Forum

New Career ... um advise ?

Created 22nd January 2009 @ 14:25

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2

Don Pedro

Dont get a job with anything remotely to do with computers. In fact, don’t get a job at all. go to Thailand, marry a local girl and live on the beach scrounging food and cocktails from tourists.
You can contact me on irc for more career advice, please form an orderly queue

Vlijm

UbeR |

Don pedro, you fancy JUST DIE?
this is a serious thread moron

Don Pedro

terrribly, terribly sorry?

N/A

RaWr ::

Sorry the position of my PA is now Haunter, please not I am still in search for my PAs PA as I have so many fans. Good-luck!

dunc

infs
dp.

The only thing I’ll advise is.. do something you enjoy. The thought of working some piss-poor 9-5 in an environment/job area that doesn’t interest me, for the rest of my life, sniffing managerial arse etc, just to “earn a living” gives me nightmares.

Decide what it is you want to do then find a way in to that market. Don’t go in to a Random Boring Office Job X just to “get on the career path” as you’ll find you end up stuck there for 10+ years.

Admirable

(Toucan Ambassador)

I just started a 4 year sandwich BEng Computer Science degree at the age of 24.
I have to say its one of the best decisions I’ve made, really enjoying the content and I’m even thinking of doing the masters already :)

Obviously university isn’t for everyone, but like Byte says a degree in anything is a great big meal ticket. If you are motivated you will succeed in whichever path you choose, but with university there are a lot of support systems to help you through.

Just make sure you check and compare the content of courses your are interested in and read peoples feedback (particularly about employment afterwards!). There are some mickey mouse courses about :P

GibbZ

WOOOOO!

plus at uni you can go out like 5 nights a week binge drinking and starting fights. It’s well good.

Assault Marine Sigh

@ dunc thats exactly whats happened to me tbh. I originally intended to be in the RAF but somehow life has made me change my mind. Its just not for me and theres too much here to pass up. Plus all ive done for the last 4 years is work in call centres for the money basically. To pay bills. :(

Thanks though guys tbh youve all made me think about this in a new way. I am really seriously considering uni now. I just hope my crap A level’s are enough. lets hope Swansea do what I want.

Assault Marine Sigh

hey guys just an update for those of you that care :) Thanks again.

Byte I am seriously considering something along the lines of what you have done. I honestly dont know whats best for me as although I love desiging things and creating stuff there is so much more about computers to enjoy.
I have looked at Swanse metro uni as I have been advised they do simular courses there ?
http://www.sihe.ac.uk/sihe/computing/sch_home.htm
and maybe this ?
http://www.sihe.ac.uk/sihe/computing/bengcse.htm

Can you advise me if any of those courses would be any good to me :)

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2