Forum

m_yaw for dif aspect ratios

Created 22nd August 2013 @ 03:46

Add A Reply Pages: 1

Saki

Heya peeps, Please do correct me if I am mistaken but here is the problem as follows.

I understand that changing resolutions on its own should not effect the sensitivity of the mouse in any way or shape, a change of aspect ratio should (correct me if I’m wrong) affect sensitivity on the x axis if not the perception of it due to the change.
This is under the assumption that the in-game FOV is set to 90 though of course per aspect ratio the actual fov could be say 106 for 16:9.

I recently swapped monitors from my 5:4 to 16:9 (the original was 25 ms response time so made sense) but after which aiming was very difficult for me on the x axis. actions aimed on the y axis felt perfectly fine however.

Would changing the value of m_yaw allow me to retain the feeling of sensitivity from my 5:4 or 4:3 monitors as i switch to my widescreen ?

If so is there a formula I can use to calculate the value neccesary?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by Saki,

Setsul

YOU CAN’T HANDLE THE FOV!

Bad ideas:
– fuck up m_yaw
– change sensitivity
– stretch 5:4 resolution to 16:9

Good ideas:
– use 5:4 resolution
GET USED TO 16:9

Quoted from Setsul

– stretch 5:4 resolution to 16:9

Not necessarily a bad idea. While it reduces your fov it also stretches the enemy model a bit (= bigger)

Saki

Haha thanks I am indeed playing on the old aspect ratio on the new monitor and am able to aim once again, still though it should be logically possible to control m_yaw to some extent to give the same feeling at a different aspect ratio no?

Can anyone answer that just for theory’s sake perhaps?

In the mean time playing with black bars is fun and i can finally aim again xD

Marf

Strejk

Uhm,
if there isn’t some weird source-engine specific calculation going on, logically seen switching aspect ratios should do nothing with you sensitivity in any axis. The cm/360 should always stay the same. What will be different is how “fast” turning looks at the sides of your view, since your horizontal FOV changes. But the amount your crosshair moves shouldn’t be affected at all.

As I said, I’m not entirely certain. But kinda certain.

Last edited by Marf,

Add A Reply Pages: 1