Forum

Finding a team?

Created 25th April 2011 @ 23:52

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 5 Next »

Spelling

?

first off, i’m pretty much new to etf2l so i apologise if i’ve made this thread in the wrong section or if the thread in itself is redundant.

basically, i started playing tf2 from about november-december last year and coming from a some-what competitive gaming background, getting into a team and playing in a league was definitely always on my mind.

lately i feel like i’ve improved up to the standard where i can start actually getting into competitive tf2 in div6 however i’ve been unable to find a team. my question to you all is how did you guys get into a team and competitive tf2?

i know that what i said might sound incredibly stupid but i’ve tried a lot of the “main” methods with no success. i’ve asked about in-game, looked at the recruitment section here and even added “LFT” to my name and i’ve yet to make any progress.

from my perspective, it seems like once you are well known and have experience then you won’t have much problems finding teams and the like. however, making that first step is apparently a little out of my reach.

tl;dr – what’s your story regarding the start of your competitive tf2 career, and any tips for the newer people who are interested in starting?

thank you in advance for you help, it’d be very much appreciated.

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

When you’re first starting it is really hard, especially if you don’t know anybody.

Why I keep suggesting people make teams. There are loads of new, clanless people or just div 6 people searching, why not add a few, talk to them see what you can get going.

Also I am a nice guy if you want add me on steam and I’ll try and invite you to mixes so you can learn and get yourself known.

Sunbather

maksa

I played with hungarian friends first, thenI asked to trial with vier and I kinda got lucky cause they lost a player before season so they gave me an opportunity to trial, and now were div4 :)

Last edited by Sunbather,

Cooler

4Queens

Um, i began it when friend from some low- clan asked me to play scout, all of us had completely no experience in 6on6 and we pwned enemies in season 7 1 month later :P

You may consider watching some tf2tv casts, best players’ demos to see how this works. Also finding someone who can mentor you isn’t a problem, if you get the basic mechanics and gamesense you can try pixel pickups (search for etf2l thread of it cos i cba)- just ask admin to invite you, there’s bunch of nice ppl here.
btw welcome :)

and done make hildreth sad panda

Last edited by Cooler,

Enef

fest
#wubafan

I played in a pub server, joined their community and eventually joined their team. Now i’m a div4 soldier and still a fucking nub.

Waebi

‹Con›

Quoted from Enef

I played in a pub server, joined their community and eventually joined their team. Now i’m a div4 soldier and still a fucking nub.

as bad as it gets.

Ramown

TIDS

Played CSS at around mid/mid+ level, got bored, team folded, My clanmate started playing this, I started playing wow, I quit wow and started playing this with him. (Love u Menace)

There’s always div 6 teams looking, But you need to get known to make the whole thing go faster, put Mix/Trial in your name, play a few lobbies to get your name recognised too.
Good luck x

Spelling

?

@Hildreth: i’ll be sure to add you later, thank you very much!

thanks for all the good wishes and help everyone, i guess the only thing to do is to just keep my head up and carry on searching.

Dummy

hm
get kicked/fold most clans, then made one
finding trials/scheduling to be the best hobby ever.

Skully

my story started with CSS, I used to play CSS for about 4-5 years, with a bunch of mates, we played IRC matches at a mid-/mid level (I say IRC matches because we only played 5 matches in ED when we started). After losing one to RL issues I looked at new games and found TF2. I got friendly with a community (nervousENERGY) and was invited to play in one of thier div 6 teams and the rest is history

basicly what to do is basicly what has been said, put “mix/trial” in your name, play some lobbies, and if you can, find a team community. You may have to start div6 but as you game into the game your skill will raise up to around a level you were with CSS, as I am experiencing

Wabbeh

I don’t know how new you are to 6v6 but this is always a good thread: http://etf2l.org/forum/league/topic-12510/
As for Lobbies (tf2lobby.com), take them with a pinch of salt – often you’ll find narky omg-Im-such-hot-shit pubstars on there, or just Russians with no clue of comms. In a way bad lobbies are almost detrimental to your experience, because they teach to play very much as an individual.
My advice to get noticed would be to get a temp access to pixelpickup and then learn with a trial by fire. But the easiest way is probably to hang around the pub server of a community that’s more competitive focused.

LikeThis

About this time last year I made a recruitment post on here stating my intentions to get in to comp tf2 and that i’m a nice guy. JG promptly contacted me about some group mentoring in which i learned the basics of playing solly etc etc. The next day i was casually pubbing on the excellent HH pub servers when Brutallus/G-man added me and we talked about making a new team and him mentoring us up to div1 excellence. So i contacted a number of people, mostly from the HH community, some from the recruitment section and the people from JGs group mentoring and before you i knew it my first team, Flavour of the Month was born and my journey in to the wonderful rainbow filled world of tf2 comp had begun.

I understand how getting started in comp can be hard, most div6 teams consist of 14 year old retards who can’t stay together for more than a week. Take your time when looking for a team and don’t just jump for the first offer you’re made. (One map trials are awful, you can’t judge a person just on that one map.)

rtan

-9w-

message me if you’d like to play some mixes, i’m looking for a backup scout at the moment =]

for me I started playing pub with Poop, They Said and Hezitate, which escalated and they made snuke, which i was invited to. all went from there really.

atrox_

WaAS?

Quoted from LikeThis

About this time last year I made a recruitment post on here stating my intentions to get in to comp tf2 and that i’m a nice guy. JG promptly contacted me about some group mentoring in which i learned the basics of playing solly etc etc. The next day i was casually pubbing on the excellent HH pub servers when Brutallus/G-man added me and we talked about making a new team and him mentoring us up to div1 excellence. So i contacted a number of people, mostly from the HH community, some from the recruitment section and the people from JGs group mentoring and before you i knew it my first team, Flavour of the Month was born and my journey in to the wonderful rainbow filled world of tf2 comp had begun.

oh the wonderful days of JG/FOTM.

Same story as him

Pricee

has $w@G

tbh I got in quite easily…It started with the highlander tourny last year, my first clan started up a team of the best people on our pub server and I was medic there so then I got into contact with someone from an enemy hiughlander team who said i was a good medic and he was looking for one for his 6v6 team, and I started there :3

Last edited by Pricee,

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 5 Next »