Forum

Force-A-Nature

Created 14th June 2009 @ 21:36

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 ... 38 39 40 ... 64 Next »

Evil

TF2 won’t be a big game as their aren’t enough competitive teams, in 1.6, CS:S and CoD4 at each event online or offline there are several teams that could potentially win it on any given day, but in TF2 there’s 2/3.

gryzor

TF2 won’t be a big game as their aren’t enough competitive teams, in 1.6, CS:S and CoD4 at each event online or offline there are several teams that could potentially win it on any given day, but in TF2 there’s 2/3.

How true.

ambra

well tf2 is just quite unlucky tbh… the first tf wasnt a big game like cs was so when tf2 was out there were less fans than how many where from cod2 and cs for their successors… moreover, tf2’s original look may attract some people but a huge chunk of players things “lol, gay” when thinking of tf2 right before going back to his warrock (omg, really gay) or CS.

Its maybe just a matter of time since I dont really think that our game is inferior to cod or cs… quite the opposite from any point of view tbh…
so thats why I think we should be more intersted in the actual features of the game (all of them) than in trying to replicate style from other games (a certain pace, certain mechanics) and rules and applying them here.

zodiak

Then think about how long this game exists and how long CS exists… i played CS earlier before i switched to quake untill version 1.2 and that is err… 8 years ago? so there are way more years between and the community CAN grow up and it does! As you could see in season 4 and 5 … as i started with TF2 in Season 4 there were 40 less teams than noch in season 5! Maybe it wont become thus competetive than CS but maybe atleast a bit and in further times, give it like 8 years it will be “professional” like CS!

insane flick shots: read as pure luck and deciding a game in a single mouseclick which might possibly be entertaining if you are 10 years old and don’t have the slightest clue about strategy.

+1

ket-

I partly disagree with what Evil said.

In each game there’s always a couple dominating teams if not just one. Fnatic has been winning pretty much everything they attended over the past 2 years if I’m not wrong (I’m not following the scene that closely tho but I think that’s about right) and it’s always the same 2-3 teams behind (SK, ex-MYM/Wicked, mTw) apart from the occasional mouz or something, which is pretty much like TF2.

In CS:S, RedLine (I think, might be another team, a french one) has been dominating the scene if I’m not wrong. In CoD4 I can’t say, unfortunately that game didn’t appeal me competitively at all and I never could be arsed reading news about it.

Anyway, Evil is still right more or less, but I think it’s more that in those games there are always more teams that will provide top plays and proper exciting matches, as oppposing to TF2.

I still think it could change though, if Valve could be arsed to organize a series (or even just a couple) of big tournaments with a good cash prize. Big MGOs would most likely get interested in the game, and that would launch the whole process. MGOs interested = more fans that follow the game = more tournaments = more teams/MGOs, etc.

eoN^

Anyway, Evil is still right more or less, but I think it’s more that in those games there are always more teams that will provide top plays and proper exciting matches, as oppposing to TF2.

Kinda fits with what everyones been saying about Loco and a few others picking up players and training them up for higher divisions, the more people that do that the more people there will be in higher divisions and the more challenges there will be for top teams in the future :)

Evil

I partly disagree with what Evil said.

In each game there’s always a couple dominating teams if not just one. Fnatic has been winning pretty much everything they attended over the past 2 years if I’m not wrong (I’m not following the scene that closely tho but I think that’s about right) and it’s always the same 2-3 teams behind (SK, ex-MYM/Wicked, mTw) apart from the occasional mouz or something, which is pretty much like TF2.

In CS:S, RedLine (I think, might be another team, a french one) has been dominating the scene if I’m not wrong. In CoD4 I can’t say, unfortunately that game didn’t appeal me competitively at all and I never could be arsed reading news about it.

Think you mean Reason. But I still don’t see the simarility between 5/6 massive mgo teams with a good chance of winning to TF2 where dignitas win pretty much everything.

ket-

I don’t think so.

As offensive as it is, I do think shit players will remain shit players, and will always constitute a large majority of the player base in any game (well, I got pretty high standards). But the larger the community is, the more good players there will be.

Other factor is simply the tourneys, look at Painkiller, it never had a huge community but it had a pretty good competitive scene (although 1v1 of course) despite being a very average game.

A bad player will become less bad with experience and can maybe aim for div2 (in the current status of divs), but that’s about it. Most of the top players in the scene have been at the top for pretty much as long as they have played. I still think after a couple weeks of “intensive” play you can already see who’s good or not, and in general you can judge someone after a couple months, past that period it’s just experience making the difference, not talent.

[Edit] Was replying to eoN^

And addendum : Evil, I’d be glad to have statistics on that, but I read esports-news everyday and those are the results. I’m not saying other teams don’t win anything, but when those teams participate, they win nearly everytime.

Evil

And addendum : Evil, I’d be glad to have statistics on that, but I read esports-news everyday and those are the results. I’m not saying other teams don’t win anything, but when those teams participate, they win nearly everytime.

I’d love to see the statistics where RedLine have won anything. You even admitted you don’t know much about the CoD4 scene, so your e-Sports knowledge really only extends to 1.6.

eoN^

So your saying bad players stay bad but after a few months its no longer talent its experience? How do you think you get experience :p If you always play in div5 you wont get better unless you have a member in your team knowing what hes doing and calling well etc, if not the only way to get experience is to be picked up by someone from a better team that can teach you more and get you to a higher level of play.

I do agree its mostly experience and aim is just amount of time played tbh. Fair enough some people are talented but I wouldnt class playing other games for years then moving to tf2 and being able to aim as “talented” :D

EDIT; all i know about CS:S is that redLine have some decent DM servers :X oh and HSMod.

ket-

I’d love to see the statistics where RedLine have won anything. You even admitted you don’t know much about the CoD4 scene, so your e-Sports knowledge really only extends to 1.6.

I said myself I wasnt too sure about the name anymore, but everytime I read about a big international event with that team participating, it was that french team winning. Might have been h2k, I really can’t remember, but I’ll look it up if needed.

iQue

keso

Errr, l2adapt? Really? How about you learn to adapt to cl2?

I DO adapt to CL2 and find it a bit repetitive at times, that’s why I want CL1 to be tried out in a large scale so you can get a good feeling for it. If it’s worse, we’ll just go back to good ol’ CL2.

l2think

The competitive side of TF2 will always be a bit of an outsider due to several reasons, the game is by many considered just a pub game and I know many CS and CSS players that love it but never could imagine playing it competitively… not enough CS for those fans, and not enough Quake for those fans.

I mean you don’t end up on pickups and a decent 6v6 team the first thing you do when you start to play TF2. No, you end up on (worst case scenario) a 32 player cp_orange all crits server, and how competitive is that style of play?

Valve, while they have been rather generous with support for competitive play the latest months, were really lazy in the beginning and it took rather a while to get a nocrit cvar together with other competitive features. The first months or so are pretty crucial for gaining a decent community and the pubbers loved it while hardcore players found it way too casual, mostky because of the spamfests most pubs are together with crits and random damage.

Fragga

FRAGGA`s
RIP

My argument was obvious, so obvious in fact that it got an instant reaction. Of course CL1 will spread the talent and make more top teams capable of competiting for a top spot, thats exactly why agron even bothered to reply to me. Dignitas will still likely be the best but the gap wouldn’t be so great.

Edit: we don’t play CL2 we cap medic and demo at 1 already and many teams don’t always run x2 soldiers. The issue is the scouts and everyone knows why.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Tell me then, since scout duo’s dominate, what is the reason other teams can’t have dominating scout duo’s? I refuse to believe only like 4 teams or something can pull this off.

Fragga

FRAGGA`s
RIP

It’s because the skill gap between the very top scouts and everyone else is huge – if there was more top scouts there would be more top teams simple as.

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 ... 38 39 40 ... 64 Next »