Forum

Allowing a few unlocks?

Created 7th June 2012 @ 11:42

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 19 20 21 Next »

Kaneco

Quoted from herpderp

Even with a yes/no spreadsheet you’re still going to have the drama and disagreements and if you put together a perfectly balanced panel you’re just setting them up for long periods of discussions and periods of indecision and if the panel is slanted towards one side more than the other you’ll also have drama.

Seems like whatever the outcome of this debate will be the league will suffer for it.

I guess with the number of registered teams decreasing over time, we need to do something to make the league more dynamic and interesting, no matter how much drama it creates if it’s for the best of the league

I hope you don’t dismiss already so early the idea of having a committee analyze each unlock one by one, it’s a great idea and should really be taken into consideration.

rytis

PrettyGay

Quoted from Kaneco

[…]

I guess with the number of registered teams decreasing over time, we need to do something to make the league more dynamic and interesting, no matter how much drama it creates if it’s for the best of the league

I hope you don’t dismiss already so early the idea of having a committee analyze each unlock one by one, it’s a great idea and should really be taken into consideration.

fact is highlander is becoming more popular caus of the unlock rules and you can play any class you want while at 6v6 you are kinda limited, as running a engineer to middle wouldnt be as much rewarding as a scout and etc

herpderp

DAKKA

Quoted from Kaneco

I already feel sorry for the poor buggers that have to reach concensus on every unlock. It’s a great idea in theory but I doubt it will be as great in execution.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from herpderp

[…]

I already feel sorry for the poor buggers that have to reach concensus on every unlock. It’s a great idea in theory but I doubt it will be as great in execution.

Indeed. It just sounds like the same bullshit we’ve had on the forums in the past all over again.

Kaneco

Quoted from herpderp

[…]

Like someone mentioned before, a yes/no spreadsheet would do the work. Knowing beforehand that the panel/committee is balanced and representing the majority of the community in a balanced way.

The team captain poll idea like in the NA scene doesn’t sound too bad either, but it couldn’t have only prem team captains and not every div6 team captain either, it would have to be somewhere in the middle to be well executed imo.

herpderp

DAKKA

Quoted from Kaneco

[…]

Like someone mentioned before, a yes/no spreadsheet would do the work. Knowing beforehand that the panel/committee is balanced and representing the majority of the community in a balanced way.

The team captain poll idea like in the NA scene doesn’t sound too bad either, but it couldn’t have only prem team captains and not every div6 team captain either, it would have to be somewhere in the middle to be well executed imo.

A balanced panel would end in a stalemate of indecision. A tilted panel would end in 1 side of the debate being unhappy because they were mis/underrepresented within the debate.

Kaneco

Quoted from herpderp

[…]

A balanced panel would end in a stalemate of indecision. A tilted panel would end in 1 side of the debate being unhappy because they were mis/underrepresented within the debate.

Npt sure about that, sure we have had this debate for long enough, but we don’t know what the outcome would be if such committee was created and elected to vote. Maybe in the last year or 2 people became more open minded about unlocks, or old players that were more defensive about unlocks quit and left space for some new school to take over . Or euros became even more close minded and everyone hate’s unlocks, who knows. You never know what the outcome would be if you don’t do it.

Admirable

(Toucan Ambassador)

Quoted from rytis

fact is highlander is becoming more popular caus of the unlock rules and you can play any class you want while at 6v6 you are kinda limited, as running a engineer to middle wouldnt be as much rewarding as a scout and etc

I think this is the highlander fallacy! It is highlander ruleset that enforces that every class must be featured at all times in match. Surely 6v6 is actually far more flexible by comparison? :D

M24_

Quoted from rytis

[…]

i would argue it’s less die to unlocks and more that people can play spy/heavy/engi/pyro/sniper full time.

Oafmeal

Found the NA topic with a link to the vote results…

http://natf2.com/topics/510-the-new-weapon-bans

For those new to the NA forums, all of Defy’s links lead to NSFW titty pics. XD

rytis

PrettyGay

Quoted from Admirable

[…]

I think this is the highlander fallacy! It is highlander ruleset that enforces that every class must be featured at all times in match. Surely 6v6 is actually far more flexible by comparison? :D

well in pubs people usually play pyro/spy/sniper/heavy and when they come to 6v6 they cant play those classes for the whole map (yes there maps where you can run sniper or heavy for the whole map but we dont play one map do we? *cough* badlands) as its quite situational (pyro defence at last or someone going sniper to get a pick and etc), while at highlander they can do it as much as they want so pubbers dont usually find 6’s that attractive

Last edited by rytis,

herpderp

DAKKA

Quoted from Oafmeal

Found the NA topic with a link to the vote results…

http://natf2.com/topics/510-the-new-weapon-bans

For those new to the NA forums, all of Defy’s links lead to NSFW titty pics. XD

That doesn’t look so different from our unlock threads, they seem to have less admin interaction though :P

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

A quick note on HL.

It is very new, if we take the point of interest in HL being the etf2l challenge cup, this being the start of proper competitive HL, then we can see it is very new. This is why you get growth, it was the same in 6v6.

Now if it is still growing after 12 seasons, then your point may indeed be a valid one, but until then it is very hard to say.

We had a lot of unlocks allowed a few seasons back and there was not the massive influx of people that is seemingly being promised, even a single banned weapon was enough to causes a flame war on SPUF or even on etf2l.

I would say that the fact people can play pyro/spy etc is the larger reason why HL is popular, even though it goes against the design of TF2. In fact using a spy all the time is one of worse things you can do, as a spy should be all about surprise, but the other teams KNOWS that there will always be a spy.

TBH, I don’t think it really matters, we could probably get etf2l growing again, with a bit of marketing, not very hard, but people in this community are too fucking lazy <3

Mercyless

ORACLE

Quoted from CrashSite

TBH, I don’t think it really matters, we could probably get etf2l growing again, with a bit of marketing, not very hard, but people in this community are too fucking lazy <3

o yeah? please share your marketing plan with us

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

Quoted from Mercyless

[…]

o yeah? please share your marketing plan with us

Ok.

First more streams from top players that can then be advertised on all the major sites, maybe also post them on big community sites, such as UKMD etc

Second, make an etf2l cup for only new players and maybe div 6, advertise in game way as streams, offer a decent prize.

Help with reviving the newbie mix group, it has worked so well in NA and kinda died over here. I ended up being the only one trying to organise stuff. They have Invite players, I think I had one, who played once. So this would be huge.

Use i46 as marketing to show everyone the community side of our games, both in the TF2 pub community and the other competitive games.

Ask NA scene what they have done to get it growing, cos lets be honest getting people in a scene where the biggest league is pay to enter is hard.

Some ideas just off top of my head.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 19 20 21 Next »