Forum

Kritzkast interview with Robin Walker

Created 29th May 2010 @ 02:38

Add A Reply Pages: 1

tesco

mrp.

http://www.kritzkast.com/?page_id=521

[…]Kritzkast: We have all had epic moments when we’ve tried for and pulled off the impossible move only to realise that we alone saw it and no-one will ever believe it really happened. Back in July 2009 you were recorded as talking of a new demo system. Are you any closer to releasing that into the wild?
Robin Walker: We’re closer, but unfortunately still not ready to release it. The primary function of it is to ensure that after that impossible move happened, you can say “I want to save that!”, and have the game not only save it for you, but also provide you with an easy method of getting it onto your favorite movie sharing site[…]

[…]Kritzkast: For some classes their roles have changed so much from their point of origin. The scout for example, has gone from a peck and run class to an over powered front runner. Will the character models be changed to reflect their new roles?
Robin Walker: Actually, we always considered the TF2 Scout as a flanking, high damage output character, such that we sometimes even refer to him as the assassin, a Spy who can’t disguise. We felt the Force-A-Nature pushed him even further into that role, having an even higher damage spike, and a lower ranged harassment capability. The Team Fortress Classic Scout was a different creature, being much more of a runner than a fighter. When we designed the TF2 Scout’s character, it was this evolution into a fighter that contributed to him having such an aggressive personality. In retrospect, we probably should have taken the opportunity to name him something other than “scout” at the same time.[…]

[…]Kritzkast: The standard map base for TF2 has expanded rapidly largely as a result of community maps. Under what conditions do you attempt to take ownership of a map and has a map maker ever turned you down, are they even allowed to?
Robin Walker: We try to include a community map or two in every major TF2 update. We playtest a bunch of community maps internally, and we try to pay attention to what maps the community seems to be having fun with. Once we select a map we contact the author and see if they’re interested. So far no-one’s turned us down, but they’re absolutely within their rights to do so.[…]

yep, the new demo format never gets released :/

Last edited by tesco,

Black_Bob

[DA]

Well im pretty sure weve all got value from our money three years ago now :)

Enef

fest
#wubafan

I really really want that new demo format XD

nTraum

\V/ Gold
LAME

I don’t understand why they implement a whole video-upload-web3.0-we-are-cool feature, it would be cool enough if the demos would just survive major game updates.

nophin

:id:

Quoted from Black_Bob

Well im pretty sure weve all got value from our money three years ago now :)

you got that damn right!! valve are kings

Agro

(Q)<

We were pretty happy with the interview. There’s some really good stuff in there. What he said about the scout even makes me not hate scouts anymore since they are just badly named assasins.

Robin Walker: We’re still working on Meet the Pyro, which will let you see the world through the Pyro’s eyes.

That’s a bit of a scoop too.

All in, Robin is a really cool guy and TF2 has a lot more life to it than we thought.

Last edited by Agro,

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from nTraum

I don’t understand why they implement a whole video-upload-web3.0-we-are-cool feature, it would be cool enough if the demos would just survive major game updates.

+1

Imperium

Quoted from nTraum

But with a much better system there would be so much less hassle and so you’d be happier to record earlier, so updates wouldn’t even matter. Or even it does both, see how it works.

PS: Good interview, some interesting stuff in there

Last edited by Imperium,

Add A Reply Pages: 1