Forum

serveme.tf - free TF2 server reservations

Created 25th October 2012 @ 09:38

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 18 19 20 ... 35 Next »

Kaneco

Quoted from Arie

September donations total is 51,88 euros, so I’ll save those for next month to spread to the server providers.

If you’ve ever wondered (like I did), how much of the reservations are coming from tf2lobby, here’s a graph to show you the past week (when tf2lobby was down):
http://i.imgur.com/aeY6ZGm.png

wow, that’s a lot, hope the tf2lobby users dont clog the system too much for who really needs a server for pcws. Keep up the great work arie!

Arie

(serveme.tf)
FB
[FB]

Quoted from Kaneco

[…]

hope the tf2lobby users dont clog the system too much for who really needs a server for pcws.

As long as you reserve in advance, should never be a problem, especially for donators.

Arie

(serveme.tf)
FB
[FB]

Due to a lack of donations I’m looking to cancel my 2nd server providing 8 gameservers. Also nTraum has indicated he’s ending his server contract, causing another 3 gameservers to be removed.

I’ve moved a bunch of gameservers to the donator only group to compensate for the loss of gameservers and to reward donators by making sure there’s always a server available for them.

Added google ads (awaiting google confirmation), to see if that can add some money for the server bills. No ads for donators ofc.

Last edited by Arie,

byte

Guys, I would definitely try and find $5 and donate to Arie and co, service isn’t cheap to run and $5 multiplied by X amount of people can go a long way…

Cheers

Byte

Last edited by byte,

kKaltUu

UbeR |
-chess-

I might be angering a lot of people, but what if you move all the servers to donator only?
It seems like not everyone is as appreciative of this service as others are, so reward the people who supported you with dirt cheap servers.

Russian Guyovich

(Surging Meat Cable)
[T-A!]LoS

Quoted from kKaltUu

I might be angering a lot of people, but what if you move all the servers to donator only?
It seems like not everyone is as appreciative of this service as others are, so reward the people who supported you with dirt cheap servers.

Make a few free and the rest donator only. That way the freeloaders can scrap for tight scheduling and there’s more of an incentive for them to send some monies your way.

Kaneco

Quoted from kKaltUu

This, or at least remove the option to use servers in tf2lobby unless you are a donator.

The huge amount of servers being used for tf2lobby is clogging the system and preventing real teams that have no server to practice.

Just last weekend I tried to rent a server (and Im a donator) and all donator servers as well as normal servers were being used, the normal servers were being used 90% of them for lobbies.

Despite all the goodwill of so many people there are still many selfish people in the community and maybe you should show them that they can’t have everything as they please.

THis service is great, more than great infact, I would dare to say the amount of costumization and on-demand set up of a server to this detail is groundbreaking. But its obviously not sustainable, so we have to make it so, whether it is from ads, remove normal user features or (contact valve for support maybe? :) )

Arie I would also recommend to take a look at tf2outpost, scrap.tf, bazaar.tf, trade.tf, backpack.tf etc and see how they monetize their sites, they’re obviously making a profit, altough they offer less resource consuming services (not servers) but there are obviously a few more ways you could improve the site sustainability.

I will try to donate again in the future but it’s kinda hard for me atm since all the extra paypal $ I had went for comp.tf

Oupa

Nave

Quoted from Russian Guyovich

[…]

Make a few free and the rest donator only. That way the freeloaders can scrap for tight scheduling and there’s more of an incentive for them to send some monies your way.

Yeah i agree with this.
And even if peeps cant pay with paypal they still can pay with items so theres no excuse at all to not support this project.

also: http://i.imgur.com/HhMc8Nu.jpg

btw arie could you make some kinda of graph or bar or something in the front page that shows the amount of money you currently have to cover the monthly fees?
It can be cool as it would remind people to help up as the month is ending and money is still needed.

Last edited by Oupa,

Arie

(serveme.tf)
FB
[FB]

I’ve drastically re-arranged the free/donator ratio. 13 free servers and 20 just for donators. Thanks all for the suggestion.
I’m also considering making a donator-only feature to ‘overrule’ a reservation made by a free user…but meh…that might get kinda nasty ;)

Quoted from Oupa

[…]
btw arie could you make some kinda of graph or bar or something in the front page that shows the amount of money you currently have to cover the monthly fees?
It can be cool as it would remind people to help up as the month is ending and money is still needed.

I used to have the paypal donation widget that showed the progress, but that’s no longer available. I’ll probably make something to replace it soon.

Quoted from Kaneco

[…]
This, or at least remove the option to use servers in tf2lobby unless you are a donator.

The huge amount of servers being used for tf2lobby is clogging the system and preventing real teams that have no server to practice.

I don’t know in advance a server will be used for a lobby. The usage of the servers for lobby is valid in my opinion (if only to make TF2Lobby games slightly better), I don’t think I want to ban that.

Quoted from Kaneco

[…]
Just last weekend I tried to rent a server (and Im a donator) and all donator servers as well as normal servers were being used, the normal servers were being used 90% of them for lobbies.

Man….that’s incredibly shitty, I’m sorry about that. The whole point of having 7 donator-only servers was to try and always have one available for donators like yourself.
Today’s redistribution of donator-only servers should greatly reduce the risk of that recurring.

Quoted from Kaneco

[…]
THis service is great, more than great infact, I would dare to say the amount of costumization and on-demand set up of a server to this detail is groundbreaking. But its obviously not sustainable, so we have to make it so, whether it is from ads, remove normal user features or (contact valve for support maybe? :) )

Over 6000 reservations per month on 30 servers with too little donations to partially compensate the server providers probably is unsustainable. If only because it would make me feel bad being empty handed for them at the end of a month (even though most dont want their share).
But in the worst case: All current server providers pull out and the system is left with my 2 dedicated servers providing 16 gameservers, 4 free and 12 donator-only or something.

In the meantime, one big donation and a few small means I’ll keep the extra dedicated server and can hand out the other server providers their share of the donations at the end of the month <3 <3 <3

Last edited by Arie,

Kaneco

Quoted from Arie

I’ve drastically re-arranged the free/donator ratio. 13 free servers and 20 just for donators. Thanks all for the suggestion.
I’m also considering making a donator-only feature to ‘overrule’ a reservation made by a free user…but meh…that might get kinda nasty ;)

Yeah the overrule option might not be a good idea, hope you consider looking at the sites I mentioned, they have used great monetizing techniques and altough I understand the aim of this project is not to make profit at least it could become a bit more sustainable.

Quoted from Arie

I don’t know in advance a server will be used for a lobby. The usage of the servers for lobby (also at primetime) is valid in my opinion, I don’t think I want to ban that.

I thought there was a specific stv setting for lobbies, maybe you could make the stv on by default for non-donator servers, this would make them non functional for lobbies, of course thats just my opinion because a great part of the system is being used for lobbies but they are still valid uses for the servers, albeit arguably less urgent.

Quoted from Arie

Man….that’s incredibly shitty, I’m sorry about that. The whole point of having 7 donator-only servers was to try and always have one available for donators like yourself.
Today’s redistribution of donator-only servers should greatly reduce the risk of that recurring.

Its no big deal actually, I donated 1 or 2 times way back when the project started and haven’t really used it that much fortunately but I love to keep track of its progress , it was just unlucky when we really needed a server (which was for a official :D) there wasn’t one. But in the end everything ended well and ETF2L actually borrowed us one of their official hypernia servers and we played the official.

Quoted from Arie

In the meantime, one big donation and a few small means I’ll keep the extra dedicated server and can hand out the other server providers their share of the donations at the end of the month <3 <3 <3

Great to know :)

BenBazinga

Garlic.tf

one tip about not having a server for an official, if you’re an donator you can reserve servers more than 3 hours in advance. As soon as I’ve arranged a date for an official, I’ll just reserve the server on serveme.tf (a week in advance) this’ll ensure we have a server.

Kaneco

Quoted from BenBazinga

one tip about not having a server for an official, if you’re an donator you can reserve servers more than 3 hours in advance. As soon as I’ve arranged a date for an official, I’ll just reserve the server on serveme.tf (a week in advance) this’ll ensure we have a server.

I know but Im not usually the one arranging servers and wars, so I thought my teammate had dealt with that but he didnt :)

maidos

that sucks that the donation lacks :/ as for me i will continue to provide free servers to serveme.tf

CapTVK

HoT<3

Pity that Arie’s serveme.tf system (and the server owners) has to scrape by in this way. I’m not sure the users of the free servers realize how good this TF2 server reservation system is. it’s basically : (1) making a reservation , (2)choose settings, (3) invite players and go!

In the past if you wanted to play regular comp matches you had to be part of a clan/group with a member who was savy enough to set up his own server (and more importantly maintain it) and/or members who were willing to pay for the monthly server costs. And, excluding the occasional pug, that server would be empty most days of the week.

Maybe the free servers should also come with an ingame msg/popup about donating? And with ingame msg’s/popups I mean using the advertisements plugin for SourceMod. If you’re a donator there would be no ingame msg’s/popups.

Last edited by CapTVK,

Hammer

I wish i was 18 and i could donate a little, the community have to maintain this site because it’s the community that’s using it.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 18 19 20 ... 35 Next »