Forum

New Competitive CTF concept - thoughts?

Created 26th October 2012 @ 14:09

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »

choiie

keso

With the debate going high on what might make CTF viable in the competitive scene, with experimental maps being created and the general consensus every time being that CTF simply doesnt work in 6v6, I decided to create this thread. The staleness built into the gamemode, coupled with the big differences between the standard 5 CP maps and the average CTF map means it’s nearly impossible to develop a “standard” CTF map that would work in 6v6 (turbine being a miraculous exception with its simplistic design). Personally I’ve been reflecting a lot over the issue, and finally I’ve created a concept that I want to share for some feedback.

The idea is basically taking the standard 5 CP map, and converting it to CTF. This means the gameplay won’t be that different from the one we’re used to, but still hopefully providing some fresh air into competitive maps.

Here’s the basic idea: take a regular 5 CP map. Now, instead of fighting over the mid point at the start, there will be an intelligence unlocked some ten-fifteen seconds into the mid fight, at the mid point. The team that picks it up now “controls” the mid point, and have to carry the flag to the next point. To capture it they have to enter the capture zone while no enemies are blocking it. After a short delay, a new flag will spawn at the same capture point, and pushing will continue. In order to avoid camping with the flag, there will be a two minute timer ticking down, during which time the next point will have to be captured, or a flag that will only be possible to pick up by the opponents will spawn at their second point. Basically, it will be a 2 minute time limit A/D CTF, until either team captures the final point of the opponent. If the flag changes teams, the capture timer resets to two minutes. Should the flag lie on the ground, the timer stops.

You have to agree that the gameplay will be rather similar to the generic 5 CP one, with some major differences.

– Gameplay will be fast. 2 minute timers will force teams to push in order to retain momentum. Will turtling be too powerful?
– Gameplay will be more focused around attack/defense – backcaps won’t be available
– Gameplay might be more versatile, with an intel being the only way of capping diverse strats might be viable.

So… this being said, what are your intial thoughts on the concept? Numbers are of course subject for tweaking, but I really think this might be a way of making CTF work, and at the same time changing up the good ol’ 5 CP concept, without completely leaving it.

Last edited by choiie,

atmo

I’d like CTF to be like the cp_process rollout, so that it includes elements of jump maps and surfing, as well as high/no ceilings for increased mobility. Also allow the quickfix.

Starkie

ulti?
sniper

Quoted from atmo

Also allow the quickfix.

At the moment, I’d honestly say having an extra combat class is better than a quick-fix medic

Califax

dyn.

You kinda discribe THIS map.
We used to play it a lot on Festersplace pub.

Have a look at it.

Last edited by Califax,

Setlet

[offtopic]3 guys use rocket jumper/stickyjumper, 3 guys def. No engies allowed. Instant spawn is also needed, so losing your attackers wont be a huge deal.

Maps also need to have wide open areas.

Imagine, attacking is fun, defending is fun. When you attack, you can use your epic rocketjumper skills to cap the flag. As a defender, you can use your epic airshot/tracking skills to rape attackers. Would be fun as hell. Attacking with 6 people would be a bad idea, because then you have no def and enemy attackers get so many caps.

Also, playing the most boring class (medic) isn’t viable, because you practically never take damage nor you need an ubercharge. Playing a spy sounds a pretty shit idea too. Scout, Pyro, Soldier, Demo, Heavy and Sniper (if he’s good enough) should be viable.

Also, I think the intel area should be “unstickable”, like the control point. (they would bounce off it. So you need to use a lot of time to get good stickies.

No, I’ve never played old team fortress games.[/offtopic]

About your idea, OP, well, I didn’t read it at all because I came with my idea after reading the first sentence of your post. Maybe I’ll read it later.

Last edited by Setlet,

choiie

keso

Quoted from Setlet

[offtopic][/offtopic]

About your idea, OP, well, I didn’t read it at all because I came with my idea after reading the first sentence of your post. Maybe I’ll read it later.

Wat.

Also yeah, something similar to Avanti is what I’m thinking of, but sped up a lot due to the fact that teams NEED to push, or they will lose the intel.

Edit: reading your suggestions again, I think you should take a look at Tribes. That games is all about movement skills and $1Ck airshots.

Last edited by choiie,

taro

I like Setlet’s ideas.

No Engineer, no medic and no heavy because they would slow down the game.

Maps have wide open mid’s, as well as plenty of flanking routes. Map design should also favour rocket jumping and surfing as well, rewarding people who develop those skills.

Another thing that came to mind: bball mod. Maybe just have an enlarged version of that? In the middle of mid is a flag that the teams have to take to the enemies base. Turtling wouldn’t be possible because no engineer, heavy or medic allowed. I suppose OP’s idea is an extended version of this anyway.

SO MANY IDEAS

Also I just ran through avanti, I’d rather play that than turbine.

Last edited by taro,

frixx

LG

Quoted from Setlet

Also, playing the most boring class (medic)

u deserve a punch or 2

silly

Quoted from choiie

Tribes

Quoted from choiie

all about movement skills

are you even trying

Last edited by silly,

choiie

keso

Quoted from silly

[…]
[…]
are you even trying

I’m trying to discuss a possible competitive gamemode, not brainstorm what would make CTF fun in general. Please feel free to join in the discussion, or don’t post at all.

Starkie

ulti?
sniper

To make this balanced I think you’d either need fast spawns for the defenders or a really tight chokepoint for the attackers otherwise it would be far too easy to attack.
Also, ubered pyro pushes would be deadly with a scout carrying the intel right behind him since the scout only needs to be alone on the point for a second. Maybe you could design each point so only the mobility classes could reach it.

MEGAMIDDIE

genuinely think setlet has the best idea in this thread

should make a group for that gamemode

Regen

nf.
9F

You need to make a map like you design a skatepark, everything needs to be “rideable” or in this case surfable and ready to jump.
As said before, no low ceilings and slow to open doors, make it an interesting playground kind of thing.

I swear if anyone would make such a thing i’d probably love it to pieces

choiie

keso

Quoted from Starkie

To make this balanced I think you’d either need fast spawns for the defenders or a really tight chokepoint for the attackers otherwise it would be far too easy to attack.
Also, ubered pyro pushes would be deadly with a scout carrying the intel right behind him since the scout only needs to be alone on the point for a second. Maybe you could design each point so only the mobility classes could reach it.

Well, the same would theoretically work on badlands, with the extremely fast capping time, however it doesnt happen. The idea is that the last points would work very similarly to the current ones, but that the gameplay outside of the last point is sped up severely.

To the people discussing various alterations to the game itself, and not simply a gamemode, please create a different thread. I appreciate your ideas but while surf ramps and skill jumps might be interesting features, it’s nothing I want to build a gamemode around.

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

Any CTF where you can cap the point when your flag is not at your base is shite.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »