Forum

[DISCONTINUED] Link-M0re Square HUD

Created 10th January 2011 @ 03:14

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 7 8 9 ... 15 Next »

ell

(ETF2L Donator)

Bars and Disguises v6 http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa461/linkred/v6/misc.png

ell

(ETF2L Donator)

Quoted from revanxp

Are you just working on concepts or are you already making the hud? Is there a release date?

The concept stage is as good as finnished and we started coding a bit. The only thing I don’t feel entirely confident with is the specgui, but we can get back to that later. The health squares brought us to a bit of a halt but I did the most tricky code regarding that yesterday, so from now on it should be mostly familiar ground. I wouldn’t dare say when we can have a first release, but I’d guess we’ll have a first version out in a few weeks at least.

ell

(ETF2L Donator)

The hud is starting to take shape: Two in-game screenshots.
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa461/linkred/link-m0re_in_game1.png
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa461/linkred/link-m0re_in_game2.png

Starkie

ulti?
sniper

Quoted from ell

The hud is starting to take shape: Two in-game screenshots.
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa461/linkred/link-m0re_in_game1.png
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa461/linkred/link-m0re_in_game2.png

Ideas for improvement:
Box around the ammo a bit like the health box.
Turn the health box into a health bucket (meaning the lower your health is, the lower the bar inside the box)

bìester

GIVE IT TO MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

:)

ell

(ETF2L Donator)

Scoreboard V7 http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa461/linkred/scores_v7.png

Inb4 people start bitching about not being able to see avatars, status, classes, dominations and superfluous stats. I don’t think this will be the only scoreboard we make for this hud, but I’ll probably just make this one for the first release in order to get a playable version out quicker.

murje

sirkkels
[hePPa]

Does that crosshair come with the hud? :o

kuma

I wouldn’t count “classes” as a superfluous stat… it’s easier to see what’s dead on your side at a glance than trying to figure it out with the name every time, especially in mixes/pickups. Not to mention people might forget to mention they went spy/sniper etc.

Also, when you say status do you mean who’s dead/alive? Because without these two bits of information it would be unplayable in 6v6.

Wabbeh

What kuma said. Also speccing.

ell

(ETF2L Donator)

Quoted from murje

Does that crosshair come with the hud? :o

Yes, and let me explain to you why. I don’t wan’t to force my crosshair preferences onto people. The alignment of the damage numbers depends largely on the size and dimensions of the crosshair, and a position that fits all is beyond doubt not a good one. I think the damage number style where the numbers appear at the exactly same spot, close to where you’re aiming is an underrated and underused one, since you don’t have to take the eyes off whatever you’re focusing off. I want people to give it an honest try in it’s right context before they make a decision about it, and even the hud itself. If, after trying it, you choose to stick with the hud, you can take the time to customize it to your needs.I will make sure to attach in-detail explanations of how to remove, adjust position and change colour of crosshair and damage numbers. It’s a quick and simple thing to do.

hykleri

eta

ell

(ETF2L Donator)

Quoted from kuma

I wouldn’t count “classes” as a superfluous stat

Neither did I.

Quoted from kuma

it’s easier to see what’s dead on your side at a glance than trying to figure it out with the name every time, especially in mixes/pickups. Not to mention people might forget to mention they went spy/sniper etc.

Good point, I consider keeping the class field. If your team fail to tell you what they are up to they are at fault though. My intention is to not distract people with information they shouldn’t have to process, that way you can occupy your thinking with more important matters, there is enough to keep track of already.

Quoted from kuma

I wouldn’t count “classes” as a superfluous stat
it’s easier to see what’s dead on your side at a glance than trying to figure it out with the name every time, especially in mixes/pickups. Not to mention people might forget to mention they went spy/sniper etc.

Quoted from kuma

Also, when you say status do you mean who’s dead/alive? Because without these two bits of information it would be unplayable in 6v6.

The status field contain’s a scull when you’re dead, it isn’t necessary, since it carries the same information that is allready conveyed, by making the dead player fields darker.

I’ve also gotten a question about the ping and why it’s left out. The minimal information principle applies to this as well. I understand if people want to check their ping, I don’t understand why anyone would want to check their ping twice or in the middle of a game. It’s not about to change, so it’s sufficient if you do it once. You may do that right after you connect to a new server by typing ping into console. After that, you have no interest in the value and, if I were to leave it in, all it would do for the remainder of the game would be to add extra clutter.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from ell

If your team fail to tell you what they are up to they are at fault though. My intention is to not distract people with information they shouldn’t have to process, that way you can occupy your thinking with more important matters, there is enough to keep track of already.

I admire your ambitions and I understand where you’re coming from, but let’s be realistic; it takes looking at a scoreboard only 3 times to know where everything is. If you’d include a player’s age, the amount of sisters they have and how old those girls are, whether they have lost their virginity yet or not, and the amount of pets the player in question has abused, it won’t make any difference. People look at what they need to know.

ell

(ETF2L Donator)

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

I admire your ambitions and I understand where you’re coming from, but let’s be realistic; it takes looking at a scoreboard only 3 times to know where everything is. If you’d include a player’s age, the amount of sisters they have and how old those girls are, whether they have lost their virginity yet or not, and the amount of pets the player in question has abused, it won’t make any difference. People look at what they need to know.

I can’t vouche for that any changes of this kind will be of any measurable significance for performance, but it makes sense to strive in the right direction. If you were to include those girls and whatnotelse in the scoreboard, most people would come out on the other end of a game with at least some additional irrelevant information. I find myself remembering the domination details from a previous game, even though it was of zero importance for what I was there to to. The same reasoning can be applied to the clutter aspect. So, let me put it this way: If you’re not looking at it, you won’t miss it, and if you do, then you’re doing it wrong. Either way I’m taking it out.

Wabbeh

All information is important – knowing everyones’ ping is quite vital, especially to find out if the other team are ruskis or not. Also although dominations isn’t that useful, it can still help you know which enemy will focus you (with the help of their hats – hats DO have an impact!), because especially against people with not so good gamesense, (and even those who do have gamesense) it is natural to try and get revenge no matter what (that’s why they put dominations in in the first place.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 7 8 9 ... 15 Next »