Forum

[S3] Provisional map pool feedback

Created 14th October 2012 @ 16:06

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 Next »

Muuki

sirkkels
GG

Quoted from Lanc

Viaduct pro on HL? It is good in 6vs6, no in 9vs9…

Replace that granary with steel. Gravel is another 6vs6 map. Not good on HL…

And why the hell you removed swiftwater? It is amazing and hard to win HL map…

What makes viaduct not good? What makes gravelpit not good? What makes granary not good? I’ve played all of those map several times in 9v9 and they’re all very fun to play, and quite frankly granary is the best of the 5cp maps for 9v9 at least from my experience (apart from process but that’s a pretty unknown map in eu 9v9), as even though it’s really stalematey, it’s still less so than foundry (badlands is just horrible, spire and last make the map unplayable)

Although I’m not so sure about gullywash but I don’t see anyone defending or wanting it in the map pool so meh.

Viaduct rewards dm which is an essential part of everything that is competetive; The team with better dm is more likely to win so what’s so bad about that? Can’t shoot well so it’s unfair that the enemy won? You still have 4 other weeks where tactics are more rewarding, so why is it bad to have 1 dm oriented map?

I don’t know if that gravel there is a typo of granary, but have you ever played/seen gravelpit in 9v9? It’s nothing like your typical 6v6 map in highlander, the map works fine with 9 classes and offers the same reward for tactical (pub) play as any pl map.

+ If you’d replace granary with steel (even though it is aweome), you would have what, 5? weeks with a/d maps and highlander is much more about variety in gamemodes than 6v6, if you only want to play 1 gamemode then go play 6v6 where you can play 5cp all day long.

Or just not join the league at all and just play the ladder or pcws

Beanie

FUCK THEY REMOVED VIADUCT PRO, AND SWIFTWATER, and replaced it with steel and upward.

REALLY? I WAS EXCITED FOR VIADUCT PRO. :(

pala4

nice map pool, gj

Override.dll

Please, no 6v6 maps in HL. Gpit and Granary are pain for Engis:
Gpit: one may either build on B’s roof or behind it, being effectively spammed out of any spot, guarding C is not so funny too because of blindspots where all the spam comes from.
Granary: one decides to play Revengi, but his team loses central point and 2nd, so one has to guard the last point, which means tedious turtling. Otherwise, playing defensively, Engi has to haul whenever the spawn room is moved, and that’s both risky and as tedious. Those maps are not for engineering at all. Full time snipers may argue, but they don’t have to build a new level 3 tele after every cap.

ondkaja

IKEA

Quoted from Override.dll

being effectively spammed out of any spot

like every sentry spot on every map ever

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

I love playing engi on gp. Try something else than the standard turtle strats.

Override.dll

Quoted from ondkaja

[…]

Then you don’t know what it is to main Engi. Upward’s route 1 offers 1 out of 3 spots that cannot be heavily spammed as it’s far away, spending like half uber just to approach it – and fail, if RED has their own uber. Badwater’s common spot on 1st route can be only spammed from below, but this spot is not sentry’s blindspot, unless it’s misplaced, so no big deal.

Quoted from Koeitje

I love playing engi on gp. Try something else than the standard turtle strats.

Every class is easy to play on stock maps against noobs, but there is simply no good spots for Engi, nor there are any possible playing techniques other than turtling. What else could be done by Engi on atkdef map in RED?

Out of all scrims that were not registered there and tf2lobby.com pick-ups, those maps were worst to play at.

Monkeh

.:ne:.
.:ne:.

When we played 6v6 on gravelpit we had an engy who loved to place his gun in cunning ninja spots. You don’t have to put anything anywhere as engy, go nutz and leave a ninja level 3 somewhere that will get a kill, then move it somewhere else.

You don’t have to build a nest and sit in it, go explore and take a gun with you.

ondkaja

IKEA

Quoted from Override.dll

[…]
Then you don’t know what it is to main Engi. Upward’s route 1 offers 1 out of 3 spots that cannot be heavily spammed as it’s far away, spending like half uber just to approach it – and fail, if RED has their own uber. Badwater’s common spot on 1st route can be only spammed from below, but this spot is not sentry’s blindspot, unless it’s misplaced, so no big deal.

[…]
Every class is easy to play on stock maps against noobs, but there is simply no good spots for Engi, nor there are any possible playing techniques other than turtling. What else could be done by Engi on atkdef map in RED?

Out of all scrims that were not registered there and tf2lobby.com pick-ups, those maps were worst to play at.

Yes, sentries are more easily spammed on gpit than upward or badwater, so what? Is there a problem with faster rounds, requiring more team work to defend the sentry and/or requiring a higher skill level on engineer? It’s still equal since the opposing team’s engineer have to defend his sentry as well. Besides, class x being disadvantaged on a map is not a reason to eliminate it from the map pool.

Last edited by ondkaja,

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from ondkaja

Besides, class x being disadvantaged on a map is not a reason to eliminate it from the map pool.

This, basically. If you don’t want to play on a map just because it’s more difficult for the class you play, maybe you should ask yourself whether or not you’re actually ready to play competitively..

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from Override.dll

[…]

[…]

Learn to DM? You got a shotgun that does 50-90 damage depending on range, a pistol with unlimited ammo that does 12-22, and a mini-sentry that can help dps and draw attention. In that sense GP differs a lot from something like PL maps, where you can have time to rebuild a full sentry nest.

Last time I played upwards with my team as engi I was only lagging behind our demo and soldier in terms of frags on both offense and defense. Upwards is the best map to play gunslinger engi on. Maybe it was just scrubs we played :D. GP is the same. Lots of vgood spots that are mainly useful as a gunslinger engi.

Last edited by Koeitje,

Override.dll

Quoted from ondkaja

[…]

Besides, class x being disadvantaged on a map is not a reason to eliminate it from the map pool.

Then we’d play Junction, Nightfall, Pipeline and Dustbowl too.

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

This, basically. If you don’t want to play on a map just because it’s more difficult for the class you play, maybe you should ask yourself whether or not you’re actually ready to play competitively..

More difficult? Like Scout on Dustbowl? Sometimes it almost does not matter how skilled the player is, map specific advantages and disadvantages (like 5gorge’s second spawn room that has no blindspots and vulnerabilities, or Foundry’s second points that are easy to defend) makes certain things go wrong.

Quoted from Koeitje

[…]

Learn to DM? You got a shotgun that does 50-90 damage depending on range, a pistol with unlimited ammo that does 12-22, and a mini-sentry that can help dps and draw attention. In that sense GP differs a lot from something like PL maps, where you can have time to rebuild a full sentry nest.

Revengi in def leads to quick loss too often. Imagine minisentry attempting to guard GenericHLPLmap’s first route. Similar thing on Gpit, not counting blindspots for spam. And how to DM with 125 HP and a shotgun?

ondkaja

IKEA

Quoted from Override.dll

[…]
Then we’d play Junction, Nightfall, Pipeline and Dustbowl too.

The reason why they are not in the map pool is because they have severe pacing and balance issues, and overall boring stalematey gameplay, not because certain classes are disadvantaged on them. Besides, candidate maps are being played in mixes, experimental cups, UGC, doublemixes and PCWs, because highlander is still very experimental.

envy

Quoted from Override.dll

makes certain things go wrong

“Wrong” it’s like what? Losing your buildings is wrong? This. Is. Normal. Get over it. Medics drop or pop forced ubers every day and nobody says that “map specific advantages and disadvantages” is to blame. If you want to build your shit in setup time and never lose anything during a round, this is wrong.
Also, lol at upgrading tele up to third level in HL. Maybe I don’t understand something, but it seems useless as fuck.
P.S. I don’t even say anything about the Wrangler.

Override.dll

Quoted from ondkaja

[…]The reason why they are not in the map pool is because they have severe pacing and balance issues, and overall boring stalematey gameplay, not because certain classes are disadvantaged on them. Besides, candidate maps are being played in mixes, experimental cups, UGC, doublemixes and PCWs, because highlander is still very experimental.

Gpit has one, too: point A is too easy to cap, making it almost 2-point CP map rather than 3-point. Nobody seem to complain about “generic HL maps”, Badwater and Upward.

Quoted from envy

[…]
Also, lol at upgrading tele up to third level in HL. Maybe I don’t understand something, but it seems useless as fuck.

You surely don’t. Level 1 tele saves like 10-40 seconds of movement, depending on class and map, minus cooldown time. Lower the cooldown time, and new respawn wave will affect the battlefield much faster. Imagine Heavy that appears when demo’s uber is one second from the end and shreds him along with Medic and Scout, allowing Engi to rebuild instead of dying or assembling another nest one point backwards.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 Next »