Forum

ESA P2P Ultiduo #1

Created 15th July 2013 @ 10:52

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

This is going down tonight. If you think you are good at Ultiduo and want to show off your skills in a tournament with paid entry and prize money, this is your chance.

Tournament link: https://esagamer.com/tournaments/59/TF2-Ultiduo-P2P-1 (you need to be logged in at ESA to access the tournament page)

The signups have been reduced to 16 max. with a top 8 payout. This reduced the maximum prize pool to £64.
Entry is still £4 per team.

20:00 Round of 16
20:30 Quarter Finals
21:00 Semi Finals
22:30 Final/3rd place match

You do not need ESA Premium to sign up but the person signing up the team needs to be 18 years or older.

MightyMe

UbeR |

I just created a team, invited my teammate, and successfully added some funds to my wallet.
But when I want to sign up, my (new) team isn’t there? 2 other teams are there though (solar & lms)
Anything I should do?

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

^ solved.
If you are creating a new team, you may have to log out and log in again or you won’t be able to register your newly created team for the tournament.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from CanFo

You do not need ESA Premium to sign up

Does that imply that having premium is not the same as paying an entry fee for a tournament?

If so which of the two renders you eligible to receive prize money?

Last edited by Spike Himself,

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

Does that imply that having premium is not the same as paying an entry fee for a tournament?

If so which of the two renders you eligible to receive prize money?

Premium makes you eligible for the money prizes in the subscription tournaments and gives you other perks on the site.
The entry fee is only needed to enter this one tournament but you do not need Premium to play in P2P tournaments.

Spike Himself

TC

So they are two entirely different things, and with that you basically have three different tournament formats (open, p2p, premium)?

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

That is correct but matches in all formats contribute towards the team ranking.

Last edited by CanFo,

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

The interest for an Ultiduo tournament with paid entry and money prizes is by far not as high as I anticipated. Looks like this will become an 8 slot tournament with top 4 payout afterall.

numlocked

(king of all rollouts)
Epsilon

Quoted from CanFo

The interest for an Ultiduo tournament with paid entry and money prizes is by far not as high as I anticipated. Looks like this will become an 8 slot tournament with top 4 payout afterall.

:(

Trath

Related but unrelated, is there some ultiduo doublemix/find opponents IRC channel?

Kaneco

Quoted from CanFo

I think ultiduo and other game modes (ex: bball) have really high potential but you need to figure how to pull their fanbase better…

I for example wouldn’t mind playing in a bball or ulti tourney, but I know Ill get my ass kicked (4pounds down the drain).

These tourneys have enormous potential and interest but they need to:
1st have decent promotion (a post on a obscure forum of other league in the morning of the same day shouldn’t even count as promotion)
2nd have a more interesting layout, by this I mean, maybe it could even work as f2p but then you should create different tiers so people from different levels can still have a chance at winning something. Or else keep them 1 tier only but dont make them p2p.
3rd these tournaments need to be casted… I can’t count how many times there have been excellent 1v1 or 2v2 tournament finals on ETF2L (mge, bball, ulti) which didn’t even have stv, let alone a proper cast. These gamemodes are awesome, they add a lot of variety to competitive but they need to be promoted more amongst the lower skilled playerbase so you see some decent numbers popping.

Today morning this was posted on this forum (which btw has a really low number of potential users viewing compared to other forums / websites around), I actually didn’t have nothing to do at work and checked it and saw it in time, but I imagine there’s a lot of people that would play but they have no idea this is going to happen today. Still didn’t register for it because how the hell am I supposed to find someone to play with withing 8-10 hours and while still at work??

Don’t take my criticism wrong, I love what you’re doing, just trying to give my input on this situation.

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

Ultiduo is popular, look at the last ETF2L tournament… the problem is your p2p cup format. I’m not gonna pay £4 to play 1/2 rounds of ultiduo in a cup with no publicity or prestige when I can get more fun ultiduoing on a night playing with friends. Make it a tiny pay-in and group stages before knockout, or even double-elim so that people actually get at least a few games even if they suck. That way you’ll get many more entries, and the end prize money will actually be larger imo. Talk to casting orgs and arrange for someone to cover it, make it more of a serious competition instead of just a random 1 night cup.

If you make it open you’ll get loads of signups but less of a serious feel and the top names might not be bothered. If you make it optional p2p like the 6v6 cups then almost nobody will pay but you’ll get lots of signups, so I think p2p is the right option you just need to make the amount much smaller and give people more for their money i.e. casting, more games they can play even if they lose, a bit of hype and publicity

vani

Bully

20 cet on a monday isnt the best time to host an ultiduo cup, people have 6es/HL/whatever they do to play

Last edited by vani,

Bulle

Epsilon
LEGO

Quoted from Sideshow

Ultiduo is popular, look at the last ETF2L tournament… the problem is your p2p cup format. I’m not gonna pay £4 to play 1/2 rounds of ultiduo in a cup with no publicity or prestige when I can get more fun ultiduoing on a night playing with friends. Make it a tiny pay-in and group stages before knockout, or even double-elim so that people actually get at least a few games even if they suck. That way you’ll get many more entries, and the end prize money will actually be larger imo. Talk to casting orgs and arrange for someone to cover it, make it more of a serious competition instead of just a random 1 night cup.

If you make it open you’ll get loads of signups but less of a serious feel and the top names might not be bothered. If you make it optional p2p like the 6v6 cups then almost nobody will pay but you’ll get lots of signups, so I think p2p is the right option you just need to make the amount much smaller and give people more for their money i.e. casting, more games they can play even if they lose, a bit of hype and publicity

i agree with what that guy said

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

Quoted from Kaneco

1st have decent promotion (a post on a obscure forum of other league in the morning of the same day shouldn’t even count as promotion)

I announced this tournament in a VTF2 post a week ago and in two ETF2L forum posts. Any other place where you’d like to see promotion or where you think it would be more visible? Reddit maybe (although reddit reaches out to an american userbase mainly)?
Quoted from Kaneco

2nd have a more interesting layout, by this I mean, maybe it could even work as f2p but then you should create different tiers so people from different levels can still have a chance at winning something. Or else keep them 1 tier only but dont make them p2p.

I actually thought the winner would not be that easy to predict in Ultiduo, compared to 6v6. An underdog could easily win against a high level player.
Ranking for other team formats might come eventually but I have no way of estimating the skill of a 2v2 Ultiduo team.
Quoted from Kaneco

3rd these tournaments need to be casted… I can’t count how many times there have been excellent 1v1 or 2v2 tournament finals on ETF2L (mge, bball, ulti) which didn’t even have stv, let alone a proper cast. These gamemodes are awesome, they add a lot of variety to competitive but they need to be promoted more amongst the lower skilled playerbase so you see some decent numbers popping.

Well, this is a completely different topic but last time I asked the orgs to cast BBall they said it was not easy to do and you’d need two people just chatting about unrelated stuff over the game, rather than commentate what is going on. I also had the feeling those casts were not as popular but I might be wrong.[/quote]
Quoted from Kaneco

Today morning this was posted on this forum (which btw has a really low number of potential users viewing compared to other forums / websites around), I actually didn’t have nothing to do at work and checked it and saw it in time, but I imagine there’s a lot of people that would play but they have no idea this is going to happen today. Still didn’t register for it because how the hell am I supposed to find someone to play with withing 8-10 hours and while still at work??

As I mentioned above, I announced this a week ago on two places (and I did not want to spam the announcement every two days).
Quoted from Kaneco

Don’t take my criticism wrong, I love what you’re doing, just trying to give my input on this situation.

I don’t take it on the wrong foot, don’t worry. Any criticism is greatly appreciated.

What I got from the others is that a) the buy-in is too high (£2 p. player is actually not that much imo but what would be an amount that you would sign up for?) and b) the time is inconvenient (what times would be more convenient in general?)

I’ll look into free tournaments too but I can only do so and so much. In fact, anyone can host a free community tournament at any time; rules, maps and configs for BBall and Ultiduo are set up at ESA, all you need to do is press a few buttons and you are good to go.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »