Forum

Help beginners in then, easily

Created 7th August 2012 @ 00:03

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

Wiper

idd.

After i saw Peign’s reply on the “Future of ETF2L” post I decided to make another one of these “Intro to competitive TF2” kind-of Google Docs. His reply in the thread was:
“There are so many people with barely no contacts looking for their very first competitive team in the recruitment area. Why not add them and ask for some mixes? 30 minutes for a good thing. :)”
I made a google document that you can send to your pubbing TF2 friends or people who seem to have potential to go for competitive TF2, it explains competitive TF2 and the playstyles and use of classes, while providing links to different YouTube channels such as skyride’s for the MGE videos and VanillaTV + CommFT. Send this document to your pubbing TF2 friend or a newbie you met in lobby to send them on an adventure. In a year or so they might be the next numlocked, and are casted on CommFT. Please.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EanFK2FEFsUS7kC4BTDGg5S4CQFkVvB8EAinh6A50d8/edit

Oh and the other huge document I made long time ago (not updated, incorrect at some points) is thisone, might still be useful to some low level teams and players: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1O3WXmjvTcSzQtEkDIEAdssR9ToxMGrtfpNJQVBOU15Y/edit

Last edited by Wiper,

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

Also the newbie mix group, that has 2k members. Could use some more admins and managers.

Really simply way to get people involved. Also super easy to get teams form from there. Crouton game from there as well. Just sayin’.

If you want to help, contact me or Mercyless. (Sorry Mercy you don’t know that I posted this <3)

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

If you want to draw some attention to competitive play why not make our own “Meet the competitive…” videos using SFM instead of all those fragmovies people are making? If they are funny, well directed and capture the essence of that class in competitive tf2 it might make people more interested?

Last edited by Koeitje,

Hallow

P.O.P

Quoted from Koeitje

If you want to draw some attention to competitive play why not make our own “Meet the competitive…” videos using SFM instead of all those fragmovies people are making? If they are funny, well directed and capture the essence of that class in competitive tf2 it might make people more interested?

That sounds awesome

Wiper

idd.

CrashSite, already did mention the newbie mix group in the document, if i remember correctly. And yeah, might do a intro video like that at some point, Koetije, but not with SFM…

Russian Guyovich

(Surging Meat Cable)
[T-A!]LoS

Made a Reddit post 4 U

http://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/xt936/introduction_to_competitive_tf2_article/

<3 Amazing work you did there!

TurboTabs

(Classy)
BEER

Quoted from Koeitje

That does sound really awesome actually. Shame we’d be limited in the voice actors department for the in-game characters..

Andee

GoT<3
HoT<3

One thing though:

I’ve read through the document, and it is a big wall of text. Would be more inviting to read, if you would add some nice photo’s, for example of the i-series, or some good links to nice VOD’s, etc. It’s easier to read through such a document when you have some eyecandy. Nevertheless nice initiative :)

Califax

dyn.

Quoted from Andee

One thing though:

I’ve read through the document, and it is a big wall of text. Would be more inviting to read, if you would add some nice photo’s, for example of the i-series, or some good links to nice VOD’s, etc. It’s easier to read through such a document when you have some eyecandy. Nevertheless nice initiative :)

Was thinking the same. Kinda like http://www.cadred.org/News/Article/157101Admirable’s Cadred TF2 Quickstart guide’s[/url]

Bulow

GG

Good read, Wiper! A bit easier and smoother than the original one, though the latter does have a few more ‘advanced’ things. Always nice to see people taking the time and effort to help the community grow.

Last edited by Bulow,

ashkan

Would it perhaps not be best to have everything gathered on the official Wiki? There are of course a few benefits to this:

– Easy to create a good structure/hierarchy that guides the player through all relevant subjects, without being hit with a great wall of text.
Everything is gathered in one place, rather than spread out over YouTube videos, Google documents, blog posts, forum posts, etc. Any necessary videos can be embedded into the Wiki article (or simply linked to).
– Anyone is free to continually improve and update the articles (as you know, most of our existing material is more or less out-of-date since they rely on one person).

Unmoon

M-R

Quoted from Andee

One thing though:

I very much agree with this. Also, isn’t http://etf2l.org/forum/hlrec-pst/ the place for highlander recruitment? :P

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from Wiper

CrashSite, already did mention the newbie mix group in the document, if i remember correctly. And yeah, might do a intro video like that at some point, Koetije, but not with SFM…

How I vision it is not about how to get into competitive play or learning the basics, but more about how you’d envision the character you are playing. There has to be some action that gives an idea of playing competitive, I’d say the best is to focus on the team spirit. For example you could have a scene where the demo is getting piss drunk and having flashbacks about the moments where he lets his team down (missed shots, missed sticky dets, failed roll-outs etc) and he sees his team dying in front of his eyes. Then the alarm bells rings, INTRUDER ALERT, and we swap back to the present where a new focused demo does everything perfectly and saves his team. You could recycle the same scene as in the flashback but now he nails is roll-out and saves his buddies right before there died last time. Of course there also has to be something funny and clever, but whatever.

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

Quoted from Wiper

I know, but not everyone will read through it all. A few more admins and some more managers would help a absolute shit ton.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »