Forum

(=WDG=) Comp-style Public Server

Created 27th August 2013 @ 22:37

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

DeadlyAvenger

(=WDG=)

Hi everyone!

My name’s Sam aka DeadlyAvenger and I’m a clan leader of Who Dares…Grins – a UK TF2 clan/community. We’ve pottered around in ETF2L Div 6/5, HL tourneys and can usually be found representing at an iSeries event now and again!

I’m pleased to announce that after the idea was first brought to our attention over a year ago, we’re now pleased to announce the launch of our comp-style public TF2 server! This is a server aimed particularly at those players who are looking for a slightly more competitive style of public play!

Maybe you’re fed up with crits / random weapon spread or some of the unlocks that you get in pub servers! Why not pay us a visit sometime?!?

So what’s the dealio?
– ETF2L-style public config (no crits, fixed spread)
– Comp-style weapon restrictions (currently the ETF2L 6v6 whitelist but this is subject to change!)
– Maps chosen from competitive map pools
– Map votes, nominations & rock the vote
– Team balance / scramble
– AFK & High Ping manager

One minor disclaimer is that at the server is very new – there may be aspects of the config that need tweaking adjusting! If anything seems wrong then just let me know!

The details:
Name: (=WDG=) Who Dares…Grins TF2 #2 | Compstyle! | wdgclan.co.uk
IP: server.wdgclan.co.uk:27015

Add it to your favourites and jump on if your team is looking for a warm-up or cool-down after a match!

If that doesn’t sound like your cup of tea – we always have our main public Server #1 which runs a more traditional pub config!
Name: (=WDG=) Who Dares…Grins TF2 #1 | Public | wdgclan.co.uk
IP: server.wdgclan.co.uk:27016

I hope you check it out and would love to hear some feedback – the server is aimed at providing a great TF2 experience for those that are maybe a little fed up with ‘normal’ pub play.

I’ll monitor this thread for feedback and I also encourage you to check out our website/forums/steam community!

Last edited by DeadlyAvenger,

frixx

LG

oh man, always loved to play with WDG. Really nice community. GL in the future

T0m

(ETF2L Donator)

Sounds good. Will definitely use :D

Berath

SFG
KC&LtL

We’ve a few people on now testing it out! We’ll see what feedback we get.

Although it’ll be up all the time, since it’s just starting, we’ll hold Special events (probably on a Tuesday) so people can get to know the server and get in to some sort of routine. Also so that we don’t burn ourselves out starting up the server.

Keeping non-quickplay servers going isn’t/won’t be easy

We’ll be making announcements in our Steam group anyway

Last edited by Berath,

Spike Himself

TC

Played two maps last night. Was fun!

Shame I was alone though :D

DeadlyAvenger

(=WDG=)

(=WDG=) have decided to run a community event on this server every Tuesday at 8pm (UK time) to try to populate it. If you’re interested in checking it out then it’s guaranteed* it’ll be populated then.

(*guarantee not guaranteed ;) )

Joshi

i was on it twice but there were only like 4 people :(
would be nice if we could get it more populated

Berath

SFG
KC&LtL

That’s always the problem. People don’t join empty servers or try and populate them. That’s why we don’t get many good servers.

It’s also why we’re trying to focus on one day a week (Tuesday), when we can get together to start it up so at least it can have players on it once a week and hopefully we can have a few good games

Jonaz

Sounds like a pretty good server, would be even better if it would run with HL whitelist imo.

Phnx

A shame that there are no players most of the time.

DeadlyAvenger

(=WDG=)

Our community event on the server has just started (8pm every Tuesday) if anyone is interested in trying it out!

Berath

SFG
KC&LtL

Thanks to all that turned up. We filled the server and got some games going.

We’ll be holding another event, same time, same place, next week..Tuesday 8pm (uk time)

I know some people would prefer a HL whitelist. We’ll see how it goes but perhaps that would bring it too close to a standard non-crit server. At the moment it’s something very different.

Anyhow, we’re still open for feedback especially now the server has been full..on maps, class limits and weapons (including if we were to allow more weapons, how could we do it without confusing people re. what they can use and what they can’t).

Let us know here or on the WDG forum http://www.wdgclan.co.uk/

SabaSaba

[hePPa]

It was kinda fun but playing gully and granary with 20 players isn’t the most fun pub I can imagine, especially if they are played within an hour. Highlander unlocks would make it more fun in my opinion, at least it would add variation to these not-so-highlander-maps.

I don’t know any popular no crit servers so I can’t say this would be one of the “standard no crit servers”. Nocrit public servers are suffering from a massive player shortage.

Please run this next week, maybe I’ll pop in again!

Berath

SFG
KC&LtL

Thanks for feeding back and not being totally put off!

First, I believe Deadly has added some more maps.

The idea is to run it every Tuesday from 8pm so hopefully we can keep it going, so we will be running it again next week.

We haven’t looked at the number of slots yet, it’s currently 20 because it was our match server – we’re not sure how things are going to go so we haven’t bought any extra slots for the time being.

Regarding a HL whitelist and more unlocks, the ETF2L 6v6 isn’t the only 6v6 whitelist, there are less extreme versions which can be considered…we’re still discussing it on our forum. Much depends on whether numbers keep up and if we feel we’re still filling a niche for the community.

(and we still have our normal pub which we run on Fridays whatever)

Last edited by Berath,

Berath

SFG
KC&LtL

Just a reminder, we’ll be running this again tonight starting 8pm UK time. We’ll try to get cp_metalworks added plus the winger but if we don’t manage it in time, we definitely will for next week.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »