Forum

High div players joining lower divs during season.

Created 28th May 2014 @ 22:35

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 10 11 12 ... 14 Next »

Quoted from konr

People should be allowed to play in whatever division they want regardless of what they have played before. I’m playing in div 3 this season because I wanted to play with my friends and I really enjoy scouting so I’m not going to offclass. It’s kind of funny when people act like I’m an asshole for playing a class that I enjoy playing, as if I should be forced to have less fun or play at a higher level just because once I put a lot of time and effort into doing so.

But why should people complain about a d4 scout playing in d3?

:]

frixx

LG

Quoted from Morgus

Someone proposes something that would really work and is being used already in other parts on the world, he gets ignored.
Another one proposes some exotic rule and everyone worships him.
It somehow reminds me of the unlocks debate, we euros are funnily fucked up.

Wow, you are so right and it just so happens that this exotic rule is not in your favour. Really fucked indeed

konr

Quoted from fraac

No one minds you playing in div3.

Did you ask the people that complained at me orrr?
EDIT:
Solid I will fist you
http://puu.sh/97FuM/23863936ed.jpg

Last edited by konr,

Kuferl

(TF2Pickup.net Unicorn)
FLANK

konr this wouldn’t even affect you. I don’t know how often this already got mentioned. restrictions during a season only
I’d have no problem at all with whatever ‘high div player’ players in a lower div, as long as he decides so before the season, so the admins can decide if it is legit or not

Morgus

Quoted from frixx

[…]

Wow, you are so right and it just so happens that this exotic rule is not in your favour. Really fucked indeed

So, for you, it makes complete sense to reinvent the wheel just to see what happens instead of using a tried and tested system?
Seems reasonable.

Freakie

KOLAR
.awkward

Quoted from Morgus

[…]
So, for you, it makes complete sense to reinvent the wheel just to see what happens instead of using a tried and tested system?
Seems reasonable.

To be fair, reinventing something is basically using a tried-and-true system.

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

Quoted from Morgus

[…]
Seems reasonable.

What wheel are you talking about? Something the Americans do?

Morgus

Quoted from fraac

[…]

What wheel are you talking about? Something the Americans do?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss-system_tournament

A Swiss-system tournament is a non-elimination tournament format. There are several rounds of competition, but considerably fewer rounds than in a round-robin tournament, so each competitor (team or individual) does not play every other competitor. Competitors meet one-to-one in each round and are paired using a predetermined set of rules designed to ensure that as far as possible a competitor plays competitors with the same current score, subject to not playing the same opponent more than once. The winner is the competitor with the highest aggregate points earned in all rounds.

The first tournament of this type was a chess tournament in Zurich in 1895, hence the name “Swiss system”.[1]

The Swiss system may be used when it is not feasible to play as many rounds as required in a round-robin, but it is not desired to eliminate any competitors before the end of the tournament.[1] There are a predetermined number of rounds and a predetermined scoring system. All competitors play in each round unless there is an odd number of competitors.

Competitors are paired based on approximately how well (or poorly) they have performed so far. In the first round, competitors are paired either according to some pattern or randomly (according to common practice in that type of game or sport). In subsequent rounds, competitors are sorted according to their cumulative scores and are assigned opponents with the same or similar score up to that point. Some adjustments may be made to assure that no two players ever oppose each other twice or to even out advantages a player may have due to chance.

The Swiss system is commonly used in chess,[1] Go, bridge, Scrabble, squash, Pétanque (boules), Quiz bowl, Magic: The Gathering,[2] Policy Debate, Warhammer, eight-ball, Reversi, Dominion, Pokémon TCG,[3] Yu-Gi-Oh, and other games.

Kuferl

(TF2Pickup.net Unicorn)
FLANK

changing the div/match system of etf2l is another topic than this though ;)

Last edited by Kuferl,

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

Almightybob your proposed rule is far too complex and isn’t based on any kind of evidence at all. You have some players who can literally only play one class (e.g. me, I can only play soldier, everything else is at d4 level or less) and some players who can wreck at any class. You also get some players who could carry simply based on micromanagement, and would be much better on medic than on something combat based. You also get players who are “offclassing” medic in prem, like 2nuts was a few seasons back or Hat has in the past. You also have massive variability in how much worse a player gets after a season out. So many variables that make this rule completely useless and limiting to players.

That’s not even all the problems I see with your rule, I just got bored of typing. I mean there’s honestly so many problems with it and it’s so complex. Plus there’s really really small amounts of sandbagging in eu tf2 – this isn’t even a problem. And it’s utterly nonsensical to say “oh it’s only the prem players complaining because they’re mad at the rule” – of course they’re the ones complaining, they’re the only people it affects!

As for the swiss tournament system, it’s ok but it also means that you’re gonna be melting divs together into larger divisions so you’re gonna get more rolls anyway – at least at the beginning of the season. And you don’t play against everyone; I don’t find it as satisfying tbh. Also it doesn’t solve the problem of higher div players carrying…

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

Bob’s system appears complex but is easily automatable. It’s a solution to the admins’ apparent unwillingness to make discretionary decisions. One or the other would be fine, really.

Fuxx

REMOVE

Quoted from Sideshow

And it’s utterly nonsensical to say “oh it’s only the prem players complaining because they’re mad at the rule” – of course they’re the ones complaining, they’re the only people it affects!

But what about the other people being affected by the nonexistence of a rule?

I’m not going to defend his suggestion because to be honest I didn’t even read his post, but there’s been less drama over etf2l maps and admins responded to that. It’s clearly an issue.

?

Permzilla

(Legend)
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞
WiK?

Quoted from Sideshow

Almightybob your proposed rule is far too complex and isn’t based on any kind of evidence at all. You have some players who can literally only play one class (e.g. me, I can only play soldier, everything else is at d4 level or less) and some players who can wreck at any class. You also get some players who could carry simply based on micromanagement, and would be much better on medic than on something combat based. You also get players who are “offclassing” medic in prem, like 2nuts was a few seasons back or Hat has in the past. You also have massive variability in how much worse a player gets after a season out. So many variables that make this rule completely useless and limiting to players.

That’s not even all the problems I see with your rule, I just got bored of typing. I mean there’s honestly so many problems with it and it’s so complex. Plus there’s really really small amounts of sandbagging in eu tf2 – this isn’t even a problem. And it’s utterly nonsensical to say “oh it’s only the prem players complaining because they’re mad at the rule” – of course they’re the ones complaining, they’re the only people it affects!

As for the swiss tournament system, it’s ok but it also means that you’re gonna be melting divs together into larger divisions so you’re gonna get more rolls anyway – at least at the beginning of the season. And you don’t play against everyone; I don’t find it as satisfying tbh. Also it doesn’t solve the problem of higher div players carrying…

toogyboogy

(ETF2L Donator)
SOFT
bobs

bob can you explain to me what happens if a previously prem div player has been teamless for a season, and then joins a div 4 team mid season. I didnt see if you mentioned that at all.

and in the end this is just something that isnt really a problem to begin with, not a huge one atleast.

the problems with ETF2L rules already is that there are too many rules to begin with. adding another one for one specific situation will only make it worse. You cant be leanient and strict at the same time.

lets look at this at a different perspective. Christiano Ronaldo for some reason joins leeds, maybe the money was better. But is Ronaldo not allowed to play? Ofcourse not. This whole thing is stupid and whoever wants to put restrictions on players are stupid.

edit: Also feels like people forget that people get better as the season progresses. There might be a team that within the first 3 weeks are now heads beyond the other teams in their division. I really don’t see the difference in that and getting a new better player in your team.

Last edited by toogyboogy,

Morgus

Quoted from Kuferl

changing the div/match system of etf2l is another topic than this though ;)

It is because it fixes the problem.

Quoted from Sideshow

You will get more rolls on the first season but as results from past seasons get factored in the system that won’t be a problem. It doesn’t completely solve the problem of higher div players carrying, but it should help a lot, or at least increase the overall competition

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 10 11 12 ... 14 Next »