Forum

High div players joining lower divs during season.

Created 28th May 2014 @ 22:35

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 9 10 11 ... 14 Next »

caeli

#T4F

Quoted from droso

If you’re playing a competitive game, you should be aiming to be the best. You shouldn’t settle for anything below.
If you ever fail on your way to get there, you’re supposed to keep trying by practising hard and improving.

You will never achieve anything with such a whiny attitude. As many others said, you should be glad of the opportunity to play against better players, that’s how you fucking improve FFS! Now grow the fuck up and let this thread die.

that would make sense if we had another match system that makes you play against the same opponent several times, being ETF2L, you learn nothing playing once against these kind of people.

rsz

lmfao people trying to win best speech of season

almightybob

.ps

Quoted from ondkaja

except there are lots of examples of high div players going into low divs and failing because they either weren’t good enough for their high division in the first place or they simply want to chill and not put in so much time and effort. your retarded blanket rule which would force players to either play in a too high skill level or a skill level where they don’t want to commit to anymore.

First can I emphasise, because many many people don’t seem to be getting it, that these rules would only apply if you are trying to move down several divisions AFTER the season has started and teams have ALREADY been ranked by admins. If a prem player wanted to chill out and play in div5, he could – as long as he was in the roster before the admins have grouped teams into divisions. That way the skill disparity would be noticed and taken into account, and skill matching would not have been bypassed.

Now I get that you’re worried about being out of your depth in prem but it’s OK, the rules as I suggested have an exception for medics! Plus they are of course just a suggestion and can be changed – if you have any feedback that’s more constructive than “retarded” feel free to chip in.

To address your specific concerns: It’s pretty unlikely that a player would be recruited to a team 2 entire divisions above their actual level, but of course some sort of system could be introduced to compensate for this if it does happen. There should be a way for a player’s level to decrease as well as increase, because of course a player’s skill can decrease as well as increase. While we’re at it we should add a system to reduce the boundary for players who haven’t played in a long time, so that a returning player isn’t tied to a division they can no longer compete in after a long break.

How about this – the “peak” value only lasts two seasons, then if your current level is lower, it drops to whatever you are at now. And if you do not play any officials, your level drops one div after 6 months, then one every 3 months thereafter.

This is best illustrated by examples.

Let’s say a hypothetical prem medic (who we’ll call… oh I don’t know, kond aja) wants to move down some divs because he’s hopelessly out of his depth. Unfortunately for him he didn’t get his act together and the season has already started, so the mid-season movement restriction is in place.

Now because he was a medic main, he can:
– play medic in any div (medic exception)
– play scout, soldier or demo down to div3 (since all three are non-main combat classes)

If he wants to play lower than that, he can:
– join a div3 team and play out the season, which will reset his level to div3 after the season is over and then he will be able to join lower teams the season after
– take a break and let his level decay down naturally

And now consider a prem soldier who takes a year-long break from officials. Under the “AFK decay rule” he would return to an effective level of div3 soldier, meaning he would only be restricted from playing soldier in div6 – anything else is fair game. And if he gets his ass in gear and joins a div6 team before ranking takes place, even div6 soldier is fair game because again, these rules would only apply to player movements during a season after skill matching has already taken place.

Tseini

Damn!
0FO

Arguments in a nutshell:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywnoLiuVKbE

ondkaja

IKEA

Quoted from almightybob

[…]

First can I emphasise, because many many people don’t seem to be getting it, that these rules would only apply if you are trying to move down several divisions AFTER the season has started and teams have ALREADY been ranked by admins. If a prem player wanted to chill out and play in div5, he could – as long as he was in the roster before the admins have grouped teams into divisions. That way the skill disparity would be noticed and taken into account, and skill matching would not have been bypassed.

Now I get that you’re worried about being out of your depth in prem but it’s OK, the rules as I suggested have an exception for medics! Plus they are of course just a suggestion and can be changed – if you have any feedback that’s more constructive than “retarded” feel free to chip in.

To address your specific concerns: It’s pretty unlikely that a player would be recruited to a team 2 entire divisions above their actual level, but of course some sort of system could be introduced to compensate for this if it does happen. There should be a way for a player’s level to decrease as well as increase, because of course a player’s skill can decrease as well as increase. While we’re at it we should add a system to reduce the boundary for players who haven’t played in a long time, so that a returning player isn’t tied to a division they can no longer compete in after a long break.

How about this – the “peak” value only lasts two seasons, then if your current level is lower, it drops to whatever you are at now. And if you do not play any officials, your level drops one div after 6 months, then one every 3 months thereafter.

This is best illustrated by examples.

Let’s say a hypothetical prem medic (who we’ll call… oh I don’t know, kond aja) wants to move down some divs because he’s hopelessly out of his depth. Unfortunately for him he didn’t get his act together and the season has already started, so the mid-season movement restriction is in place.

Now because he was a medic main, he can:
– play medic in any div (medic exception)
– play scout, soldier or demo down to div3 (since all three are non-main combat classes)

If he wants to play lower than that, he can:
– join a div3 team and play out the season, which will reset his level to div3 after the season is over and then he will be able to join lower teams the season after
– take a break and let his level decay down naturally

And now consider a prem soldier who takes a year-long break from officials. Under the “AFK decay rule” he would return to an effective level of div3 soldier, meaning he would only be restricted from playing soldier in div6 – anything else is fair game. And if he gets his ass in gear and joins a div6 team before ranking takes place, even div6 soldier is fair game because again, these rules would only apply to player movements during a season after skill matching has already taken place.

yeah let’s implement an overly complex system that doesn’t even work. what division you are in isn’t even an indicative of your skill. a div 6 scout could be better than a div 2 scout except one is allowed to join a team mid-season and wreck shit and the div 2 scout is not. also, a prem medic main-calling in division 6 isn’t that big of a deal, am i right?

i don’t even understand the problem. if someone is carrying the team he is carrying, his previous experiences don’t matter.

MEGAMIDDIE

PINT

Any system can be bypassed by safe usage of alts anyway. ;)

Tornf4lk

cc//

Quoted from ondkaja

[…]

yeah let’s implement an overly complex system that doesn’t even work. what division you are in isn’t even an indicative of your skill. a div 6 scout could be better than a div 2 scout except one is allowed to join a team mid-season and wreck shit and the div 2 scout is not. also, a prem medic main-calling in division 6 isn’t that big of a deal, am i right?

i don’t even understand the problem. if someone is carrying the team he is carrying, his previous experiences don’t matter.

and your last sentence just continues to prove that we aren’t talking about the same thing. The original issue being higher div players joining teams after seeding

Last edited by Tornf4lk,

ondkaja

IKEA

Quoted from Tornf4lk

[…]

and your last sentence just continues to prove that we aren’t talking about the same thing. The original issue being higher div players joining teams after seeding

after/before seeding doesnt matter… if someone is joining during the season and carrying it doesn’t matter whether he has prem experience or not

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

Quoted from ondkaja

[…]

after/before seeding doesnt matter… if someone is joining during the season and carrying it doesn’t matter whether he has prem experience or not

If someone without higher div experience joins midseason and carries that’s cool, it’s part of the game, it’s a good thing. If a prem player joins your d3 team midseason and carries it’s dodgy. This seems pretty obvious.

CommanderX

(ETF2L Donator)
TEZC

I’m really sorry i’m too good and have ruined div2 for everyone guys

Tuto

8-)

Play or ban

Kuferl

(TF2Pickup.net Unicorn)
FLANK

So, ‘nothing’ more from admins than questions that got answered already?

I mean after re-reading permzillas answers, i think he also didn’t understand that the restrictions would be during a season only.

I mean honestly, the only ‘real’ arguments against this were mostly from high div players saying why they aren’t allowed to have fun.
On the other hand bob wrote some really legit sounding stuff for this rule, and even writing how it can be applied.

Also, anything more from kkaltu, as he was the one I originally talked to over irc, would be nice to hear some arguments as i’m not allowed to post our conversation apparently even though i stated it i’ll reference it during it.

Most importent:
Quoted from Tuto

And if you see us win first place by the end of the season, i fucking owe you an unusual hat. Goodnight.

Not gonna forget that one Tutorial ;)

Last edited by Kuferl,

Morgus

Someone proposes something that would really work and is being used already in other parts on the world, he gets ignored.
Another one proposes some exotic rule and everyone worships him.
It somehow reminds me of the unlocks debate, we euros are funnily fucked up.

konr

People should be allowed to play in whatever division they want regardless of what they have played before. I’m playing in div 3 this season because I wanted to play with my friends and I really enjoy scouting so I’m not going to offclass. It’s kind of funny when people act like I’m an asshole for playing a class that I enjoy playing, as if I should be forced to have less fun or play at a higher level just because once I put a lot of time and effort into doing so.

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

No one minds you playing in div3.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 9 10 11 ... 14 Next »