Forum

Chris' FPS configs

Created 6th June 2010 @ 15:17

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 76 77 78 ... 116 Next »

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from dauk

[…]

Just share your tech mambo jambo and say what would you pref and with how many bits. I will follow and cherish your advice, guru.

xp sp3, 32-bit.

all i’ve used for the past 7 years, all i will ever use until the compatibility is gone.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from octochris

[…]

xp sp3, 32-bit

Keep in mind though that if you ever add more RAM (4gb+), windows won’t see more than 3.something of it. For this reason I’d suggest 64bits (which is faster in general too – except for tf2 according to chris (and he’s probably right)).

But yeah – xp all the way.

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

Keep in mind though that if you ever add more RAM (4gb+), windows won’t see more than 3.something of it.

Windows actually sees all 4GB (well, actually 2^32-1), it’s just that it’s partially reserved for hardware.

For this reason I’d suggest 64bits (which is faster in general too – except for tf2 according to chris (and he’s probably right)).

Enjoy your problems finding drivers for lesser-known hardware. And most performance increases will be placebo, bearing in mind that almost everything you use will be 32-bit (and thus technically slower on a 64-bit processor, even with the 32-bit mode).

dauk

I have oldie cd with xp 32 and sp2, if I will install it will automatically update to sp3 as I remember , yeah?

And yeah Spike I am aware of 32 ram usage

iQue

keso

If you want to use 64-bit, roll Win7. There aren’t many good options otherwise, if you want to play games that is.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from octochris

Enjoy your problems finding drivers for lesser-known hardware. And most performance increases will be placebo, bearing in mind that almost everything you use will be 32-bit (and thus technically slower on a 64-bit processor, even with the 32-bit mode).

Sorry Chris but for once you’re wrong. I’ve run xp64 for ages and never had a single issue with it (well, maybe a few years ago when it was all just new, but that’s more than three years ago). I have more 64-bit capable software than 32-bit, too.
The performance increase is not placebo at all – it is definitely noticable, at least at boot-time.

Most importantly, though, without going into any detail; *it works*.

octochris

(0v0)

I have more 64-bit capable software than 32-bit, too.

You’re not exactly the average demographic.

The performance increase is not placebo at all – it is definitely noticable, at least at boot-time.

Of course it will be faster at boot time, obviously that will be the case. It’s in normal operation that it will be placebo, especially since so much of the normal user’s tools are 32-bit.

Oh and (I put it in my last post but I guess I edited it out by accident), of course you can just use PAE.

Spike Himself

TC

Microsoft Windows implements PAE if booted with the appropriate option, but current 32-bit desktop editions enforce the physical address space within 4GB even in PAE mode.

Lee

I am sorry to disturb all of you, but could I possibly get any support on my issue? I would really like to fix my unstable fps . It really annoys me because I think I should be easily able to run TF2 at stable 120 fps with your config. The discription is on page #76 if you have missed it.

Sorry for bumping uselessly, just want to get some help :)

AnimaL

Quoted from Lee

I am sorry to disturb all of you, but could I possibly get any support on my issue? I would really like to fix my unstable fps . It really annoys me because I think I should be easily able to run TF2 at stable 120 fps with your config. The discription is on page #76 if you have missed it.

get a better cpu, 3ghz e6600 isnt enough for tf2

read my post: http://etf2l.org/forum/off-topic/topic-15152/page-1/?recent=264082#post-264069

for 120stable on w7 id say u would need close to 3.7-3.8ghz

xp might help out to get 100fps on that 3.0ghz, but wouldnt count on 120

octochris

(0v0)

[…]

In all other cases, you must use the /PAE switch in the Boot.ini file to take advantage of physical memory over 4GB.

edit: intriguing, looks like there is an intentional kernel limitation for home operating systems which doesn’t exist on server versions (which was my first encounter with Windows’ implementation of PAE, didn’t think microsoft would be annoying enough to do something like that, but i guess i should have been prepared for it).

Orchid

|=3

Quoted from Lee

Get used to it if u plan to use the same cpu. Im running on a budget e5200 @ 2.5ghz. Jumpy as f*ck (120-75fps)

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Lee

Your CPU isn’t particularly great, that’s more than likely why (although obviously your GPU will factor in).

Lee

Alright, thanks for swift reply , will look into this.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from octochris

[…]

[…]

edit: intriguing, looks like there is an intentional kernel limitation for home operating systems which doesn’t exist on server versions (which was my first encounter with Windows’ implementation of PAE, didn’t think microsoft would be annoying enough to do something like that, but i guess i should have been prepared for it).

Indeed – this limitation does not apply to, for example, server 2003, which is just lame as its basically xp pro anyway :(

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 76 77 78 ... 116 Next »