Forum

Natural Selection 2

Created 6th September 2012 @ 09:23

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 ... 11 Next »

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Would love to play this more, but I still get hampered by FPS issues… The exosuit is fucking awesome though :D

Cobby

-9m-

Quoted from skeej

Would love to play this more, but I still get hampered by FPS issues… The exosuit is fucking awesome though :D

Now that they have all the features in the game that are going to be 1.0 they are concentrating on optimisation & balancing, so fingers crossed it gets better FPS.

They are also running a tournament, so you can see how the game plays competitively on the 20th/21st October. Details below:
http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2012/10/logitech_beta_tournament

The NS2 twitch Channel http://www.twitch.tv/naturalselection2 also has recorded comp games to give you an idea of how it’s played.

Last edited by Cobby,

Rubikon

Up to play some games when its out, kinda bad at playing as aliens tbh :/

ouizzeul

BnR!

I always forget to preorder that game… but i want it!

NS1 was a masterpiece, combat mode ruined it and i’m sad that combat is still there.

vaxjo

Hey dats!

I rather liked combat, it was nice time off from the “classic” game mode. Sadly it also fractured the scene a bit and it got tougher to find good ns_ on publics.

Shitty custom mods on servers(gorgelift excluded!), so called fun maps and bots are what made it worse for me >:(

Hope they succeed at fixing the performance issues in time for release, it’s a real turnoff.

Last edited by vaxjo,

Vyal

Got a free copy from my friend who plays in duplex. 8)

Can’t wait to play it :)

Cobby

-9m-

Combat mode isn’t going to be supported by the developers but the game is incredibly moddable, and there are a number of combat style mods being worked on. Expect a lot of interesting mods if this game (and it’s engine) hit the mainstream.

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

A friendly spanyard gave me a gift copy o. I can remember the launch of NS1 like it was yesterday..

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Quoted from vaxjo

Shitty custom mods on servers(gorgelift excluded!), so called fun maps and bots are what made it worse for me >:(

SIEGEMAPS4LYFBRO

Admirable

(Toucan Ambassador)

Patch last night with big performance increases for many.
Check it out!

Cobby

-9m-

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2012/10/beta_build_224_released

Look at this beast of a changelog

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Tried it last night, it’s actually “playable” for me now with everything on the lowest settings… Still, it’s the game with the biggest fps-fluctuations I’ve ever played… So inconsistent. And when that keep happening in battles, it’s still not enjoyable enough because the outcome is sometimes based on sheer luck.

Some of the comments about the latest updates ring quite true. Especially the ones about their proprietary engine. I mean, seriously, which part exactly that is now in the game would in NO WAY work if this game were a Source-engine mod? Yes, they would have to give up their completely-dynamic-lighting model, but it’s not like they make perfect use of their cherished processing-power hog. Rooms turn from white-lit to red-lit when the power goes down, whoopty-doo, lightmaps can do that too.

From what I’ve heard the fact that the whole game works on LUA limits the developers ability to make this game run as smoothly as any other game with comparable graphics. The advantage is that almost everything runs realtime, and that developers and mappers can change things on the fly and see direct results ingame (no more compiling). Considering the audience for this game will never reach CoD numbers, what’s the huge advantage there? There won’t be tons of devgroups making insanely huge mods for NS2, that’s just not gonna happen. It’s just a whole lot of trouble for minimal returns.

And about the developer attitude; Do they really know what they are doing? It feels like none of the devs really know what made NS1 great. Anyone who followed NS2’s development has seen all the radical changes that the devs introduced, under the slogan of modern game mechanics, enjoyable gameplay, differentiation for the sake of differentiation, change for the sake of change. Just a few random examples: Bilebomb going from class to class, leap not being secondary attack, removing parasite because they were sure it was a bad mechanic, lerk not being able to bite because it was too much like a skulk, nadelauncher being an attachment because its not “fun” to be the nadelauncher guy, etc etc etc. This list of idiotic ideas and changes goes on FOREVER and most of these ideas and changes have been eventually tuned back to what in the end closely resembles NS1 mechanics, because they WORKED, opposed to these random ideas which weren’t even thought through properly by the devs. What about the random changes to how sentries work? At one point sentries were supposed to be used offensively? Seriously?

Woah, I even forgot about the fade… Remember how retarded the new blink was? The devs were completely convinced about how genious and next-gen it was compared to “shitty” NS1 blink. “You even see a preview of your player model where you point your blink crosshair!!! AMAZING!!!” Now look at how blink works; oh, what a surprise, just like NS1, but with shitty movement due to their Spark engine not having any interesting movement mechanics/physics at all…

Inb4 the devs succumb to reasoning and reintroduce hive jumping, even though they stated many times that it was not good to have it in, solely for the sake of team asymmetry… Maybe we’ll get Gorge web (which is actually useful against jp, opposed to that “lol it’s just like minecraft green ball spit thing) and acid rocket back too eventually…

lol I actually just wanted to reply to this topic that my fps improved a bit, but not enough, turned into quite a rant, soz xD

nvc

i’d be interested in a few games on launch with some non shit players to teach me, gogo

Admirable

(Toucan Ambassador)

NS2 just gone live.
TF2 is dead.

vaxjo

Hey dats!

NS2 released.
Strange thought.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 ... 11 Next »