Forum

Recent Patch Bugs (157 nade) Fragga

Created 17th December 2008 @ 09:57

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 ... 11 Next »

F2

Danmark

Wasn’t the “readyteam” feature already in the official game before the tournament feature? How much improvement is the tournament feature over “readyteam” (except you can change team name, lol). Don’t get me wrong, tournament feature is fine. But when is the last time they have done something for the competitive community (only), bar the removal of setup time on granary (which really doesn’t count as they were the ones enabling it in the first place)? Tournament mode was added so many months ago. We have every reason to be pessimistic. :)

Regarding your trust in what Valve is capable of, I think you’re overestimating them. I mean just look at the last update…
“Fixed overheal particle effect showing up incorrectly on disguised or cloaked spies”
How could they not notice that in their testing?

dunc

infs
dp.

The tournament mode was added -purely- for competitive play. No crits can be played on public servers, so could static damage.. but you’re never gonna get tournament mode on a public server so it’s the perfect answer to your question F2 :]

The “readyteam” thing wasn’t in with release either, that was added like a month down the line.

Renegade

Imperial

10 months ago valve did one small thing purely for competitive play.

F2

Danmark

Yeah that’s what I’m saying. The last time they did something for the competitive community only was what… 7-8 months ago? (I started making the pickup bot more than 8 months ago, and I think that was about the time tournament mode was added.) 7-8 months of nothingness. No making well & granary symmetrical. No fixing the overpowered demoman. No making another map like granary/badlands. No cvars to enforce class limits. No sv_setuptime to change or remove the setup time. I’m just being realistic, really… So, even if they did do something about the random damage (like add a sv_staticdamage 1 cvar), I suppose we will have to wait another 7-8 months before they do anything for us again.

AnAkkk

The problem is that there is not enough people complaining about it.
If there would be enough complaining from the competitive players about new features they’d like in the game, I think VALVe would do at least something.

Norris

F2,

pro mod = gift to the game imo. might not even work after steam updates. i’m with dunc, valve gave us a no crit svar even they didn’t liked the idea. they added the tourny mode and new maps. the things you lined up haven’t been fixed because nobody wanted them to be fixed. we had pro gran, we are also able to count to 1 or 2.. etc blah etcaysdasd if there’s a serious problem with random damage then there’s a huge chance that valve is going to fix it for us. just let them look into it.

Renegade

Imperial

The balance of the game has been off for a year. Why is it going to get better some time soon? What are we waiting for?

Evil

GOTTA CATCH THEM ALL

http://www.pokemonworldonline.net/

Mole

DCSB
Hey dats!

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not pessimistic on the origional subject. This raised damage is obviously a bug and not something to get all up in arms about, I agree there. I’d hope its obvious enough that they will get it sorted asap.

However I have no faith in Valve to fix the bigger issues like the random damage. And considering they know how powerful stickies are and have been for a long time, and yet still chosen not to do anything about it then making the demo weaker obviously isn’t up there on their list of priorities. Hence, I have little faith in them catering this game a bit more towards competitive by doing something to improve the state of play, when their 24 man pub hero players are their main audience.

I’d suggest if we wanted to see valve doing something then we all spam the in game bug report function.

F2

Danmark

Quake3 has a pro mod (CPMA aka Challenge Pro Mode Arena)
CoD4 has a pro mod.
What are you afraid of?
No one is gonna make a pro mod anyway. And even if someone did, TF2 would be dead by the time they finished. ;)

Krakyn

rEJ

Valve don’t test the updates and changes, they come up with ideas, make sure they work, then launch them and wait to see how much people bitch about it to see how balanced it is. Robin Walker admitted as much in one of his blog/forum posts and that things like this keep happening is really all the proof you need.

AnAkkk

I’ve tested grenades damages with a cvar which report me the EXACT damage values. It’s even giving decimals.

There is no way I could get more than 132 damage with a grenade. I really don’t know how what you see in the youtube video happened.

But, for the stickies, it’s right, I could get around 165 damage IIRC.

Valve will never change random damage. Why? because that’s one of the only things that make this game so unique. Some times, random damage makes me want to cry (Getting 1-piped as a Sniper ftl), but on other times it made me laugh and feel lucky. It makes the game more diverse, more interesting – not just the same headshot-or-be-killed routine like CS has. You might say that this makes the game less pro – I agree. But imo, it also makes it more fun. And if I’ll have to choose, I’ll take the latter.

Changes are decided by public. Most players play for fun, and that’s what they get with random damage (and crits) – game play that varies. This is also the reason I, personally, hate CS. It’s so damn boring and repetitive. Every shot is the same, just pure aim.

We all know how TF2 is getting kinda boring for repeating itself, being a class-based game – how exactly is removing the one thing that makes it some how different, going to help?

Those new damage values are just bugs. Plus, this is not the first time. Valve will fix it soon.

Rele

seconded player32

except for the fact that pipes can kill low-hp classes in one hit :P They should really change that imo

“I’ve tested grenades damages with a cvar which report me the EXACT damage values. It’s even giving decimals.”

Which cvar is that?

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 ... 11 Next »