Forum

PoV-Record [2.0.5] Working again

Created 26th September 2009 @ 12:25

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 23 24 25 ... 74 Next »

archy

Quoted from octochris

[…]

It seems they already shipped the update with the addon block for L4D2, so unless they are just taking their time, it looks like TF2 will be left alone.

Will email Robin and ask.

that was actually my point. why should they block some plugin for tf2, that does not provide any advantage.

the l4d2 plugin made your fov bigger. obvious why they would forbid such a plugin. even if someone stated that valve was going to ban all plugins, it would just have been ridiculously stupid.

“Someone exploited in L4D2.” – “What shall we do?” – “Let’s forbid TF2 plugins!” ???

sometimes i just dont understand valve…

note: i didnt read the whole steamforums thread

Extremer

They wanted to block the exploit that allowed that plugin to be executed. Afaik PREC uses the same method to work.

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Extremer

They wanted to block the exploit that allowed that plugin to be executed. Afaik PREC uses the same method to work.

Well, not exactly, but it does still inject itself into hl2.exe.

Quoted from octochris

[…]

Well, not exactly, but it does still inject itself into hl2.exe.

It doesn’t inject itself… hl2 loads up the dll on its own, which is totally legal and controlled by valve.

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from dotfloat™

[…]

It doesn’t inject itself… hl2 loads up the dll on its own, which is totally legal and controlled by valve.

yes, “inject” was the wrong word, blame my 3am mind farts.

but still, it’s not really /controlled/ by valve, I mean, they don’t implement any sort of WL (or BL?) — if they did block addons, a WL would be pretty useful.

Quoted from octochris

[…]

yes, “inject” was the wrong word, blame my 3am mind farts.

but still, it’s not really /controlled/ by valve, I mean, they don’t implement any sort of WL (or BL?) — if they did block addons, a WL would be pretty useful.

No need for any lists if they fix the exploit… or just live with it. There’s a fov exploit in QW, nobody seems to complain though. (Don’t take my word for it :P)

Skyride

DUCS

The L4D2 plugin only changed viewmodel fov anyway, not actual fov. theres a big difference.

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Skyride

The L4D2 plugin only changed viewmodel fov anyway, not actual fov. theres a big difference.

yeah, it doesn’t make any sense that they would ban it to be honest. if they just unlocked viewmodel_fov people wouldn’t have to do this sort of stupid shit. with that said, it seems more of a generic ban on addons than that specifically.

octochris

(0v0)

Message from Robin I just got, they are blocking addons in TF2.

Hi Christopher.
Yes, we’ll be blocking client-side plugins in TF2 as well. VAC will be handling it, so it’ll apply to all VAC enabled games.The reason behind the blocking is quite straightforward: cheating, in particular in competitive matches. If players can run client-side plugins, they can easily cheat in any number of ways that’ll ruin your competitive matches, from simple things like enabling the use of all convars that are supposed to be marked as cheats, to more complex things like wallhacks and aimbots.

PREC is super neat though, and we’ll either allow it specifically, or integrate its functionality directly into the game.

Robin.

fuck yeah prec is not going to die!

Quoted from octochris

…simple things like enabling the use of all convars that are supposed to be marked as cheats, to more complex things like wallhacks and aimbots…

But, if I know my shit correctly, addons don’t have access to those areas. Those are the stuff that needs to be injected…

Would be so much easier if they had a script system similar to sh scripts.

(There dies my great idea of creating an admin plugin :S)

tesco

mrp.

“integrate its functionality directly into the game.”

it would be awesome, but we all know, this won’t happen as the new demo format either :(

Quoted from tesco

“integrate its functionality directly into the game.”

it would be awesome, but we all know, this won’t happen as the new demo format either :(

Maybe it will coincide with the new demo thingy too (and engie update, for all we know)?

tesco

mrp.

the first information(email from robin walker) about the new demo format was in 2008 january, and they said, “almost done, it’s already is beta”

Quoted from tesco

the first information(email from robin walker) about the new demo format was in 2008 january, and they said, “almost done, it’s already is beta”

Converting that from valve time to real time that would be… around now, yeah.

Painstouch

However they wanted, just let make it happen. PREC is outstanding plugin to take care of little things and yes, it should have been already part of the game imho.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 23 24 25 ... 74 Next »