Forum

Upload demo in .7z

Created 16th October 2010 @ 23:09

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 6 Next »

Emualynk

GOG

Would it be possible to allow us to upload demos compressed in 7z format?

You get a better compression ratio than with zip format and it’s free unlike rar format (most of people using it have it cracked).
Also every operating system supports 7z format natively.

LikeThis

7zip > winrar

Spike Himself

TC

While we’re on the topic, I’d like to see the ability to upload .bz2 files as well!

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Emualynk

it’s free unlike rar format (most of people using it have it cracked).

you are confusing a filetype with a program.

Quoted from Emualynk

Also every operating system supports 7z format natively.

that’s not correct.

Skyride

DUCS

this thread: http://thelifestream.net/forums/images/smilies/DerpDurrDog.jpg

We could spend all day discussing the pros and cons of various compression algorithms, but quite honestly I could probably count the number of people on etf2l qualified to do so on about 1 hand and at the end of the day it doesn’t really fucking matter.

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Skyride

We could spend all day discussing the pros and cons of various compression algorithms, but quite honestly I could probably count the number of people on etf2l qualified to do so on about 1 hand and at the end of the day it doesn’t really fucking matter.

7z is not a compression algorithm, it’s an encapsulation format for various compression algorithms (mostly LZMA)

shut your game down

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from octochris

[…]

7z is not a compression algorithm, it’s an encapsulation format for various compression algorithms (mostly LZMA)

shut your game down

00:23 – [FB] Chris: getting done on technicalities makes my day
00:24 – [FB] Chris: wtf at everyone predicting cc to win d1

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Skyride

[…]

00:23 – [FB] Chris: getting done on technicalities makes my day
00:24 – [FB] Chris: wtf at everyone predicting cc to win d1

dont fake me bro

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Skyride

I don’t care about the algorithm, it’s just that I’ve got a script that downloads our stv’s off our server and bzip2’s them. Not a big deal to uncompres and then compress again, but allowing different file formats to be uploaded is a) a minor adjustment and b) easier for the users.

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

I don’t care about the algorithm, it’s just that I’ve got a script that downloads our stv’s off our server and bzip2’s them. Not a big deal to uncompres and then compress again, but allowing different file formats to be uploaded is a) a minor adjustment and b) easier for the users.

it’s not hard to write a script to do that with lzma or rar. we do it.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from octochris

[…]

it’s not hard to write a script to do that with lzma or rar. we do it.

That’s not the point :)

point is you’re too lazy to fix the script and want someone else to fix etf2l instead?

nTraum

\V/ Gold
LAME

I love you Chris.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from d1ck j0nes

point is you’re too lazy to fix the script and want someone else to fix etf2l instead?

The script is not broken, so there is no need to fix anything :)

As I said – it’s not a big deal at all, it would merely make things simpler :)

konr

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

The script is not broken, so there is no need to fix anything :)

As I said – it’s not a big deal at all, it would merely make things simpler :)

Or we could all use the same compression and make it much simpler for everyone on the site? Chris has a point.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 6 Next »