Forum

regarding interp

Created 26th September 2012 @ 22:59

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

compleat

I have a doubt that maybe someone can clarify.
Afaik, interp is basically an additional client-side “lag” that is assigned to the game to allow it to predict (interpolate) between ticks (since you only receive at best 66 updates per second). Now if all this is right, then when setting cl_interp 0; cl_interp_ratio 0; cl_updaterate 66 (and without having the server limiting anything) one should be setting the interpolation time to 0, therefore disabling it (since the client has no time to predict).
This should cause the game to just show the 66 information packages it receives, with no prediction in between, and a jerky game overall. However, when setting interp to 0 (when I see “lerp: 0.00 ms” in net_graph), the game still feels pretty fluid, so it doesn’t make much sense…

Can somebody tell me where my logic is flawed on this? Would love to hear what chris has to say about it.

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from compleat

Afaik, interp is basically an additional client-side “lag” that is assigned to the game to allow it to predict (interpolate) between ticks (since you only receive at best 66 updates per second).

You can receive more updates than 66, it’s just that that is the maximum tickrate. It’s not really a client side “lag”, it’s more of an “averaging” of the data (but yes, this does have a comparable effect).

Quoted from compleat

Now if all this is right, then when setting cl_interp 0; cl_interp_ratio 0; cl_updaterate 66 (and without having the server limiting anything) one should be setting the interpolation time to 0, therefore disabling it (since the client has no time to predict).
This should cause the game to just show the 66 information packages it receives, with no prediction in between, and a jerky game overall. However, when setting interp to 0 (when I see “lerp: 0.00 ms” in net_graph), the game still feels pretty fluid, so it doesn’t make much sense…

Firstly, don’t do that. cl_interp_ratio 0 is bugged on the server. When you set cl_interp_ratio to 0, the server acts as if you have it set to 1. This causes hit registration issues as the server lag compensates for an interpolation which isn’t occurring.

I don’t understand why you expect the game not to be fluid at 66 updates a second without any interpolation, anyway. On most monitors, you will be at a factor of 110% compared to your screen refresh rate.

T0m

(ETF2L Donator)

1)Use one of Chris’ cfgs
2)Don’t think about interp etc
3)??????????
4)Profit

compleat

Quoted from octochris

Firstly, don’t do that. cl_interp_ratio 0 is bugged on the server. When you set cl_interp_ratio to 0, the server acts as if you have it set to 1. This causes hit registration issues as the server lag compensates for an interpolation which isn’t occurring.

Oh no, I don’t. I stick to my cl_interp_ratio 1 and cl_interp 0.0152 in most cases. It’s just that I have seen a couple of people using both in 0, and arguing in its favor, and I got asked today about it and remembered I had that doubt, so I came and asked.
Quoted from octochris

I don’t understand why you expect the game not to be fluid at 66 updates a second without any interpolation, anyway. On most monitors, you will be at a factor of 110% compared to your screen refresh rate.

I don’t quite understand your last sentence, would you mind explaining a bit more?
But apart from that, I don’t expect it to be fluid because having 66 updates per second, there is a lapse of 1/66 s ≈ 15.2 ms where your client isn’t receiving any information between packets, which generally is fine since the client predicts using the past ticks received and fills in the missing parts. If you give no time for the client to do that, then there is nothing to fill that with. At least that’s how I understand it works, but I’m clearly missing something or just plain mistaken in some part, so I’d be very glad if you could correct me.

Last edited by compleat,

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from compleat

Oh no, I don’t. I stick to my cl_interp_ratio 1 and cl_interp 0.0152 in most cases. It’s just that I have seen a couple of people using both in 0, and arguing in its favor, and I got asked today about it and remembered I had that doubt, so I came and asked.

There’s no need to do that, just set cl_interp_ratio 1; cl_interp 0.

Quoted from compleat

I don’t quite understand your last sentence, would you mind explaining a bit more?
But apart from that, I don’t expect it to be fluid because having 66 updates per second, there is a lapse of 1/66 s ≈ 15.2 ms where your client isn’t receiving any information between packets, which generally is fine since the client predicts using the past ticks received and fills in the missing parts. If you give no time for the client to do that, then there is nothing to fill that with. At least that’s how I understand it works, but I’m clearly missing something or just plain mistaken in some part, so I’d be very glad if you could correct me.

I suspect that you are simply thinking that 15.2ms is much longer than it is. My point is that most people’s monitors are 60Hz. I think we can all agree that such monitors in general provide a fairly, if not totally, fluid experience. For every one monitor refresh, you will in a best case scenario have had 1.1 game updates (on average).

Ordinator

tuhi

btw anyone know why with cl_interp 0 and cl_interp_ratio 1 my interp go 14.9ms some times? isnt 15.2 is a minimum?or its just a bug

Last edited by Ordinator,

Ordinator

tuhi

double

Last edited by Ordinator,

compleat

The way you said it now… I think I got it. Yes, seems I was thinking 15.2 ms was more than it really was. Thanks for the answers!

TviQ

ft.

Quoted from Ordinator

btw anyone know why with cl_interp 0 and cl_interp_ratio 1 my interp go 14.9ms some times? isnt 15.2 is a minimum?or its just a bug

Im pretty sure 10.0 is minimun but i think ive heard its unstable or some shit like that but 10 is reachable

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Ordinator

This indicates a misconfiguration somewhere.

Quoted from TviQ

[…]
Im pretty sure 10.0 is minimun but i think ive heard its unstable or some shit like that but 10 is reachable

You’re mistaken. 10 would only be reachable if you had 100 updates a second. This is possible in the old Source engine (as was used for a long time in CSS/etc), but is not possible in TF2.

MIndYe

[hePPa]

cl_cmdrate 20001, cl_interp 0, shows lerp 0.00ms on white. Chris, wat is this?

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from MIndYe

cl_cmdrate 20001, cl_interp 0, shows lerp 0.00ms on white. Chris, wat is this?

Why would that not be expected?

Daerados

I’ve got rates 100, interp ratio 1, interp 0 and got 10.0ms yellow – does it affect hitscan reg, i mean worse or better than your configs ones?

Last edited by Daerados,

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Daerados

I’ve got rates 100, interp ratio 1, interp 0 and got 10.0ms yellow – does it affect hitscan reg, i mean worse or better than your configs ones?

If this isn’t a troll, then I just don’t know what to say.

luzik

Suoli
moog

What does the colours even mean in the lerp?

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »