Scout strafing

Created 4th November 2011 @ 15:36

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

Orchid

|=3

Quoted from Dummy

[…]
why do people persist in saying w m1ing in the demos face is good

it actually makes it easy to hit scouts with pipes!

smziii

(Legendary Ratehacks)
SVIFT

Quoted from Orchid

[…]
it actually makes it easy to hit scouts with pipes!

i think you cant generalize it but in certain situations when you are close enough you can w m1 because the selfdamage of a pipe (in close range) is really high so you dont have to deal that much damage as a scout

GibbZ

WOOOOO!

only playing it for 8 month”

On subject…. Dodging will become natural eventually but try this.
Scouts – just adadadadada unpredictably maybe double jump strafing when you’re reloading if you can get above there head

Sollys – minimise the time you spend on the direct ground i.e. get a height advantage. Use boxes, crates, rocks ect… other then that keep your distance and count rockets. Height + meatshots = ez.

Demomen – this is actually the easiest when its pipes vs scouts (if they use stickies you literally do have to just bomb it towards them or away from them depending on where they sticky – take advantage of det time); for pipes vs scouts just do what you would vs a scout but take alot more time to just plain stop still. Most demomen like (subconciously) find predictable patterns in your movement and then aim off that, just stopping still suddenly can really put them off. For example: left right left stop left left stop right left right. It’s alot more predictable then adadadada at a different pace. Try not to jump vs demomen too… massive hitbox on pines makes u easy to hit.

Obvioulsy I’m just some div5 shitscrub scout, but this is what I’ve gathered from watching great player Koeitje play.

Dummy

Quoted from smziii

[…]

i think you cant generalize it but in certain situations when you are close enough you can w m1 because the selfdamage of a pipe (in close range) is really high so you dont have to deal that much damage as a scout

id rather not take any damage from a demo, scouts should be ashamed of themselves if they do :D

redou

PyRo|GEN

I didnt know that, about to stop moving vs demo. But I know 8 month is not enough compared to other scouts.

I think my aim is quite good for where I should play, but my strafing isn’t good too. When I played against div 4/3 scouts, their strafing was horrible. I mean I didnt see a scout strafe like that. Also you say not to jump vs scouts, but they did vs me, with pistol.

It was like I jump left and then i strafe right etc… But honestly i tried that and it’s hard as hell. >:D

freshmeatt

‹Con›

Quoted from redou

I didnt know that, about to stop moving vs demo. But I know 8 month is not enough compared to other scouts.

It is, some people just improve faster, others slower, that’s the way it is.
Quoted from redou

I think my aim is quite good for where I should play, but my strafing isn’t good too. When I played against div 4/3 scouts, their strafing was horrible. I mean I didnt see a scout strafe like that. Also you say not to jump vs scouts, but they did vs me, with pistol.

It was like I jump left and then i strafe right etc… But honestly i tried that and it’s hard as hell. >:D

It seems like them jumping messes up your aim a lot in the beginning, but once you get a grasp on the arcs, second jump delays and whatnot, it becomes obvious for you that jumping means an instameatshot in your chest. You may do that to deal a final blow, mix up your movement when reloading or something along those lines, but developing your dueling around jumps is a mistake.
Details like strafing unpredictably will come as natural over time, you will not even pay attention. Nail the issue down, deal with it now so you don’t have to worry about it later and focus on more important matters.

Last edited by freshmeatt,

GibbZ

WOOOOO!

Quoted from redou

Well the stop moving thing I actually saw in one of carnages frag videos. I hadn’t seen other scouts do it and I was suprised how effective it was. It’s hard to do it all the time as it’s rare to get a 1on1 situation with a demoman; either he’s out of position or you are generally.

As far as the jump dodging goes. It’s pretty useless to try it when you’re on full ammo. I mean there’s more effective methods of dodgeing that allow you to aim more easily (read adadadadada), I generally only do it when I’m reloading so that I can concentrate on the movement and get a good curving arc.

Jump left, strafe right, double jump forward, strafe left – as an example. It’s useless if you just go left right and it’s also useless if your airstrafe is too predictable.

Tbf though if you watch stefan you can really see how he controls it and still aims at the same time. Playing offclassing demomen and sollys they generally just spam jump and flick shots. It’s hard to hit and can pay off. At the end of the day it’s all down to your playstyle. It’s probably more worth it if you concentrate on your positioning to get an advantage from the get-go instead of getting into bad situations and relying on dodgeing. Stefans is such a good scout because he has great dodging and amazing positioning, unlike someone like wltrs who’s more run in and meatshawt.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Standing still can also work vs scouts. If you start moving right before he takes the shot it can be quite a bitch to hit you. The timing is hard though :D.

GibbZ

WOOOOO!

Quoted from Koeitje

Standing still can also work vs scouts. If you start moving right before he takes the shot it can be quite a bitch to hit you. The timing is hard though :D.

Meh, the scout has alot more control as its less about prediction for scouts (if you’re good anyway). I disagree… You small cow.

tarquinbb

standing still is a cheeky backhander though.

mind games.

smziii

(Legendary Ratehacks)
SVIFT

Quoted from Koeitje

predz style

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from GibbZ

[…]

Meh, the scout has alot more control as its less about prediction for scouts (if you’re good anyway). I disagree… You small cow.

I’m not saying you should all the time. But there are scouts who always strafe the same way and when you get in their pattern its just a clean-up.

kuma

Just try and be annoying and unpredictable, like jump around a lot like a moron. The psychological damage is worth more sometimes.

nvc

JUST RUN THE FUCK BEHIND HIM AND FUCKING MEATSHOT HIM AND THEN MAKE HIM FUCKING KILL HIMSELF WITH HIS OWN FUCKING ROCKET WHEN HE TURNS THE FUCK AROUND AND PANICS LIKE THE SHITTY FUCKING CLASS HE’S CHOSEN TO FUCKING PLAY, IT FUCKING WORKS AND HE WONT EVER GIVE YOU SHIT AGAIN BRO.

Last edited by nvc,

vani

Bully

In conclusion:

Do whatever you’re not supposed to do.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »