Forum

Natural Selection 2

Created 6th September 2012 @ 09:23

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 11 Next »

Swarlz

So who’s going to be playing this in release date? What do people think about the competitive scene, NS1 had a nice small little competitive scene but surely NS2 can do it better.
Thoughts?

Waebi

‹Con›

I’m too bad and afraid to get on a server and get yelled at ((

Kvux

/./
LEGO

I’m definetly going to play it, I didnt give them money to make a game for nothing.
Hopefully the scene will be bigger than what it was in NS1, I’m looking forward to actually playing it competetively.

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Performance framerate-wise is still not good enough for me to play this game seriously. Everytime I get into a fight I get huge fps drops and then I end up spraying and praying for a kill :/

Quoted from Waebi

I’m too bad and afraid to get on a server and get yelled at ((

Don’t worry, the pubs are crowded with people who don’t know what the fuck they’re doing. And otherwise just go marine and shoot&build stuff, easy.

caeli

#T4F

It will kill tf2 like Shootmania and Brink did.

Henghast

open
bobs

Meh it looked ok but the price listing was £18.99 or close yesterday. Considering I paid half that for CS and CS is a lot more popular and polished I dont much fancy paying £20 for a stand alone source mod game regardless of how much fun NS was.

Orchid

|=3

Quoted from caeli

Brink

Never heard of it

Black_Bob

[DA]

I bought it yesterday since some of the gameplay footage reminded me of the first game I played online AVP2.

FF63

YOYO\'

I preordered NS2 special edition back when they first opened for preorders. It’s getting more and more polished every single patch :D

beta

RaWr ::

When it’s actually decent, I will buy it…I was a big NS1 player and I did enjoy it :)

Nicolas Cage

BM

Quoted from Henghast

Meh it looked ok but the price listing was £18.99 or close yesterday. Considering I paid half that for CS and CS is a lot more popular and polished I dont much fancy paying £20 for a stand alone source mod game regardless of how much fun NS was.

They built their own graphics engine from the ground up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_Selection_2#Game_engine .

Sketch

MM

brink

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Quoted from Henghast

I dont much fancy paying £20 for a stand alone source mod game regardless of how much fun NS was.

Fair enough if you think the price is too high (should’ve pre-ordered it earlier for 20 USD ;)) but just to clarify, this has nothing to do with Source anymore. They started off on building the game as a Source mod but quickly abandoned the engine because it limited them in their goals for a worthy NS successor. NS2 is built of their in-house coded engine, of which the fundamental part is all coded by 1 guy, including the SDK and mapmaking tool (which is supposed to be even easier than for instance Valve’s Hammer).

This is a good thing and bad thing. They can build the game exactly to their liking, there are has some fancy technological features (every light is dynamic, no static precalc lighting) but on the other hand, there are still performance issues, people don’t like the collision/physics (the goldsrc movement mechanics are what elevated the competitive game to a next level). The game will support extensive modifiabilty though, so the devs are expecting people to recreate NS1 with all it’s classic mechanics, variables, and movement feel. NS2 ProMod?

Oh and btw, guys, don’t compare this to Brink or Shootmania. Unknown Worlds aren’t pumping money into a possible competitive scene, they aren’t making any promises they can’t fulfill, they’re just set on making a good game that also happens to support a competitive mode. Another thing that is different from SM and Brink is that many top TF2 players (including oldskool NS players) are already disregarding the game because it’s too casualified compared to it’s predecessor.

Last edited by skeej,

howdeh

Perilous
WUL

3 years ago, sure… now? No thanks, the hype is gone.

MEGAMIDDIE

PINT

There was a point where I watched every video that came out about ns2, it was like what happened when I wanted to buy tf2 in 2007, but the magic went and I just don’t give a shit any more.

And, the game gives me headaches and low fps.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 11 Next »