Forum

[Contest Entry WIP] cp_follower FINAL

Created 2nd March 2009 @ 21:13

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 7 Next »

vilepickle

“layout almost identical :/”

I did post shots where the layout elements were very similar, but there are areas where it’s quite different. For instance, the 2nd shot shows the outside part of where the biggest change around CP2 will be, albeit the outside of the building. Think of the map as a rearrangement of Granary/Badlands elements, like the paths, and that’s basically what you’ve got. The number of paths adds up to be the same as those maps, since they work and there’s no reason to reinvent the wheel there. Theming is also very similar to Granary with a touch of Well and Badlands for good measure, with alpine influence.

I probably should’ve waited to post the middle at the same time, since yeah, CP1/2 are heavily influenced by Granary.

I do want the gameplay to be different though, so if it feels too much like the same thing I’ll be making changes. I want the map to be kind of like a different color in the same pack of markers. If you play the same maps all the time, you want a change, but not a HUGE jump.

Nigh

¿
TF2.ro

omg vilepickle hello :D

you know me:

duel_duel2_pro

gl with map

it looks nice :D

vilepickle

Beta 1 released. Main post updated.

Download/Screenshots at http://www.vilepickle.com/map/screens/tf2_cp_follower/ (official page for the map, includes 7z, zip, and bz2)

Slash

looks awsome badlands style map ;) gl on the map

vilepickle

Beta 2 released. Main post updated.

Had to fix the blue cabinets. Always the one little thing. Grr.

Download/Screenshots at http://www.vilepickle.com/map/screens/tf2_cp_follower (official page for the map, includes 7z, zip, and bz2)

tarmo-

<3 Fruit

*IMPRESSED* O_O

just love your work :p

tho, in first picture you might want to modify the “hill” under the bridge, as it kinda looks wrong at the moment :o but that just might be me

wer

tfortress.no

looks very good, gonna test it now :)

F2

Danmark

I have to say I am disappointed about this map. We do want a competitive 5cp map, but no one asked for a remake of granary/badlands. And this is exactly that. Just take a look at the similarities. And there’s other similarities, like the position of the second & third respawn are the same as on granary (except it’s mirrored position).

It doesn’t mean that the map isn’t good in competitive play. It might very well be (especially given that badlands and granary are). But in its current form I don’t hope this map comes anywhere near winning the contest. It just doesn’t deserve it.

Instead innovative maps like mapnel and hillside should win. Not only do they have cap points not seen in 5cp maps before, but for example on hillside there’s no forward respawn when you cap the middle point, instead there are certain gates that open/close making it easier for the team that has cp3 to come from cp1 to cp3. And it turns out that it actually works in 6v6! Original design that works in 6v6 is what should be rewarded in this competition imo.

vilepickle

Oh, I agree fully. I just wanted a map very similar to stock maps but also slightly different. If something else is more fresh and it’s original, by all means let them win.

Shame on me :)

But I do disagree to the point that “nobody wanted a remake of granary/badlands”. Many people I’ve seen want exactly that.

Norrland3000

looks damn nice!

qck.

U/²

have to agree with f2… it even have the same “shithouse” as badlands.. the middle is just like badlands but with another theme.. last too..

thaldarin

I’ts granary, with a few door twists, a badlands bridge and jump routes made in to pathways.

This sort of map angers me as a mapper; why? It’s a blatent rip off of an existing map by layout which shows an amazingly large amount of lack of thought and talent. It’s a pretty map sure, but it is by no means your own work.

vilepickle

Hey, you’re welcome to disqualify the map before you even play it since it looks so similar. If you think you’re going to lay a guilt trip on me for using a similar design, think again. Lack of talent? I guess so. Let’s start insulting people trying to make maps for you to play, that is quite productive.

Renegade

Imperial

http://www.imperial-esports.net/index.php?site=forum_topic&topic=132

vilepickle

If you’re interested in the early development process, I took a few Hammer screens during the initial blocking phases and during early texturing. They can be found at http://vilepickle.com/map/follower_dev/

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 7 Next »