unlocks caused EU teams to lose. I think unlocks allowed Americans to be more aggressive and more sporadic, but I hardly think that everyone should be claiming that EU NEEDS unlocks to beat American teams. I think in America the metagame and style of play has changed because of our unlocks; we have soldiers who are used to jumping everywhere and being more forward and aggressive because if they are not, they lose out on possible early demo/medic picks. This was partially triggered by the emergence of gunboats, the equalizer, etc, but if EU teams actually worked at adapting a newer style of play, they could do it while still using a vanilla ruleset, so it is hardly a matter of ‘me have unlocks you don’t’.

Another thing is that Americans have a wider variety of maps that they have played. In recent seasons, we have expanded the map pool to include standin, Warmfront, cp_asheville, and process, again, this builds versatility, especially with unique (yet awful) maps like standin. Long story short, I feel like the NA scene has been more innovative in their strategy and gameplan, while the EU’s game plan has been the same for the past couple of years.

lolage

TSPAG

Quoted from Koeitje

[…]

Well this is the point of this thread… PixelPug isn’t exactly very actve and I propose VanillaTF2 make a pickup bot with integration with themselves and ETF2L.

DarkSlayer

Quoted from lolage

Hi, just a random shitters opinion-

Having the pickups means that the lower players get the opportunity to play with some of the higher skilled players which pushes them a lot more than they would playing in their div 3/4/5 games. I’ve played a couple of games on PUG NA and noticed how many of the top players are there playing with the lower skilled guys and not really moaning/raging. I understand that this may be frustrating for some of the top players, but they may have to just take charge and take into consideration that the other players will not have the same aim/game sense as themselves.

After VanillaTV this weekend doing so well with the coverage, and basically showing that it is the home hub of euro tf2 would it not be a good idea to have a VanillaPickup instead of having multiplay pickup1, pixelpickup etc. These pickup channels have never really had any proper advertising/integration with the main etf2l or vanilaltf2 website. This could perhaps be integrated into the sidebars of etf2l and vanillatf2 similar to how the streams are. (I personally am watching a lot more streams just because I can see straight away who’s streaming on the homepage of etf2l/vanillatf2) This could really help the pickups stay active which has been a problem in the past.

agree!!!

Trane

Quoted from Buffalo Bill

[…]

Fairly certain that’s more a different in attitude, we saw more offclassing and tactics we’ve not seen before @ EU per match at lan than we see per season at etf2l – despite it being vanilla.

It was a generalisation just referring to weapons on my part, I concede.

I just think the Americans are ready for whatever comes their way, in playstyle/weapons/classes/mid-strats/map choice etc. They never seemed really phased, held spire when any EU team would have given it up, pushed out from last without a demo man, pushed without uber, mixing it up in general (pun intended)

Don’t get me wrong, it didn’t always work, but it did seem like a case of ‘he who dares wins’.

Last edited by Trane,

Hallow

P.O.P

I’m not actually that good at this game, but it seemed to me that some of the times the americans commited, when europeans wouldn’t, they maybe overcommited a bit. I think that with a bit of demo watching and practising certain things, teams can counter this, and it then not working. It’s just what I saw though, I’m probably completely wrong and will be hated on, but yeah.

DarkSlayer

Quoted from bscared

From an American point of view, I don’t think unlocks caused EU teams to lose. I think unlocks allowed Americans to be more aggressive and more sporadic, but I hardly think that everyone should be claiming that EU NEEDS unlocks to beat American teams. I think in America the metagame and style of play has changed because of our unlocks; we have soldiers who are used to jumping everywhere and being more forward and aggressive because if they are not, they lose out on possible early demo/medic picks. This was partially triggered by the emergence of gunboats, the equalizer, etc, but if EU teams actually worked at adapting a newer style of play, they could do it while still using a vanilla ruleset, so it is hardly a matter of ‘me have unlocks you don’t’.

Another thing is that Americans have a wider variety of maps that they have played. In recent seasons, we have expanded the map pool to include standin, Warmfront, cp_asheville, and process, again, this builds versatility, especially with unique (yet awful) maps like standin. Long story short, I feel like the NA scene has been more innovative in their strategy and gameplan, while the EU’s game plan has been the same for the past couple of years.

agreed- just look at s13 map pool- all these great custom maps of the last 6 months to a year and yet we are still playing the same old maps

Rokstanski

lol eurupp
your soldiers playing mge PASSIVE style
pathetic

Regen

nf.
9F

Quoted from Rokstanski

lol eurupp
your soldiers playing mge PASSIVE style
pathetic

Yea good contribution bro.

Anyhow, i personally feel like unlocks are a thing that should not be changed, Rules are a thing to definately look into (Golden cap rules etc..) And Maps aswell, we need to get rid of some of the old same maps and try something new, for everyone.

Last edited by Regen,

jabu

There are 2 things that made the pug.nahl bot go from 1 pug a week to 10+ pugs everyday.

1) Admin support > people who were not playing seriously were instantly dealt with. it’s okay to have fun but it’s not okay to ruin a pug for everyone else. if people had thoughts on pug then admins would take those thoughts into consideration.

2) Promotion > admins tried to get a pug started every night. when pugs are played then people stay. when your friends play then you stay. steam pug group was spammed constantly. tf2lobby / reddit was spammed (okay this one was a questionable move on my part)

winning formula

Squirry

nNT ≠

2) Promotion > admins tried to get a pug started every night. when pugs are played then people stay. when your friends play then you stay. steam pug group was spammed constantly. tf2lobby / reddit was spammed (okay this one was a questionable move on my part)

We could do that with the pixelpickup group to keep it alive. That’s why newbie mixes keep alive, and Pixelpickups are way dead.

Dear Sir/Madam,

In my opinion, I think the issue is that some of the players don’t really consider what is going on. I mean when you look at the top of prem and div 6, what do you see? Exactly. I think to resolve this issue and to move forward to an enlightened future we must look at ourselves and correct the mistake. Also, the unlocks are a never ending issue and I think we must perhaps find a compromise.

Yours faithfully,

Mr. Sheebzilla

p.s.

http://www.seanshibe.com

CU @ i47

Daleth

ti.
[PG]

Quoted from Sheebay

Dear Sir/Madam,

In my opinion, I think the issue is that some of the players don’t really consider what is going on. I mean when you look at the top of prem and div 6, what do you see? Exactly. I think to resolve this issue and to move forward to an enlightened future we must look at ourselves and correct the mistake. Also, the unlocks are a never ending issue and I think we must perhaps find a compromise.

Yours faithfully,

Mr. Sheebzilla

p.s.

http://www.seanshibe.com

CU @ i47

Agree 100%

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 ... 17 Next »