Forum

Chris' FPS configs

Created 6th June 2010 @ 15:17

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 77 78 79 ... 116 Next »

Jeru

PStM

Any idea why since one of the more recent TF2 patches stickies don’t flash white when destroyed anymore. Thought it was a dx8 thing since other people I’ve talked to haven’t got it, most people have suggested that it was probably some change to whatever my fpsconfig is affecting since a recent patch.

Spike Himself

TC

Scottish resistance stickies?

octochris

(0v0)

As a closer on the 64-bit thing…

Often 64-bit editions of programs are created merely to address compatibility issues present in 32-bit editions which require another build with changes (usually to the way that the program handles operating system dependencies). They don’t actually run in 64-bit, or if they do, the calculations aren’t then optimised for it. This is a well known fact.

Generally the only performance increase you will get with a 64-bit operating system is when doing complex calculations with 64-bit integers. This means the operating system will likely be more responsive and fast, but the programs you run probably won’t since they are likely to be 32-bit (in fact, they will likely be slower).

64-bit is the future. But right now, there is a transitional phase. There is no point in going to a 64-bit version of any operating system if you don’t have a specific need (like an application that requires 64-bit, or you want to address over 4GB of physical memory). On most Unix derivatives you don’t even need to do that, because PAE opens up more addressable space (although perhaps is not to be recommended over simply going with a 64-bit operating system).

You’ve got to understand what an operating system is. An operating system is a group of programs designed to integrate with each other (and designed with consideration for each other), that also forms the backbone for many other programs. Because the operating system and its kernel are 64-bit, they will run faster. The vast majority of the system won’t.

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Jeru

Any idea why since one of the more recent TF2 patches stickies don’t flash white when destroyed anymore. Thought it was a dx8 thing since other people I’ve talked to haven’t got it, most people have suggested that it was probably some change to whatever my fpsconfig is affecting since a recent patch.

If that isn’t a dx8 thing, it isn’t some change in my configs (I’ve not changed anything graphical recently).

Jeru

PStM

Quoted from Spike Himself

Scottish resistance stickies?

I presume it affect scottish resistance stickies as well, though not like I see them in 6vs6 often. Been like it since the australian christmas update I think. Stickies don’t even flash white upon the demo dying, so it’s must be some change to the effect used for stickies being destroyed I guess.

If that isn’t a dx8 thing, it isn’t some change in my configs (I’ve not changed anything graphical recently).

Nah, it’s not a change to your fps config, but I am guessing one of the patches changed the effect the stickies being destroyed used. I’ve even had a fresh reinstall of Windows and TF2 due to my soundcard borking and I stickies still don’t flash on destruction, so it must either be directx8 or one of the lines in the config, but then again I have not heard anyone else had this so I have no idea.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from octochris

64-bit is the future. But right now, there is a transitional phase.

lol what year was this written in? 1996? :p

void

iNh

Very OT:

It is actually theoretically possible that x86_64 binaries is faster than regular 32bit x86 binaries, but that is mostly due to x86_64 has more general purpose registers. This in turn gives the compiler better room for optimizations (it doesn’t have to touch the stack as much as on regular x86).

Most cases of 64bit being “faster” is people running xp64, which is built upon a way newer kernel than regular xp.

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

lol what year was this written in? 1996? :p

it’s still transitional — until the majority of software is written primarily for x86_64, home computing will still be primarily 32-bit (at least in terms of programs).

Quoted from Jeru

[…]I presume it affect scottish resistance stickies as well, though not like I see them in 6vs6 often. Been like it since the australian christmas update I think. Stickies don’t even flash white upon the demo dying, so it’s must be some change to the effect used for stickies being destroyed I guess.
[…]Nah, it’s not a change to your fps config, but I am guessing one of the patches changed the effect the stickies being destroyed used. I’ve even had a fresh reinstall of Windows and TF2 due to my soundcard borking and I stickies still don’t flash on destruction, so it must either be directx8 or one of the lines in the config, but then again I have not heard anyone else had this so I have no idea.

I’m having the same problem too so it’s not only you. I’m using dx9frames.

ouch

still got that crappy looking pipelauncher. is it somehow possible to fix this AND still use maxframes?

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from ouch

still got that crappy looking pipelauncher. is it somehow possible to fix this AND still use maxframes?

it’s because valve introduced lod models to weapons. just adjust your r_lod and r_rootlod values to whatever you want.

AnimaL

Quoted from octochris

[…]

it’s because valve introduced lod models to weapons. just adjust your r_lod and r_rootlod values to whatever you want.

are they set to minimum on ur cfg?

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from AnimaL

[…]are they set to minimum on ur cfg?

yes.

Federal-Foe

All great stuff between 32 and 64 bits, but isn’t TF2 a 32-bit game? It runs in steam which is strictly 32bit when downloaded standard. I have not yet heard of a 64-bit steam overlay, so excuse me if I missed that part.

I know Half Life 2 would have been released in 64-bit, but just read that somewhere on the internet so I have no idea how accurate that info is.

As chris said, 32-bit have a little speed penalty because it needs to go through an emulator in 64 bits OSs.

Everyone says 64-bits is better for gaming, but isn’t that just for games written in 64-bit code???

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Federal-Foe

All great stuff between 32 and 64 bits, but isn’t TF2 a 32-bit game? It runs in steam which is strictly 32bit when downloaded standard. I have not yet heard of a 64-bit steam overlay, so excuse me if I missed that part.

Bear in mind that this applies also to drivers, which can be 64-bit, despite the game’s architecture compatibility.

Quoted from Federal-Foe

I know Half Life 2 would have been released in 64-bit, but just read that somewhere on the internet so I have no idea how accurate that info is.

As far as I am aware, that’s not true.

Quoted from Federal-Foe

As chris said, 32-bit have a little speed penalty because it needs to go through an emulator in 64 bits OSs.

lol’d at “needs to go through an emulator”

Quoted from Federal-Foe

Everyone says 64-bits is better for gaming, but isn’t that just for games written in 64-bit code???

Nobody says that. Anybody who says that is an idiot, and I’ve not even heard morons claim that sort of crap.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 77 78 79 ... 116 Next »